Powermax 45 vs Cutmaster 52
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Powermax 45 vs Cutmaster 52

I am on the fence between these two models. I see very good things written about both and few negative comments about either. I lean towards the Powermax at this time but I need some more convincing. I will be using the cutter in a farm / ranch operation (rusty metal). I realize that a clean ground location is a MUST for cutting rusty metal. Mainly 1/2" or less thickness but there may be times I need to sever 1" or greater. I want a unit that can possibly see future use on a CNC machine (1/2" cuts or less, possibly heavy use). I also want long consumable life.

Thurmond
    Miller Bobcat 3 Phase,
    26 series gas cooled TIG torch
    Miller Suitcase X-Treme 12VS
    17 Series Tig Torch for Solar Panel Powered Welding
    Oxy/Acetylene Torch rig
    EVERLAST PowerUltra 205P

Re: Powermax 45 vs Cutmaster 52

Here is the comparison from T-D's spec sheet to Hypertherms:

Cutmaster 52 Output amps: 60 @40% duty cycle, 6.2 kWatts (103 arc volts)

Powermax45 Output Amps 45 @ 60% duty cycle 5.9 kWatts (132 arc volts)

CM52 pierce capacity 1/2", cut speed on 1/2" = 28 ipm

PMX45 pierce capacity 1/2" cut speed on 1/2" = 25 ipm

CM52 weight : 43 lbs

PMX45 weight: 37 lbs

A few other tidbits:

The CM52 power supply is currently produced in W. Lebanon NH.....a recent press release from T-D states that this equipment will soon be manufactured in Mexico,,,,and up to 100 jobs in W. Lebanon will be liminated. The torch is already produced in Mexico.

The PMX45 is produced in Hypertherm's facilities in Hanover and Lebanon NH by employee owners.

Cutting power in terms of speed and thickness is not determined by Amperage of the plasma system, rather, it is determined by the killowatts that the power supply can produce. These two systems are pretty close in output power.

The T-D torch allows drag cutting at 60 amps on materials to 1/4". The Hypertherm, with its shielded torch technology can be used for drag cutting to its maximum rated severance thickness of 1"

The PMX45 has an included receptacle on the rear panel with a cnc interface for use with the machine torch. Extra with the CM52.

They are both pretty good systems. I have had the opportunity to cut with them side by side....the 45 torch feels a little more powerful to me, especially on thicker materials.

Consumable life testing between the two indicates considerably longer consumable life with the 45...primarily due to the shielded consumables....which eliminates double arcing from piercing and drag cutting.

Best bet...try them both out.....poll the users of each on this and other sites. I have a strong feeling you will like the 45 better!

Rusty metal can be easily cut with either unit....however the shielded torch on the Hypertherm will make the job easier without a doubt.

Attached are some pics of cutting with my Powermax45 in my home shop.

Jim Colt

1st pic is of a severance cut on 1-1/4"...not bad for a machine with a factory severance rating of 1"...this is what higher arc voltage capability buys for you.

2nd pic is a piece of 1/4" steel as cut with hole diameters from 3/16" to 3/4". Little taper....but you can drop a bolt through these holes.

3rd is a piece of 3/8" with holes.

4th is 1/2" as cut.....with 1/2" diameter holes.

5th is a 1/4" bracket...all holes cut with the 45...the smallest were cut to .188"...then drilled with a .201 cobalt drill (to remove hardened layer) then tapped to 1/4"-20.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by jimcolt; 07-15-2011 at 08:31 PM.

I have used a cutmaster and a powermax and both were find units. They had taken a beating having lived much of their life being used in the field and being carried in a work truck. They both can tak the abuse of everyday use and being transported. If I were to buy one I would tend to lean towards the powermax. TD is a great unit, but I am finding consumables easier to find with hyperthem. They can order any of them, but they tend to have on hand the powermax brand.

I can't speak to consumable life as they are used by a variety of hands and used in some less than ideal places where torch work make it more difficult or not a viable option.

Jim

You have convinced me, well you and other post I have been reading in addition to your site information.

From what I have been reading, I like the way your company is structured and does business.

Is the Part # of the PMX45 I want (240vac) with a 50' standard torch 088017 ? I will also need a consumable kit and a circle cutter kit if you can give me the part numbers for those as well.

Once I have the Part #'s i'll just have to find the best price and round up the cash.

Thurmond
    Miller Bobcat 3 Phase,
    Oxy/Acetylene Torch rig
    EVERLAST PowerUltra 205P

The system number for a 240 volt Powermax45 with a 50' hand torch is 088017. Make sure you really need the 50' lead....the power supply is so portable (a little bigger than a 2 slice toaster)....it is easy to bring close to your work....and the 25' lea is easier to coil up when you are done!

The circle cutter basic kit is 127102.

The spare parts kit is 850490. The 45 comes with a couple of sets of consumables....I'd suggest you wait on the spare parts kit as it may have parts you will never use! Just find your local Hypertherm distributor...he likely will stock all the parts you will need. Also...search around for pricing...often, if you ask...your local distributor will come close to matching the online prices. I like to buy local even if it is a bit higher...the support and service will be better...and often they will throw a set of gloves or glasses in with the deal.

To find a distributor: www.hypertherm.com click on "where to buy" .

Let me know how it works out....you won't regret buying the 45...it is a kick *** plasma.

Best regards, Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by Tritium View Post
    Jim

You have convinced me, well you and other post I have been reading in addition to your site information.

From what I have been reading, I like the way your company is structured and does business.

Is the Part # of the PMX45 I want (240vac) with a 50' standard torch 088017 ? I will also need a consumable kit and a circle cutter kit if you can give me the part numbers for those as well.

Once I have the Part #'s i'll just have to find the best price and round up the cash.

Thurmond
    Last edited by jimcolt; 07-16-2011 at 11:08 AM.

Jim you are absolutely right about lead. I don't like having the 25 foot. a 15 foot would suffice. My wire feeder only has a 15 foot whip.

Jim, I live in VERY rural America. A portion of Texas that is fairly far removed from any Local Dealers of ANY kinds of goods. It takes $50 of gasoline and nearly a day of time (round trip) to get to one of your distributors (Lubbock, TX) that is "Local" to me. That being the case, ordering online is usually the lowest cost and time spent option for me.

A tiny bit of confusion. Your site list 2 torch lengths for the PMX45. The part# we have already discussed with a 50' torch and # 088016 which your site states as 20'. Is it actually 25'? If not what is the # of the 25' model.

My reasoning on the 50' torch, was for possible CNC table use in the future but it might be better to buy a machine torch for that purpose when the time comes.

Thanks
    Thurmond
    Last edited by Tritium; 07-16-2011 at 03:04 PM.
    Miller Bobcat 3 Phase,
    Oxy/Acetylene Torch rig
    EVERLAST PowerUltra 205P

Thurmond.....the part number that I provided in the previous email (088017) is for the Powermax45, 240 volt with a 50' hand torch. Part number 088016 is for the same unit with a 20' hand torch....my mind was on the machine torches which come in a 25' length.

The info on the web site is correct.

Jim

Thanks Jim.

Thurmond
    Miller Bobcat 3 Phase,
    Oxy/Acetylene Torch rig
    EVERLAST PowerUltra 205P

Jim - what is the difference between a CNC machine torch and a handheld torch? Is it just the handle or is there more to it? Also, can a handheld torch be used in a CNC machine?

Speaking for the Hypertherm Powermax torches...there is no difference internally...the hand torches and the machine torches have the same power, duty cycle and cut quality.

From an electrical interface....a Powermax with a machine torch can be electrically interfaced much easier and safer as it allows use of the rear panel CPC connections on the power supply. To electrically interface the hand torch you must bypass the torch safety trigger circuit...this is done by cutting and splicing wires inside the torch handle or inside the power supply.

The machine torch is much easier to mount on a machine as well....it is easy to square to the plate....and easier to remove for service, and usually works better for cable management (routing of the torch lead).

Here is a picture of each of my home shop machines with machine torches....1 is a PlasmaCam machine with a Powermax85, the other a Torchmate with a Powermax45.

The Powermax45, 65 and 85 have a very nice quick disconnect torch assembly....in seconds you can disconnect the machine torch (leave it mounted on the cnc machine) and plug in the hand torch for portable use.

Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by countrylife View Post
    Jim - what is the difference between a CNC machine torch and a handheld torch? Is it just the handle or is there more to it? Also, can a handheld torch be used in a CNC machine?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by jimcolt; 07-24-2011 at 08:28 AM.