Some everyday railings (and other cool stuff) - Page 18
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718
Results 426 to 441 of 441
  1. #426
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    3,035

    Re: Some everyday railings (and other cool stuff)

    Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan23 View Post
    Here's a staircase I fabricated early this year (like February) they just removed the old staircase this morning so I installed mine to replace it

    I ended up making the treads myself, I'm never doing that again,, better to have them bent by a shop
    Lol. I have done that and I made bar grate treads once. 80 of the bar grate. Why???.

    Though, I can see some benefit in fabbing diamond treads. Benefits like create unique designs and add strength with less weight. I often fab my spiral treads.

    Nice rails and steps.

  2. #427
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    1,854

    Re: Some everyday railings (and other cool stuff)

    Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    Lol. I have done that and I made bar grate treads once. 80 of the bar grate. Why???.

    Though, I can see some benefit in fabbing diamond treads. Benefits like create unique designs and add strength with less weight. I often fab my spiral treads.

    Nice rails and steps.
    Thanks,

    Yeah to make the treads I made slotted cuts with the plasma and then bent the legs and welded them out, way too much heat, the first one I did warped like crazy, then I did little welds in increments, controlling the heat, but then I had to grind it all down

    Anyway, that went to the lessons learned department,

    The staircase is galvanized and powder coated BTW, they were worried about it rusting out.

  3. #428
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    1,854

    Re: Some everyday railings (and other cool stuff)

    So I'm making a ladder idk what to call it


  4. #429
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    1,854

    Re: Some everyday railings (and other cool stuff)

    Got it painted

  5. #430
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Sutherlin Oregon
    Posts
    230

    Re: Some everyday railings (and other cool stuff)

    Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan23 View Post
    Got it painted
    Hey I'm curious to learn how you got into doing railings and fences?

    Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

  6. #431
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    1,854

    Re: Some everyday railings (and other cool stuff)

    Quote Originally Posted by 5th Street Fab View Post
    Hey I'm curious to learn how you got into doing railings and fences?

    Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    I invested a little money in a website, and the right people happened to come across it and give me a call. It just so happens that they needed railings and fencing mostly, and now it's been 5 years of steady work.

  7. #432
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Fairfield,CT
    Posts
    1,083

    Re: Some everyday railings (and other cool stuff)

    Looks good Phil. I see your HF ring roller dies. I machined a set like that. I took the HF dies and remachined them. I also converted my HF ring roller with a hyd motor. So nice just to contol a lever.
    www.tjsperformance.com
    Dynasty 300 DX
    HTP 240
    Miller Bobcat 225G
    LN-25
    Bpt. Mill/DRO
    4' x 8' CNC Plasma Table
    Instagram: tjsperformance

  8. #433
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    4,784

    Re: Some everyday railings (and other cool stuff)

    So I'm making a ladder idk what to call it
    Looks like an OSHA (spit) approved fixed access ladder with safety cage. They're a pretty common thing in Industrial settings.

    I welded a number of them up at the last structural steel shop I worked at. These had to be 100% welded out because they were going into a corrosive environment (phosphate mill) and they didn't want any crevices left on them for corrosion to start in.

    Looks like you built a pretty nice one.

    Name:  ADF 017.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  83.7 KB

  9. #434
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    1,854

    Re: Some everyday railings (and other cool stuff)

    Quote Originally Posted by TJS View Post
    Looks good Phil. I see your HF ring roller dies. I machined a set like that. I took the HF dies and remachined them. I also converted my HF ring roller with a hyd motor. So nice just to contol a lever.
    Thanks! Yes I have the HF roller, but I'm going to upgrade soon, it has so much slop in it sometimes you end up spiraling your parts instead of rolling them

    Swag off road, where I buy the dies sells a really nice roller I might be getting that one next job I do that requires a lot of rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by HT2-4956 View Post
    Looks like an OSHA (spit) approved fixed access ladder with safety cage. They're a pretty common thing in Industrial settings.

    I welded a number of them up at the last structural steel shop I worked at. These had to be 100% welded out because they were going into a corrosive environment (phosphate mill) and they didn't want any crevices left on them for corrosion to start in.

    Looks like you built a pretty nice one.

    Name:  ADF 017.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  83.7 KB
    That's it, a fixed access ladder with safety cage.

    There's a few spots where I didn't weld all the way around, hopefully it won't be a problem, it's not an overly corrosive environment though.

    I enjoyed making it, I basically had to look at a rough drawing and design it myself.

    Install went OK, drilling through a 22" brick wall wasn't fun though.

    Here's some pics of it installed.


  10. #435
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Sutherlin Oregon
    Posts
    230

    Re: Some everyday railings (and other cool stuff)

    Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan23 View Post
    I invested a little money in a website, and the right people happened to come across it and give me a call. It just so happens that they needed railings and fencing mostly, and now it's been 5 years of steady work.
    Right on dude! I never stumbled across this thread before looks great! Definitely gonna be pouring over it for a while!

    Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

  11. #436
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Bemidji MN
    Posts
    13,323

    Re: Some everyday railings (and other cool stuff)

    Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan23 View Post
    Thanks! Yes I have the HF roller, but I'm going to upgrade soon, it has so much slop in it sometimes you end up spiraling your parts instead of rolling them

    Swag off road, where I buy the dies sells a really nice roller I might be getting that one next job I do that requires a lot of rolling That's it, a fixed access ladder with safety cage.

    There's a few spots where I didn't weld all the way around, hopefully it won't be a problem, it's not an overly corrosive environment though.

    I enjoyed making it, I basically had to look at a rough drawing and design it myself.

    Install went OK, drilling through a 22" brick wall wasn't fun though.

    Here's some pics of it installed.

    Looks excellent
    Drill through 22" brick? How is it anchored?
    I don't really know anything about this kind of install - almost everything here is wood or metal studs. Not a lot of brick.
    Dave J.

    Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

    Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

  12. #437
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    1,854

    Re: Some everyday railings (and other cool stuff)

    Quote Originally Posted by 5th Street Fab View Post
    Right on dude! I never stumbled across this thread before looks great! Definitely gonna be pouring over it for a while!

    Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    Thanks, means a lot coming from you, hope you enjoy the pics, most of its rails and gates.
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    Looks excellent
    Drill through 22" brick? How is it anchored?
    I don't really know anything about this kind of install - almost everything here is wood or metal studs. Not a lot of brick.
    Thanks The brick wall ranged from 14" to 22" thick, and my drill bit was only 18" so I had to drill from both sides and try to meet in the middle.... Easier said than done.... It was an old factory building, circa 1890s to early 1900s I believe.


    The ladder weighs about 180lbs, we almost lost it over the side once

  13. #438
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Sutherlin Oregon
    Posts
    230

    Re: Some everyday railings (and other cool stuff)

    Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan23 View Post
    Thanks, means a lot coming from you, hope you enjoy the pics, most of its rails and gates. Thanks The brick wall ranged from 14" to 22" thick, and my drill bit was only 18" so I had to drill from both sides and try to meet in the middle.... Easier said than done.... It was an old factory building, circa 1890s to early 1900s I believe.


    The ladder weighs about 180lbs, we almost lost it over the side once
    No problem man you've got skills! I like your videos You should make em public on YouTube so everyone can see it

    Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

  14. #439
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Eastern Oregon
    Posts
    259

    Re: Some everyday railings (and other cool stuff)

    Quote Originally Posted by 5th Street Fab View Post
    No problem man you've got skills! I like your videos You should make em public on YouTube so everyone can see it

    Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    Videos?! If there anything like the pictures here, I would love to see them. Metalman23, you do awesome work.

    One question on mounting the ladder, was the brick too soft to just put in anchors? Never mounted anything like that to brick, so just asking.

  15. #440
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    3,257

    Re: Some everyday railings (and other cool stuff)

    Looks awesome as usual. Keep up the good work and share it with us. Sharing is caring.
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    Victor Performer O/A
    Lincoln Viking 4C 3350

  16. #441
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    1,854

    Re: Some everyday railings (and other cool stuff)

    Quote Originally Posted by 5th Street Fab View Post
    No problem man you've got skills! I like your videos You should make em public on YouTube so everyone can see it

    Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    Thanks I didn't think people would find them that interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baloo2327 View Post
    Videos?! If there anything like the pictures here, I would love to see them. Metalman23, you do awesome work.

    One question on mounting the ladder, was the brick too soft to just put in anchors? Never mounted anything like that to brick, so just asking.
    Haha, there's just a few videos of me welding or making scrolls and stuff

    I would've rather used expansion anchors but they wanted it drilled all the way through, so that's what I did.
    Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Looks awesome as usual. Keep up the good work and share it with us. Sharing is caring.
    Thanks!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
RSS | Home | Penton Media | Contact Us | Subscribe | For Advertisers | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement