Proper Way To Weld A Truck Frame???
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Proper Way To Weld A Truck Frame???

Hi, I Have 1985 Toyota Pickup truck and am planning on Cutting out the bad rusted rotten parts of my frame and welding in new pieces of steel. I am just wondering as to what you guys think is the best way to go about this?... Is it best to stitch weld the pieces of plate in or weld one long bead in?, The worst size patch i'm looking at welding in is probably about 4X8 inches, the rest of the frame is in rather good condition except for that large effected area. I have posted two pictures of the two parts of the frame that need repair.
    Any help is very very much appreciated as far as the best (strongest) way to weld these patches in. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Re: Proper Way To Weld A Truck Frame???

1-You need to show pics of all the damage, the locations on the frame

2-Frame repair starts by analyzing the above--it's not slapping in a few patches.

3-By the looks of just what you've posted--that frame is toast.
    Blackbird

Fat Bastard for President-2016

I'd be hunting another Yota to play "make one out of two" and scrap that frame.

Hey thanks for the quick reply, These old trucks are hard to find in my area, Especially in good shape, which is why i would really like to fix this frame up as everything else is in good shape other then those two spots on the frame and if you guys thought it was plausible I would change out the cross member at the back for one i would make. Here are some more pictures of the frame, I would really really like to some how fix this frame properly. Thanks.

First you need to be a WELDER

And the first thing i will tell as a Welder is

YOU CANNOT WELD RUST

Square one
    Backed my CATMA over your CARMA oops clusmy me

What would SATAN do ??

Miller Digital Elite
    Miller Trail Blazer 302 Air Pak
    Suitecase 12RC
    Hypertherm PM 45
    Victor O/A
    Evolution Rage 3 saw
    Rusty old Truck

It looks like junk to me.

If you are dead set on fixing this, first thing you need to do is strip it completely. Second, plant a money tree. Third, take it to somebody for media blasting. You can't fix what you can't see. Fourth, look over the newly cleaned frame and think real hard about whether or not it's worth saving. Nearly anything can be saved with unlimited time and money.
    My name's not Jim....

Syncrowave 200
    Millermatic 251 w/bottle mod
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Cutmaster 81
    Jet JTM-1 mill
    Jet GH-1340-W3 lathe
    Ellis 1600

I agree, it looks like junk.
    Leo

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    He's right

I don't see sinking the amount of money were talking about here into an 85 toyota

if your going to do a frame up restore at least do it to something worthwhile

That frame is junk and rusted through junk at that
    Backed my CATMA over your CARMA oops clusmy me

What would SATAN do ??

Miller Digital Elite
    Miller Trail Blazer 302 Air Pak
    Suitecase 12RC
    Hypertherm PM 45
    Victor O/A
    Evolution Rage 3 saw
    Rusty old Truck

Quote Originally Posted by Boostinjdm View Post
    It looks like junk to me.

If you are dead set on fixing this, first thing you need to do is strip it completely. Second, plant a money tree. Third, take it to somebody for media blasting. You can't fix what you can't see. Fourth, look over the newly cleaned frame and think real hard about whether or not it's worth saving. Nearly anything can be saved with unlimited time and money.
    x2.. definitely sand blast the heck out of that frame with a vengeance.(white metal blast) i have blasted a lot of frames for restore and from the looks of yours if you put the sand to it hard more damage then you can imagine will show up. but that's what you want when you blast it. if all you do is a surface blast you will be disappointed to find that after all your repair work more holes will start showing up. a simple test you can do to save money if short on cash, is to take your slag pick and start pecking the heck out of the frame to see how many other parts are rusted through. then as already said sit down and figure out if the time and money is worth it. if time and money are plenty it will be an interesting project to learn from. best of luck....jim
    p,s. to answer your question of best way to weld these patches in. for a restore try to match back what you cut out. it's you challenge, use what you have to weld it. i have used stick, mig and even o/a.
    Last edited by jbmprods; 07-19-2011 at 03:27 AM. Reason: more info
    225NT bobcat
    AEAD200LE
    Scott 125
    mm175, mm252 w 30A, PT225
    mm211, TA 181i
    Hyper Therm 380, cut master 52
    9100X & XX, Digital Elite
    6 Victor sets
    smith little torch, meco midget
    kalamazoo band saw
    steel max saw
    evoulution circular saw

I did a 84 Toy snow plow truck with my son years ago (mostly me for the wrenching, but he did a crap ton of welding with me). It started with the 22R re-man + Bison gears front & back. It ended up much larger... Here is the scoop...

(1) The frame will be gone from half way down from the torque tube near the front of the back tire to the middle of the passenger area, BOTH SIDES. It will look 1/2" thick but there is really no iron left, just rust & dirt. I'm suprised the spring mounts haven't caved into the frame yet.

(2) the cab mounts are also prolly toast and will have to be re-built by hand, much of the floor will be gone also...

(3) the fuel tank catches dirt & stays wet around the front where the inlet-return flange is and may be rusted through but the dirt is keeping it sealed for now... maybe.

(4) the brake lines to the rear are just waiting to fail...

As for the frame we needle scaled the outside after lifting the cab and removing the fuel tank and all fuel & brake lines. We boxed the frame, about 3-4 feet both sides which required 3 seperate side plates each side of both frame rails & 1 piece top & bottom. We used 7 ga & had to grind into what was left of the frame until we could get the filler to bite into what little iron was left, maybe grinding 1/8-3/16" in on the sides. After welding the side pieces to the frame and together the top and bottom pieces were shaped and welded to the sides.

After that all the bed mounts were fixed by plating the inside and a flatbed flopped on the top.

All the frame & cab work took hundreds of hours & the gas tank got cleaned & welded also, this is not a weekend job.

This was mostly a project for learning for Dusty but he used the truck for some 3-4 years to plow a large estate he was caretaking and the lot for my shop. It now sits behind my shop with a very strong 22R in it with maybe 500 hrs on it. I got tired of starting it every month and fogged the motor for storage a few years ago. I'm sure the brakes are toast by now... Maybe I should part it out... It DOES have the solid front Dana axle.

I was always amazed at how well that little truck pushed a plow though, in tight spots you could let the clutch out and putt-putt away, stacking over hood high at a walking pace was pretty easy, it just bit the ground hard.

Live & learn, I was younger then.

Matt

Have to agree with the prognosis looks like you need a donor . Frame needs to be cleaned to be able to assess the damage . You could blast or try a needle scaler to remove the flaky material . It will also quickly show how much rot there is . Repaired a Mazda pickup my buddy son purchased , it was a money pit . I set things up he cleaned. I had 14 hours of set up / cutting and fitting . It would have been faster and cheaper to find a new frame. Or build one

PS would i take on another similar project again ??? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you very much for all your honest opinions, I was very dissapointed to find there to be two very big holes I'n my frame, I do still however plan on going ahead with this one way or another, now would it be better to stitch weld pieces to the frame or weld one long continuous bead? .. I plan on using a torch and brazing the pieces of metal on to all the rust. .. Lol just kidding I'll be cleaning up the rust and using a Lincoln 180 mig. Thanks for the input and help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff25 View Post
    Thank you very much for all your honest opinions, I was very dissapointed to find there to be two very big holes I'n my frame, I do still however plan on going ahead with this one way or another, now would it be better to stitch weld pieces to the frame or weld one long continuous bead? .. I plan on using a torch and brazing the pieces of metal on to all the rust. .. Lol just kidding I'll be cleaning up the rust and using a Lincoln 180 mig. Thanks for the input and help.
    Fully welded.....but it can't be a piece here and there.....as in a quick patch job.
    If you do that-then the frame will break apart at those connections.
    Frames are moving, twisting, torquing, bending, flexing--
    very dynamic structures--which requires a repair plan that takes this into account.

Matt gives a pretty good description of what's required to restore structural & fatigue strength
    to the frame.
    Blackbird

Fat Bastard for President-2016

Custom 3x2x1/4 TS , build a new frame , Just need correct spring and shock hanger location , back in stock car stock frames we made 4130 custom frame to a Ford Coupe design never was caught. Jojn

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff25 View Post
    I do still however plan on going ahead with this one way or another........
    "What we've got here is.... failure to communicate"

There's nothing there to weld.

Dynasty200DX w/coolmate1
    MM210
    MM Vintage
    Lincoln AC225
    Victor O/A, Smith AW1A
    Cutmaster 81
    IR 2475N7.5FP
    Rage3
    Jancy USA101
    9" SB
    AEAD-200LE

Jeff

I dont know where your at, but those trucks are a dime a dozen around here. No rust in the upstate of SC

I lived up north for 27 yrs, thats the worst frame Ive ever seen. Lord help you if your in a crash, that things gonna fold like a gum wrapper.

Just my .02
    Learning one rod at a time

Jeff...
    Do not bother.

Diving head first into this is like diving into the shallow end of the pool off a 1000 foot ladder..
    You will crash.
    You will burn.
    And there will be no remains.

Trust us.

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

Hey guy's there is no hope here

Quote Originally Posted by killdozerd11 View Post
    First you need to be a WELDER

And the first thing i will tell as a Welder is

YOU CANNOT WELD RUST

Square one
    Agreed. If you can not do code quality welds in all positions, don't even attempt this. I see way to many people who can do a decent job welding flat, and maybe a semi decent job welding horizontal. They can't weld worth cr@p vertical or overhead however. To do this you'll need to be able to weld in all positions, and if you don't take the very good advise thats been mentioned about stripping the frame, you'd better be able to do all those positions well in convoluted positions, like laying on your back under the truck.

Vehicle mods and repairs on things like frames are NOT begginer or learning projects. Keep in mind anything that fails can kill in these situations especially if this is for on road use and is a daily driver. "Ugly but holds" won't cut it for this. Your comments make me wonder if you currently have the skills to do this properly and safely. I'd strongly suggest that you have someone who's familiar with this sort of work do the job, or go some other route.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

worthless repair... even if this were a paying job, i would not take it on... there just isnt a good way to go about this unless just like said before, strip the frame and then toss it int he scrap bin, get another one n start from fresh... them lil yoters were kinda famous for rusting out in cab floors n the frames...
    nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal

www.sicfabrications.com

i backhalfed an old dodge D50 back in the early 90's that was just like that. another guy had started on it and my buddy had me come look at the truck while the guy was working on it to make sure he was doing a good job.. the guy that was doing it had already started on it and had actually used the old frame and cut a foot out of the crossmembers and welded it back together effectively narrowing the frame rails.. well, we were standing there and i asked the guy if he was actually going to use the stock frame like that or if he was doing some kind of mock up, he replied yes sir thats what i'm using, i replied what are you trying to do kill my buddy? he looked at me snarling up his nose and replied what are you talking about thats plenty strong.. i simply asked if i could borrow a ballpeen hammer, he went and got me one, i drew back and smacked the side of the frame and the hammer stuck through it. the frame looked good on the outside but it was rusting through from the inside out.. my buddy's eyes got about as big as plates when he seen me stick the hammer head through the frame rail.... the next day the truck was on a rollback at my shop..

when i backhalfed his truck i had to unbolt the cab and raised the cab up about 8 inches and Z cut the frame with a grinder and cutoff wheel at about 8 inches from the backside of the cab to get into good metal.. i then made a rear subframe from 2x3 tubing and grafted it onto the front portion of the frame. then i fish plated over the joint where the z cuts were welded. i also incorporated a K frame and driveshaft safety loop at the joint.. i also had to make new rear cab mounts and new bed mounts, no bumper mounts as he was running a rollpan.. i also put a 6 point cage in the truck so that added alot of strength..

what your wanting to do is not a small task by no means. its not simply just a patch job.. the rear of the frame is junk, i would almost bet you will have to cut the frame a foot under the cab to find good metal, and you might not find it then...

if your not very familiar with welding and fabricating this isnt a job for you, and that your even contemplating just patching it, your not experienced enough to tackle this job and do it right...

I am only looking at the pictures but I don't know why you think the largest patch you will need is 4x8. Those boxed frames held water and mud and were notorious for rotting out. I have fixed 1 similar to this. I can't see how bad it really is in the pictures but keep in mind, you have to get to a place that is solid, and remove anything that is bad. make cardboard templates by tracing the areas you need to replace. Keep in mind the areas that look good are not far behind the bad areas. Best way is to replace the frame. 4x4 magazines and internet co.'s have aftermarket frames that are usually superior to OEM. May I ask how many miles are on and 85 driveline and it also appears the body in not very good cond. either. You can put much more money into this than it would take to replace it. Can't find 1 in your area, get a trailer, go on ebay and take a ride. I think "Boostin" said anything can be fixed with enough time/money, This 1 is not worth it frame wise. You could build your own custom frame if you can patch this 1 with better results. Good luck
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

(2)Lincoln 225AC/DC portables, Miller Syncrowave 300, miller sidekick,Lincoln Idealarc 250,Miller 251 Mig, Miller 30A spool gun, Hende lathe, Horizontal bandsaw, pora band ,14FT enclosed trailer.SA200's

Replace with new and good truck.
    Disclaimer; "I am just an a$$hole welder, don't take it personally ."

Why bother giving advice at this point? this dude obviously came in here with the expectation that he would get a "hey, cool project" and not a "dude toss that pile o crap"

I had a '82 back in high school. One afternoon an insane downpour managed to pop a man hole cover so that it was sitting at an angle in the street. I hit that bad boy doing about 25mph and it ripped the rear axle clean off the car and spun the me around twice.
    Wasn't till after towing it back to my dads garage that we realized how rusted out the frame was, it was a bit worse that these pics.
    ESAB Heliarc 252