taking a stick welding cert test tomorrow, 12 gauge galv. steel, 7018..
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

taking a stick welding cert test tomorrow, 12 gauge galv. steel, 7018..

I am a newly employed welder for a construction company, d1.1 certified 4g . They want to certify me in d1.3 also so I can weld 12 gauge galvanized steel studs and thinner stuff also (7018 , DC stick)

I have 0 experience with this. My boss hasnt really informed me on what process to use, what i will be tested on , or anything. I had a very very short time to orient myself with the machine (miller bobcat) , also I am not used to welding on a genset machine at all, I have only a few hours in my life using them.

Tomorrow at 8am I take my certification test. lol.

any tips? I think I should be using DCEN since this is thinner stuff, 3/32'nds rod by the way. I have the 'course' amperage set to low , 40-100 amps, and the 'fine' setting set about 7 .. so Im guessing im around 70 amps. I really have no idea what the test is going to be, if its going to be 1F or 6G , or anywhere in between I have gotten 0 info on this. My boss is not a welder and knows really nothing about the test.

sorry long post, cliffnotes:

should i be using DCEN or DCEP on 12 gauge (some of it is doubled up , so , 2 layers of 12 gauge)

when doing verticle, should i be going downhill or up ... im so used to doing 6010 DCEP always up up up, never down.. im not sure what is correct here.

also i dont know why the F we arent using MIG for this application. makes no sense to me.
    Last edited by AJM; 07-07-2011 at 05:54 PM.

Re: taking a stick welding cert test tomorrow, 12 gauge galv. steel, 7018..

Calm DOWN !

Use the same procedure type as you used on the D1.1 test changing the amps and electrode size.

3/32 7018 at 60-90 amps just enough amps to keep the stick burning. If you can get thinner electrodes great just do the same lower amps just enough to keep it going.

DCEP

6010 works great down up sideways all-ways 7018 down not so much.

channces are good they will walk you though it all they should hand you the Welding Procedure Specification read it take your time set the machine us as listed in the WPS and weld.

After re-reading your post I think they are having you do a deck weld procedure (ARC SPOT) puddle weld using 6022 (deck rod) THick steel with sheet steel on top burn through the thin burn into the thick creating the puddle on the thick then enlarging it to fuse the edges of the thin into the puddle. YOU WANT 1/8" ROD for this.
    Last edited by Fat Bastard; 07-07-2011 at 06:56 PM.

nah we are not doing deck spot welding that stuff is done, this is a metal framing company ,

the verticle studs here are 12 gauge beams ("c" beams?), back to back, screwed together, to form sort of "I" beams. I will be welding the tops where the beam is screwed to the 'clips' .. short welds only 1.5 inches. Stick welding using 7018 . I dont make the plans i just follow em, some engineer thought this was best I guess.

also thats a red tailed eagle : )

i think DCEP is best for .25" and above. Below that you use DCEN, am i right? Looking in my hobart stick welding manual, any exercise where they are running stringers on thinner material, they specify using DCEN. I was taught to always use DCEP but tahts b/c i was taught to weld on thick steel. I think DCEN is good for this thin stuff. I know this is a pretty rare weldnig procedure.. but hopefully an old timer will chime in here
    Last edited by AJM; 07-07-2011 at 07:17 PM.

Thickness of the material has no affect on how the electrode was designed. The electrode drives the polarity, not the material.

As previously stated the procedure will give you all the information you need and any information you get here about that specific procedure is meaningless.

Good Luck

ok thanks fat bastard

When I used to build joists for the dock company we used thin galvinized steel studs and i would weld 1/4" tabs along them every 2 feet, and tabs on the ends, then weld them down to the pontoons all lined up by a string line. All welded with a wire from lincoln, .045 T-14 self sheilded, it is designed for welding galvinized. And it worked well. From time to time I would miss a weld and have to go back and sticker down with 1/8th 7018, rarely had 3/32 on hand at that place. Keep the heat on the thick and wash the puddle onto the thin. It can be done just keep on trying and dont expect to get it your first shot. Find something that works and do it a couple more times before you test.
    Nothing Ever Got Done By Quitting, Never Give Up.

I've been welding that stuff since the mid 80's and am very surprised they would have you using 7018's at all. 6010 or 6011 is all I have ever been required to use. That is what the manufacturers spec as well.
    QamuIs Heg qaq law' lorvIs yInqaq puS

i took the tests today.. the inspector was really laid back. He let me try as many times as I wanted. got 2 hours of practice in before my tests, and then did my test pieces.. i did pretty good welds , not beautiful but, they'll pass the bend tests. I only needed one 'do over' out of 6 test pieces , i blew a hole through the material doing a verticle fillet weld when i went too slow .. oops. So i expect to be d1.3 certified now , which is pretty ridiculous , IMO. I went to school for a year and practiced for hundreds of hours of 6010/7018 on .25" - 1" , to get my D1.1 .. and they are just giving out cert's in the field to anybody that can hold a stinger. Ive done seriously about 6 hours of welding 3/32nd on 12 gauge w 7018 and now ive got my certification for d1.3.. lol. Oh well , its not my building getting built, and its experience under my belt. And I will constantly look to improve my trade and study welding ...
    Last edited by AJM; 07-08-2011 at 07:10 PM.

You took hundreds of hours to learn what a weld is and what a weld looks like. Now that you have the basics why do you think you should need another hundred hours to apply this knowledge to this new material?

You don't make a lot of sense.