Thermal Arc MST400 Mig/Stick/TIG welder
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thermal Arc MST400 Mig/Stick/TIG welder

I know TA isn't one of the "big 2" but the product still works great. I am selling because I upgraded to a more complete Miller system with a wire feeder and other goodies. I don't need 2 welders of the same basic type...

Thermal Arc 400MST ProPlus Inverter Welder. Both CC /CV. 400A

Multiprocess welder capable of Stick, MIG, or Lift-Arc TIG welding. DC only. (No Hi Freq on TIG, Lift Arc only - beats scratch start)

Fully compatible with Miller-compatible 14-pin accessories such as foot pedals, Hi freq units, remotes and wire feeders - no modifications needed as pinouts are the same - plug and go. Also compatible with Thermal Arc or other 19-pin connector accessories.

Works on either 1 Phase or 3 Phase, 208-230V or 460V. Auto-detects phase, switch on back for Voltage range - no jumpers or rewiring needed. I had it set up on a 50A/220V 1-phase plug in my home shop.

Very good condition, full working order. Can show under power/test weld if desired. Selling because I upgraded.

Does not include welding cables or plug (includes power cord, but everyone seems to use a different plug setup anyway).

$1200 plus shipping (no shipping if local). I'm willing to deliver (within reason) too. [I know the welder is really worth a lot more than this based on it's capabilities, as it is a full industrial welder, but I realize that unless it says Miller or Lincoln on it, the resale is a lot less.] I can send better pics via email, if you want.

Attached Images Attached Images   
    -Dave
    XMT304, 22A Feeder

Re: Thermal Arc MST400 Mig/Stick/TIG welder

Bump. While I'm not desperate to sell it, I will listen to any offers...
    -Dave
    XMT304, 22A Feeder

Quote Originally Posted by davec View Post
    Bump. While I'm not desperate to sell it, I will listen to any offers...
    I think I would stand firm on the price. Although not the latest version of that machine. Probably welds exactly the same as the lastest ones? They are all Sanrex, and that is top quality!!

Some Lincoln feeders work too. Like a LF-72/74 with the optional Miller conversion cable. $91.00 option

http://www.scottgrossstore.com/servl...-Welder/Detail
    Last edited by Brand X; 07-22-2011 at 02:06 AM.
    Esab 2200i-TA34
    Esab 160i caddymig
    Hypertherm 45XP
    Thermal Arc LM-200 Lincoln feeders
    Thermal Arc Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal Dynamics 38XL-SL-40

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong!

I should also mention that it has the built-in "Voltage Reduction Device" or Low OCV feature, for those who require that for their job sites.

BrandX - yes it is a great working welder. I was using it for stick up until I just got a great deal on an upgrade and have no need for more than one main welder (plus I need the space). I was going to add a wire feeder and TIG torch to it until the new deal came along.
    -Dave
    XMT304, 22A Feeder

I should also mention that it has the built-in "Voltage Reduction Device" or Low OCV feature, for those who require that for their job sites.

BrandX - yes it is a great working welder. I was using it for stick up until I just got a great deal on an upgrade and have no need for more than one main welder (plus I need the space). I was going to add a wire feeder and TIG torch to it until the new deal came along.
    I think you will find the Mig arc as good as anything from Miller or Lincoln. I had a prolite 300 with two feeders ran of it. On single phase the specs are the same as your welder. 300 amps-25% duty-cycle. Not too bad for 55lbs. The arc is very crisp, and probably very similar to a Miller inverter, like a 350p.

I have one coming from E-bay, and I am going to use it with my Lincoln 72 feeder or Lincoln LN- 25 pro. I have some of the best welding Lincoln, and Esab machines made, and I just bet the Thermal is more then a match. I did not need another machine either, but at the price,(around yours) it was too good a deal to turn down.

Good luck, and I think somebody is gong to be real happy with your deal.
    Esab 2200i-TA34
    Esab 160i caddymig
    Hypertherm 45XP
    Thermal Arc Pee-Wee 85s

BrandX - you sound like a guy who needs another welder! Have I got a deal for you!
    -Dave
    XMT304, 22A Feeder

BrandX - you sound like a guy who needs another welder! Have I got a deal for you!
    I probably need to stay away from this place.

Really, if somebody has a Miller 22 or better feeder, and bought your machine, they would have a kick *** unit. All for less money then a 250 amp mig. There is no doubt in my mind, it would be a superior mig to anything Miller/Lincoln/ Lincoln/Thermal arc.(it's price range) The inductance control would make it so.
    Last edited by Brand X; 07-22-2011 at 09:46 PM.
    Esab 2200i-TA34
    Esab 160i caddymig
    Hypertherm 45XP
    Thermal Arc Pee-Wee 85s

Man, if you were closer...

Thermal Arc is going to be a much bigger player in years to come. Stick with the price, an MST 400 can still be bought new for no lower than for $3600.00.
    They know inverters just as well as Miller and Lincoln- if not better. They are just a much smaller company than Lincoln or Miller. I like them as a distributor because they are small enough to care about me as their customer. I think that one even has a 5 year warranty on it. Is that machine essentially new?

Morgaj1 - It only weighs like 50-60 lbs. Shipping would be like $50 or so from Wisc to Alabama. I can guarantee you that it works, and you can be assured that it will perform like the industrial welder that it is. Works perfectly fine on 1 phase or 3.
    Last edited by davec; 07-22-2011 at 10:13 PM.
    -Dave
    XMT304, 22A Feeder

Bronco - it is not new, it is several years old, but working perfectly fine. I have had a few questions about the operation of it, and called TA's 800 number from the website. I got a quick answer from a live person in all those cases. They were very helpful and didn't care that I was one yokel asking questions and not an industrial welding operation. The people that answered the phone were very knowledgeable and knew exactly the unit I had and the quirks with their unusually non-descriptive graphics on the controls, even though it was not current production. They explained what the graphics meant so I was able to figure it out immediately. Excellent support. I was very pleased with that. Manuals easily available online, and all that too.
    -Dave
    XMT304, 22A Feeder

I may have to forgo the TA 160 with a speedglass for this but I won't know if I can swing it for another week or so until my car is fixed.
    Welding Supervisor Department of Corrections.

If it isn't sold by then, just post here or PM. I'll make note in the thread when it is sold.
    -Dave
    XMT304, 22A Feeder

Bump...
    -Dave
    XMT304, 22A Feeder

Bump...
    Mine came in from the e-bay deal. It's a great mig unit. Still waiting on my control cable to my LF-72 feeder, but I ran it on my LN-25 pro feeder. Arc is very crisp, but wets still wets out good. (Just 20 on the inductance setting. If people like the arc of a Miller XMT-350, they will love the Thermal one.
    Esab 2200i-TA34
    Esab 160i caddymig
    Hypertherm 45XP
    Thermal Arc Pee-Wee 85s

Bumpity bump
    -Dave
    XMT304, 22A Feeder

Bumpity bump

I added a e-bay (new) Portafeed 17a for $350 to mine, and it's awesome mig machine. I am running two feeders because of the design of the Thermal's 14 pin,and 19 pin plugs. I hate to say it, but I don't think you could find a red or a blue machine that welds as nice. (short-arc)

Hows that for a bump?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Esab 2200i-TA34
    Esab 160i caddymig
    Hypertherm 45XP
    Thermal Arc Pee-Wee 85s

Time for another bump. If it goes yet another month I may take drastic (Fleabay) action..
    -Dave
    XMT304, 22A Feeder

Nice price on the Portafeed. That and it's Hobart predecessors are solid feeders.

SOLD! Thanks!
    -Dave
    XMT304, 22A Feeder

Hi this is a long shot because your post is so old but do you still have the 400mst proplus? I live in Bristol WI. and need one for part or that works. If you do not mind either way can you let me know if you still have it? Thanks John C.

I know TA isn't one of the "big 2" but the product still works great. I am selling because I upgraded to a more complete Miller system with a wire feeder and other goodies. I don't need 2 welders of the same basic type...

Thermal Arc 400MST ProPlus Inverter Welder. Both CC /CV. 400A

Multiprocess welder capable of Stick, MIG, or Lift-Arc TIG welding. DC only. (No Hi Freq on TIG, Lift Arc only - beats scratch start)

Fully compatible with Miller-compatible 14-pin accessories such as foot pedals, Hi freq units, remotes and wire feeders - no modifications needed as pinouts are the same - plug and go. Also compatible with Thermal Arc or other 19-pin connector accessories.

Works on either 1 Phase or 3 Phase, 208-230V or 460V. Auto-detects phase, switch on back for Voltage range - no jumpers or rewiring needed. I had it set up on a 50A/220V 1-phase plug in my home shop.

Very good condition, full working order. Can show under power/test weld if desired. Selling because I upgraded.

Does not include welding cables or plug (includes power cord, but everyone seems to use a different plug setup anyway).

$1200 plus shipping (no shipping if local). I'm willing to deliver (within reason) too. [I know the welder is really worth a lot more than this based on it's capabilities, as it is a full industrial welder, but I realize that unless it says Miller or Lincoln on it, the resale is a lot less.] I can send better pics via email, if you want.

Ummm...7 yrs ago the post above yours says "SOLD"
    -Dave
    XMT304, 22A Feeder

Ummm...7 yrs ago the post above yours says "SOLD"
    I may have one for sale if the price is right.

I may have one for sale if the price is right.

Site rules require listing a price on items for sale.
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; ESAB 875 plasma;Evo 355. OA