american optical weld-cool
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

american optical weld-cool

I've been searching for an original american optical weld-cool lens #12 for some time now. AOSafety makes a new version of the lens but it's not the same. The new weld-cool is a green rather than an aqua blue while gazing through the lens while welding. If anyone knows where I can find the original weld-cool please let me know. If there is another lens out there that displays the same characteristics then please let me know. Thanks a million.

Re: american optical weld-cool

I know what you mean there the shiznit. nothing like them, I have a 10 and love it the one i have is a laminated 2 pieces. I have one other somewhere in storage but havent seen it in 9 yrs, Thank goodness i havent broke this one. There like gold. Well good luck.

Iam also looking for the weld cool in a shade 10 if anyone can help with this I would certainly be in debted to you
    tanks ahead of time

I have 1 of the weld cool american optical lenses in a #12 shade in really good condition i might consider parting with it. It is the old school lens i bought it new in the 80s.

would be interested in the lense you have..email me..rbenefield@alltel.net

the #12 welding lens will be posted on ebay in the near future. thanks

be sure to put up a link.

or i can just go ahead and paypal you the fifty right now if you like ?
    insert thoughtful quote from someone else

2000 Thermal Arc 300GTSW 3.5 hours
    1946 Monarch 20 x 54 Lathe
    1998 Supermax 10x54 Mill
    2004 Haco Atlantic 1/2" Capacity Laser
    not mine but i get to play with it

posted it on ebay today. thanks

link ?
    insert thoughtful quote from someone else

2000 Thermal Arc 300GTSW 3.5 hours
    1946 Monarch 20 x 54 Lathe
    1998 Supermax 10x54 Mill
    2004 Haco Atlantic 1/2" Capacity Laser
    not mine but i get to play with it

link <href>="http://www.ebay.com"<american optical weld-cool blue lens</a>

There's got to be something that is as good if not better than American optical cool blue.

I have a original AO Weld Cool shade 12 lens from 1978 when I was senior in High School and still in good shape with a slight flake off at the right corner which is covered by the hood lens frame. Bought a new shade 12 and now has a tiel green color rather than than the blue. I had 3 of them years ago but the gold flakes off from extensive use from the heat.

Called AO Safety as they no longer can get the special ore needed to make the blue tint used years ago. Also they just discontinued making shade 12 and only have shade 10 now. I Was able to locate a shade 12 through Green Safety Supply Co. before they become history.

Surprised they pulled the plug on shade 12 as at least I need it for high amps. The auto darking lens put a damper in there sales it appears.
    Home practice toys:
    Lincoln AC/DC/225/125
    Hobart Stickmate LX AC/DC/235/160
    Miller XMT304CC/CV
    Miller XMT300CC
    Lincoln LN-25
    Harris Steelworker
    OAG-SMAW-FCAW-GMAW ASME/API-AGA Pipe welding

Quote Originally Posted by n8wel View Post
    I have a original AO Weld Cool shade 12 lens from 1978 when I was senior in High School and still in good shape with a slight flake off at the right corner which is covered by the hood lens frame. Bought a new shade 12 and now has a tiel green color rather than than the blue. I had 3 of them years ago but the gold flakes off from extensive use from the heat.

Called AO Safety as they no longer can get the special ore needed to make the blue tint used years ago. Also they just discontinued making shade 12 and only have shade 10 now. I Was able to locate a shade 12 through Green Safety Supply Co. before they become history.

Surprised they pulled the plug on shade 12 as at least I need it for high amps. The auto darking lens put a damper in there sales it appears.
    yeah, but the new weld-cool is plastic. I use one right now, and quality seems excellent, but again there's nothing like the glass weld-cool.

Cannot remember if they had both versions back then, but the original one in I have from 1978 is plastic not glass.
    Home practice toys:
    Lincoln AC/DC/225/125
    Hobart Stickmate LX AC/DC/235/160
    Miller XMT304CC/CV
    Miller XMT300CC
    Lincoln LN-25
    Harris Steelworker
    OAG-SMAW-FCAW-GMAW ASME/API-AGA Pipe welding

American Optical Cool Blue Cobalt Glass Lens Shade #12
    www.Ebay.com http://cgi.ebay.com/American-Optical...3A1%7C294%3A50

Have one up for sale on eBay
    Never used original Vintage AO Weld Cool lens Cobalt Blue GLASS #12

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MESELX:IT

I would be willing to buy a shade 10 if anyone has one laying around. I had one 10 years ago but loaned my helmet to a friend. Two weeks later, broken lens. I know my uncle has one but I don't want to go ask him for it. May be my only chance of getting one though.

Do the new manufactured WeldCool lenses still have the clarity of the original blue? Found a source for them. Dad is ordering me one for CHRISTmas but I would love to have an old school.

new weld cool lens have excellent clarity. I would say far above average lens. I have one I've been using for about a year now. I like it allot. If you're used to the aqua blue clor, it might take a little getting used to the greenish color, but over all am well pleased with it. It's a sh 10 where as the sh 12 is out of production last time I checked. Good to see you put the CHRIST in Christmas. That seems to be a thing of the past while the expression "Happy Holidays" seems to be "politically correct". By the way, the word politic is combined of 2 words, the first poly meaning many, and the tic meaning a blood sucking parasite. Thus polytick meaning many blood sucking parasites.

Thanks for the info k_chupe. I guess I'll go ahead and order my new-style Weld-Cool this week. I am giving some serious consideration to going and talking my uncle out of his glass Weld-Cool over the weekend. He offered it to me about a year ago so hopefully the offer is still good. I might even be able to talk him out of a welding machine. If I get lucky maybe even a set of regulators and a torch. Hey, this may be a lucrative trip.

Just a word of advice, if you get the lens from your uncle, use it at home and be careful not to drop it. they break way easier than a regular glass lens. I have a sh 12 glass weld cool but it's too dark for tig welding. I do just fine with the new style sh 10 weld cool.

Just to be perfectly honest about it, I'm giving serious consideration to selling it once I get it. I've seen the prices they bring and wouldn't mind getting enough for it to atleast fund a new helmet (I only use a standard Fibre-Metal Pipeliner) and either some nice gloves or a set of leathers. Any more than that...well, I'd rather sell it to someone that needs it at a reasonable price than auction it off on eBay. 95% chance I can go pick it up early next week. We'll see.

what sh is it? I might consider if it's a 10. shoot me an email: k_chupe@yahoo.com

I have a shade 12 on eBay

It's brand new never used in its sleeve did some bartering for it I could not believe it was new he said its from the 70s or 80s he's got a lot but won't get me a 10 lol