Some everyday railings (and other cool stuff) - Page 17
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Re: Some everyday railings (and other cool stuff)

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan23 View Post
    Here's a handrail I installed a couple weeks ago

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk
    This looks really nice - and looks like something that is harder than it looks to make in one piece.

I'd have to fab onsite - then take it for finish welding and paint. Otherwise I'd never get it to look right...
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan23 View Post
    Starting fabrication on the railing with no bottom rail, it's pretty challenging to figure out all this math, I'm leaving the pickets all the same length for now, so I can tack on a continuous piece that holds them together, then on the job site I'll mark all the pickets and cut them off at the right length, hopefully lining them up in the holes won't be a pain

Something I have learned over the years on similar items: Do not make all the pickets so they all hit home at the same time, if you can avoid it. It is darn near impossible to get 30 pickets all aligned and into their holes in one shot. If you start at one end at length "x" then add a little bit extra (or take away) to the next one (maybe even 1/8-1/4"), and then continue to add a little bit to each one (or take away - but you have to go one way with this), it allows you to slide in one or 2 at a time, as you work your way down the line. If you can have additional clearance below the stairs for this, it will make install far less maddening. Worst case you batch them like 2-4 at a time or something if you don't have enough clearance for the whole run. If you ever do mission/craftsman furniture, you find this out real quick... Hopefully that made sense. Easier to show than describe.
    -Dave
    XMT304, 22A Feeder, HF251D Hi Freq box

Quote Originally Posted by Todd496 View Post
    Hey metal man have you ever put pieces of pipe in between the pickets. I am building a handicap ramp with a plate form and I am using 5/8 solid bar and was trying to think of something to make it look a little nicer without busting the bank. What's your thoughts?
    I'm not sure what you mean? You Mena using pipe as pickets?

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    This looks really nice - and looks like something that is harder than it looks to make in one piece.

I'd have to fab onsite - then take it for finish welding and paint. Otherwise I'd never get it to look right...
    Thanks Dave, I did the last of the fab on-site, I had the lower section, upper section, and the corner piece fabbed up and painted at the shop, then I found the studs, screwed in the brackets, clamped the pieces on, lined them up and welded it all together

Quote Originally Posted by davec View Post
    Something I have learned over the years on similar items: Do not make all the pickets so they all hit home at the same time, if you can avoid it. It is darn near impossible to get 30 pickets all aligned and into their holes in one shot. If you start at one end at length "x" then add a little bit extra (or take away) to the next one (maybe even 1/8-1/4"), and then continue to add a little bit to each one (or take away - but you have to go one way with this), it allows you to slide in one or 2 at a time, as you work your way down the line. If you can have additional clearance below the stairs for this, it will make install far less maddening. Worst case you batch them like 2-4 at a time or something if you don't have enough clearance for the whole run. If you ever do mission/craftsman furniture, you find this out real quick... Hopefully that made sense. Easier to show than describe.
    Yeah that makes sense, I have a plan for that, we'll see how it goes, the first panel goes in on Monday

Ladies and (mostly) gentlemrn, lo and behold, thar she blows, the first panel is installed, and looking quite nice I might add

Better than nice.

Yea Phil that is awesome looking, came out really well ,but is that another flight of stairs under that or am I seeing things.

Quote Originally Posted by Weldordie View Post
    Better than nice.
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by gxbxc View Post
    Yea Phil that is awesome looking, came out really well ,but is that another flight of stairs under that or am I seeing things.
    You are seeing 2 more flights of stairs, I have a lot more work to do

Looks really nice! So what was your plan to get all the pickets in the holes, and how easy did it work (or not...)?
    -Dave
    XMT304, 22A Feeder, HF251D Hi Freq box

Quote Originally Posted by davec View Post
    Looks really nice! So what was your plan to get all the pickets in the holes, and how easy did it work (or not...)?
    Thanks! My plan was quite simple really, I just started at one end of the panel, and started putting in pickets a couple at a time, and it dropped a little bit everytime, I kept hitting the panel lower and lower, until all the pickets were in. It went easier then I thought it would.

Tomorrow I'll see how easy the long straight panels go in.

Nice work!

Here it is, the next installment of railings, looks good, I got the angle wrong on the stairs by a few degrees, but it's not very noticeable

One more flight of stairs to go, almost done!

Looks good and nice look.

The pitch might not be a mismeasuring issue. I did a able rail install last week. 20 hrs and two rail mods to the same rail. I decided to pull some string lines for other issues. The 18 ft stair had 2 distinct pitches that affected the parallel-ness of the wall rail attach to my guard. Amazing what string exposes. Warped wall. Non parallel walls, tapering walls...

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    Looks good and nice look.

The pitch might not be a mismeasuring issue. I did a able rail install last week. 20 hrs and two rail mods to the same rail. I decided to pull some string lines for other issues. The 18 ft stair had 2 distinct pitches that affected the parallel-ness of the wall rail attach to my guard. Amazing what string exposes. Warped wall. Non parallel walls, tapering walls...
    Yes that's a good point, i should've double checked with a string

I'm working on a semi spiral like handrail, here I'm setting up a mock up of the elevation and curve.

A little rolling, a little twisting, a little bending and we're getting pretty close....

I'm getting my channel ready

I installed the handrail the other day the customer was tickled pink

Nice job - cool looking house too. Wondering if you pounded the posts into the ground? Concrete?

Metaldude. Which(if any) roller did you use on the cap ? lat time I did one was a 14" piece of pipe tacked to a table and a heavy dose of Henry McKenna.....cold bent. It was a one off and not ?? "duplicable" due to the Flintstone method I used..... musta been 1979 or so.
    Last edited by Bonzoo; Yesterday at 12:47 PM.

I have something similar to do. Sharp curve and uphill ala spiral stair but I'm going 1" x 2" because I know my roller wont fight me too much. I'd rather go cap but, fortunately, the majority here have no idea what it even is !

Quote Originally Posted by cloudman View Post
    Nice job - cool looking house too. Wondering if you pounded the posts into the ground? Concrete?
    Post hole digger and concrete, this was the easiest dirt I ever dug in, I think I hit one rock, it went really fast, they're about 24-30" into the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    I have something similar to do. Sharp curve and uphill ala spiral stair but I'm going 1" x 2" because I know my roller wont fight me too much. I'd rather go cap but, fortunately, the majority here have no idea what it even is !
    I used the HF roller although this will be the last time using it I think, I'm gonna buy a real one soon.

1x2 seems like it'll be hard to roll.....

Very nice. What type of anchors are you using to secure the rails?

nvm oops.
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    Victor Performer O/A
    Lincoln Viking 4C 3350

MetalMan23, awesome work, am always amazed at the stuff you make. Absolutely top notch.
    Now it seems all I own are ESAB products, a lonely Hypertherm 85 and couple of Miller XMT's.

Quote Originally Posted by dakota6569 View Post
    Very nice. What type of anchors are you using to secure the rails?
    These are concrete into the ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawslandshark View Post
    MetalMan23, awesome work, am always amazed at the stuff you make. Absolutely top notch.
    Thank you! I appreciate the compliment...

Here's a staircase I fabricated early this year (like February) they just removed the old staircase this morning so I installed mine to replace it

I ended up making the treads myself, I'm never doing that again,, better to have them bent by a shop