My homemade portable welder
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Saskatchewan, Canada, (right above North Dakota and Montana)

My homemade portable welder

Engine is a 1971 Datsun 74 cubic inch 70hp. Generator is WW2 AIRPLANE Westinghouse 24volt 200 amp, my cousin used to weld with it back in the day, had it hooked up to a 25hp Wisconsin v4. Main frame is 2x1 channel. Got the engine mounts and generator mounts done today and started on the hoop frame to cover it all up. I have a rheostat but will need to make an arc stabilizer for it. Plan on also running an AC generator off the front and an air compressor, thus the mile of room up front of the engine, may shorten the skid a little, will see soon. Here are some crappy pics I took with my cell phone.

Last edited by MilitiaMetals; 07-15-2011 at 09:11 PM.

Re: My homemade portable welder

How well did the 25hp motor work? that generator should only draw like what, 8hp or so? How do you limit current? Got any details on the arc stabilizer you're going to build?
    Welding/Fab Pics: www.UtahWeld.com

Nice!

That was my favorite little quasi-industrial engine back in their day.
    Man were they tough.

Thanks for posting your project.

Carry on!

The generator supposedly needs 15 or so Hp. I chose my Datsun engine because it was rebuilt before I go it and is makes 70HP at 6000RPM and I only want to run it around 2500 to 3000(max) Plus will also be driving a air compressor and AC generator, its for my service truck I use when I am custom Farming

I will have a rheostat to limit the current like other newer welders, just like an oven dial. For the arc stabilizer I am going to use a 10 inch piece of round stock then wrap it with cloth tape(few layers) then wind 4ga enamel coated wire around it, doing 5 layers all insulated between each other. The rod will be tapped at each end and mounted, thus grounded. And then the arc stabilizer will be wired inline after my rheostat with a plug socket on the end to hook my stinger up.

Here is a head ache rack I made for my work truck.

Will paint it after I make bottle mounts for my cutting torch assembly

Pretty cool.

That is way cool!

Thanks! The best part is I got the generator for free from my cousin!! He said take it, because the Wisconsin v4 was worn out and it had seized from sitting inside his shop. I later found another generator the exact same!!! Was my neighbor down the road from our farm, he bought it 20 years ago from an auction, they had been using it to run drills and other brush type appliances, so it was never set up for welding but its like new! Paid $25 for it!

ok, nice...i must admit...it passed my standard...good job!

lol what exactly are your standards? were you expecting less lol?

I will bend another hoop for the front and cover it all with 18ga sheetmetal. Will have to hooks on top to lift it into my truck with a tractor, this puppy is pretty heavy lol. Have to pick up a rad for it tomorrow, going to use a military surplus gas can for a fuel tank. Have not decided whether or not to run an electric fan or the manual one. Any input on that?

Have to order a drive pulley too, and then weld a shaft to the flywheel, should be fun, It's going to involve some lathe work, good thing I have a machinist for a cousin!

repeat woops

I learned to weld with one of those that my dad built right after he got out of the army. World war two. The one he had, had two large posts and two small posts for electrical hook up.. the large posts were hooked up to the ground and the electrode. the two small posts were hooked up in series with a potentiometer. that fed 12 volt to the field windings. When you fed the field more power your arc got stronger. He also had some kind of large cast iron resistor that got quite hot. Mac

Neat! I have been told by other welders and have learned myself, nothing welds better than dc, I think I am going to love this thing!

Have the catalog from Master Mechanic in 1950's that sold the surplus stuff to build them . The yellow transformer welder I have the catalog for that too , built in Canada !!! John

Quote Originally Posted by MilitiaMetals View Post
    I will have a rheostat to limit the current like other newer welders, just like an oven dial. For the arc stabilizer I am going to use a 10 inch piece of round stock then wrap it with cloth tape(few layers) then wind 4ga enamel coated wire around it, doing 5 layers all insulated between each other. The rod will be tapped at each end and mounted, thus grounded. And then the arc stabilizer will be wired inline after my rheostat with a plug socket on the end to hook my stinger up.
    I see so a big inductor, try to find some transformer iron to use a core instead of steel. It has a much higher permeability and will achieve the same inductance with fewer windings (or a greater inductance with the same windings).

Do you have a link or more specs ont he rheostat you're going to use? it must be pretty damn big lol

Its the origional rheostat that came with the generator, and yes it is big lol. Is there something I can use instead of my homemade arc stabilizer? I am going to a local landfill to pick up scrap metal tomorrow. Maybe there is something I should look for? Thanks for the compliments and tips everyone!

Here you go MM... The original plans for building that 200A welder using that airplane generator from the 1940's.... Nothings changed since then except you're using a stationary engine instead of putting it under the hood of your truck.

http://www.vintageprojects.com/metal...oArcWelder.pdf

This gives the plans for the arc stabilizer as well as photos of the one they made... Good Luck BTW.... Those generators were state of the art back then and should function just fine now too.

If I had one I'd build one too.

That's strange that they tie the inductor core into a frame that loops back around to the other end of the core. This turns it into a transformer (without a secondary) instead of an inductor. Inductors store energy in a magnetic field in the airgap from one end of the core to the other, transformers ideally store no energy but rather transfer it as efficiently as possible between coupled windings. Seems like it defeats the purpose, it should perform better not being tied together... something to consider in your experimentation anyway.
    Last edited by MikeGyver; 07-16-2011 at 05:35 AM.

Here are some mock up photos, will not be working on it until August 1st, goin on holidays!

I am going to run flange bearing on the tranny input shaft to keep it dead center and take away the sideplay. Will have to get it machined and a sleeve put on the shaft to make it longer.

I put air shocks on my old chevy today, so she can handle the extra weight of the welder, what a difference in height!

Cant wait to see this finished . Are u gonna put a sheet metal cover around it all ?
    >Innovations are what i leave behind for History<

Definitely! She will be covered up and painted! Pardon my crappy microsoft paint skills

Coronado. CA across the bay from San Diego, CA

Congradulations on your welder design and build. The aircraft generator may be considered to be stone age technology, but then again; diamonds are stones.
    I offer three choices: Good, Fast, & Cheap. You may pick two.

Hobart AC/DC StikMate LX
    Harbor Freight AD Hood
    Harbor Freight Industrial Chop Saw
    DeVilbis 20 Gallon, 5 HP Compressor