Craftsman AC 180 Amp Portable Arc welder
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Craftsman AC 180 Amp Portable Arc welder

My younger brother is looking at a Craftsman portable arc welder that a friend is offering to sell for 60 bucks. He isn't really into welding a whole lot, and he is 13 years old, but I figured it could be a good welder for him to learn on, as well as maybe make a few cool projects. I could teach him the basics, and everything else is mainly practice. Does anyone have any experience with these things? I would imagine it uses a 220 cord, even though it is lower power. The smaller size, and portability would be good for my brother, I think.

He says it's 230 volt/ 37 amps/ 60 cycles/ and single phase. I can see on the machine though that is says 180 amps, so I'm not sure what the deal is what that. We are just curious, and are not completely sure about what we want to do here.

He is not sure if he will like welding, so I figure 60 bucks is a nice noncommital price too, so if he decides he doesn't like it, he hasn't lost too much...

Re: Craftsman AC 180 Amp Portable Arc welder

Quote Originally Posted by Lantz View Post
    He says it's 230 volt/ 37 amps/ 60 cycles/ and single phase. I can see on the machine though that is says 180 amps, so I'm not sure what the deal is what that.
    Your first numbers are the input voltage (230), max current (37), cycles/sec (60) and phase (single).
    Your second number (180 amps) should be the maximum output welding current of the welder. Whether that is AC only or an AC/DC machine could be determined from looking at the the front panel or the rest of the electrical specifications printed somewhere on the welder.

In any case, 180 amps even AC only for $60... you can't lose... if the machine welds.
    Rick V

1 Airco Heliwelder 3A/DDR
    3 CTC 70/90 amp Stick/Tig Inverters in Parallel
    1 Lincoln MIG PAK 15
    1 Oxy-Acet

It says its a limited input AC welder.

Anyone got any more info on this thing?

Welders of this type were used on rural power lines,Pole transformers were small so welders were designed that drew a maximum of 37.5 amperes.Many small towns did not have electric service as late as 1945 here.Lincoln Electric developed the 180 amp welder that could be used on a rural line without dimming lights of other customers on the line.Most have power factor capacitors that help small welders put out 180 amps.They were usually wound with copper wire.Sear Roebuck was very active in welding supplies even before 1940.

Coronado. CA across the bay from San Diego, CA

If it welds it is good; had I been offered a deal like that I would have probably purchased it.
    I offer three choices: Good, Fast, & Cheap. You may pick two.

Hobart AC/DC StikMate LX
    Harbor Freight AD Hood
    Harbor Freight Industrial Chop Saw
    DeVilbis 20 Gallon, 5 HP Compressor

This site has a serious problem with spammers...

Coronado. CA across the bay from San Diego, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Lantz View Post
    This site has a serious problem with spammers...
    Agreed; report them and never respond or quote them.
    I offer three choices: Good, Fast, & Cheap. You may pick two.

Hobart AC/DC StikMate LX
    Harbor Freight AD Hood
    Harbor Freight Industrial Chop Saw
    DeVilbis 20 Gallon, 5 HP Compressor

limited input AC welder.