Lincoln Idealarc Tig-250/250
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Lincoln Idealarc Tig-250/250

Any opinions on the Lincoln Idealarc Tig 250/250. I am looking at one for sale to get started on learning tig. I know its an older discontinued welder but any input from those who have experience with one would be appreciated.
    Sure, I can fix it... I got a welder!!!

Re: Lincoln Idealarc Tig-250/250

its a good welder have used one for over 16 yrs still going strong, i weld alum-ss every day. oh its a great ac/dc stick machine too. myself i wouldn t be affraid to buy it, if the price is right. try it b4 ya buy it

It's an ebay thing, the price is up to almost $600 but hasn't hit the reserve. I'm not sure how much its worth but if it goes much higher I'll probably just save a little while longer and buy something new. Heres the link if anyone else wants to see...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Linco...ayphotohosting
    Last edited by fwalz3; 07-14-2006 at 06:29 PM.

i looked and i would call (offers number) ask what res. is? but shouldn t be too high it is old but not antique..may be late 80s.. and it weighs a lot

Quote Originally Posted by prop-doctor
    its a good welder have used one for over 16 yrs still going strong, i weld alum-ss every day. oh its a great ac/dc stick machine too. myself i wouldn t be affraid to buy it, if the price is right. try it b4 ya buy it

I've had one for about ten years now and I really like it. It has lots of power and does an excellent job on Stick and also aluminum and stainless with TIG.

I think they work best on TIG with a liquid-cooled torch. I run water with a little Dex-cool in it and I have a tank with mine. If you have a sink near the welder, you can run tap water and it works fine.

The only issue would be shipping it. They weigh in at around 450 pounds for the machine alone.

Oops, I see that he only will allow local pickup. That's not a problem if you are nearby. You'll need a truck. There is a lifting hook on the center top of the machine.

The machine looks pretty good and it has the fool pedal. You'll be needing that. If it's in good woking condition, $600 or thereabouts is a good price. Only thing missing is the water tank. The machine should have the water solenoid inside of it ready to hook up. The manual and parts lists are on the Lincoln site. Code 8809 and later.

Good luck.
    Last edited by gnm109; 07-14-2006 at 09:54 PM.

Thanks all for the advice. The auction ended at $861.00 but still didn't hit the reserve. I guess I'll keep looking and saving.

No TIG experience here but Lincoln does send me ineteresting ads every month after I registered my MIG. If you look here, http://www.lincolnelectric.com/produ...on-tig-225.asp, they have a new machine. Or will have as it is hard to find on thier web site. In any event it lists for $2025 so $800 on a used older machine is getting close to to high. This new machine might not be in the same class as the one you are looking at. The idea is though that you should be able to get atleast 20% off list making this a $1600 dollar machine. I'm not sure when you consider a used machine as being to expensive but going past the 50 % mark would have me worried. That is realizing that welders hold value for much longer than some other machine tools.

I don't really know what you need in a machine. To learn on this one certainly would do and going even cheaper wouldn't be a bad idea. In the long run though the welder has to fit the intended applicaiton. If you want to weld thick Aluminum sections even this one is likely to be to small.

Searching on the used market is a pain. I tried finding something locally but had no luck for months then purchased the MIG new. Plenty of used machines then popped up. So best of luck with your used serach.

Thanks
    dave