Price for used angle iron
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Price for used angle iron

I am going to a scrap yard to buy some used angle iron for a project, and wondering if anyone knew what it's going for by the pound or linear foot. This is the first time purchasing steel for me, and I would like to go there prepared if possible.

The only thing I can gauge it by is this website: http://www.centaurforge.com/products.asp?dept=175 which sells it for
    $10.75 for an 80-inch stick of 2 x 2 x 3/16.

Thanks for any responses.
    Last edited by kevey; 07-11-2006 at 08:42 PM.
    Lincoln AC-225

Re: Price for used angle iron

Call your local steel supplier, they will give you the current price per pound. then you have to figure the pound per foot of the material you are buying. As a general rule of thumb, don't pay more than 1/2 the price of new material.

Thanks Gary.
    Lincoln AC-225

The price on that site isn't too far off base.( a little high) Plan on spending .90 to 1.10 a linear foot depending on your location.
    Bill

Iron is a little high where I am, but it's fair considering that we ain't the mecca of anywhere. About 20-30 days ago I bought a 20 foot stick of 2x2x3/16ths for 28 bucks after taxes. So $1.40 a foot or 58˘ a pound. Around here scrap runs about 16˘ tp 20˘ a lb if you pull it out of the pile. I've never had any experience with buying used stuff after it has been pulled out and sorted by the yard.

I just bought some salvage angle and box tube for 80 cents per pound at a local yard that has completed it's transition from friendly, interesting scrap yard to snotty, very unfriendly steel supplier. The 80 cent price is for stuff that is stored outdoors and distressed in some way like bent, rusty, or otherwise not prime, new stock. However, by careful selection I was able to get pretty good stuff with negligible rust. Nice, clean 2-1/2 x 2-1/2 x 3/16 angle and some 1-1/4 x 1/16 square tube that was only slightly smashed at one end, but a lot of the stack was more seriously bent. I hadn't bought steel for several months prior to this purchase and it seems that prices have spiked lately. Since I was in a rush and the purchase was small, I didn't shop around.

awright

Great answers everyone! I am going this afternoon with some good information. Many thanks.

dan
    Lincoln AC-225

10 to 20 cents per pound

A buddy of mine who works at a steel fabrication shop says the scrap buyer pays them 4˘ per pound.
    Stonebreaker
    Graduate of the John Wayne School of Linguistics

The yard I went to this week charged 25 cents/pound. Maybe a little high from what I've read on this forum.
    Lincoln AC-225