oxy/acetylene kits sold at home depot
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

oxy/acetylene kits sold at home depot

I was just wondering, i have a torch already just never got the bottles and regulators n' such. I was just curious those small kits they sell at homedepot and such. How long do they typically last?

I don't have the room, or need for huge bottles since i don't do THAT much cutting that requires a torch, but i'm honestly tired of using cut off wheels to do everything, they throw SO MUCH dust around the shop. The largest i'd cut is 1/4in and thats rare, most of my steel needs are 3/16 and below.
    ESAB MigMaster 275
    Miller Econotwin HF
    Miller Syncrowave 250

Re: oxy/acetylene kits sold at home depot

Those Kit bottles don't have enough Volume to do any cutting-
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    TA 185
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

x2

If you can afford it, id spring for a plasma cutter. A hypertherm 30 is like the top of the line for smaller units, and about 1k off ebay. You can cut thin stuff like sheet, and under 1/8" with a torch, it just kind of sucks.
    "Overkill is an often under-rated achievement" -Will Hayden

HTP Mig 2400
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Lincoln Precision Tig 225
    Longevity StickWeld 250
    Hobart Stickmate AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187

a.k.a ChuckE2009 on Youtube

Those baby bottle torches have their place but its not in a shop, even if it is your garage. Good for about 15-25 minutes of cutting at the very best and cost close to what it costs for bottles four times their capacity to refill. If you have a good torch, break down and buy the hose and regulators and rent or buy some decent size bottles. Wouldn't take many refills to come out ahead.
    "The man of great wealth owes a peculiar obligation to the State, because he derives special advantages from the mere existence of government." Teddy Roosevelt

American by birth, Union by choice! Boilermakers # 60

America is a Union.

thats all i needed to know. As for the plasma cutter, i'd love to have one, but 1k just isn't in the budget. I have 3 80cf argon bottles, 1 150cf and 1 330cf bottle. I'm going to work a deal out with the weld shop to trade them all in for 2 150cf shielding gas bottles, and a oxy/acetylene bottle pair.
    ESAB MigMaster 275
    Miller Econotwin HF
    Miller Syncrowave 250

I tried one,dont bother.I got 5 minutes of heating some rusted bolts.Cant get enough acetylene to cut a few rivets.Called Teledyne for assistance,no response for 3 days.Called again this am finally got a call back from a nasty woman that said a # 2 heating tip is too much for an MC bottle.I asked why do you sell the kit with a tip it cant handle.I have 350 bucks tied up in a torch that wont work..Victor Co wont help with problems Dont buy the Gas Pony or Gas Skill kit,its crap .I got an empty gas bottle from a local dealer, the second was a leaker.I turned brand new bottles, got rusty junk in return.I have not used a torch for 10 years and got crap when I bought one.Cost 50 bucks for acetylene and oxy gen..I am back to grinding rivets to put new spring hangers on my truck.If I can get rid of this lousy oufit Ill buy a 100 buck torch kit from China and get some big bottles.I know the small kits are limited but didnt expect to crapped on by dealers.

they are good for jewelers..

Don't let anyone tell you that the torch isn't good for cutting thin. A little practice and you can make a perfectly clean cut in 1/16th sheet with a OA torch. It is all about understanding what is happening and respecting the characteristics of the process.

I would love to have a plasma too, but I find that my OA rig does so much cutting, welding brazing, heating for bending etc. that I am really happy to spend that $1000 on other shop tools or materials instead of a plasma.
    Hobart LX235
    Victor 250 Oxy-Acetylene Rig (welding and cutting)
    Bobcat 773
    F-350, 1999, 4x4, 16' 10K# trailer
    Outdoor Wood Burner - 10 cords/year

Quote Originally Posted by claymans13 View Post
    thats all i needed to know. As for the plasma cutter, i'd love to have one, but 1k just isn't in the budget. I have 3 80cf argon bottles, 1 150cf and 1 330cf bottle. I'm going to work a deal out with the weld shop to trade them all in for 2 150cf shielding gas bottles, and a oxy/acetylene bottle pair.
    Try an airgas outlet. They exchanged my o2 cylinder for an inert gas cylinder. Same size and no charge for the cylinder. I made the mistake of ordering an O2 cylinder online instead of inert gas cylinder which has a different valve.
    The guy at the counter said if I need to use the same cylinder, I can get the valves replaced for $30 including testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanse View Post
    x2

If you can afford it, id spring for a plasma cutter. A hypertherm 30 is like the top of the line for smaller units, and about 1k off ebay. You can cut thin stuff like sheet, and under 1/8" with a torch, it just kind of sucks.
    They cost $1060 directly from Hypertherm. I know this because I'm waiting for UPS to drop off mine that I ordered Tuesday.

kidtigger24
    If it ain't broke, fix it anyway!

I simply cannot justify 1k for a plasma for the amount of cutting i'd use it for. I'd honestly get much more use out of an o/a rig. I'm no newbie with a torch, i just don't own my own personal setup.
    ESAB MigMaster 275
    Miller Econotwin HF
    Miller Syncrowave 250

I hunt cylinders off Craigslist and exchange them. There are ample threads on the subject. Get an oxygen cylinder first and go propane for cutting.

I tried one,dont bother.I got 5 minutes of heating some rusted bolts.Cant get enough acetylene to cut a few rivets.Called Teledyne for assistance,no response for 3 days.Called again this am finally got a call back from a nasty woman that said a # 2 heating tip is too much for an MC bottle.I asked why do you sell the kit with a tip it cant handle.I have 350 bucks tied up in a torch that wont work..Victor Co wont help with problems Dont buy the Gas Pony or Gas Skill kit,its crap .I got an empty gas bottle from a local dealer, the second was a leaker.I turned brand new bottles, got rusty junk in return.I have not used a torch for 10 years and got crap when I bought one.Cost 50 bucks for acetylene and oxy gen..I am back to grinding rivets to put new spring hangers on my truck.If I can get rid of this lousy oufit Ill buy a 100 buck torch kit from China and get some big bottles.I know the small kits are limited but didnt expect to crapped on by dealers.
    I like the small kits for salvage but I use propane. The Victor kits are rated for propane (I checked with customer service) so you can get a cheap adapter to convert the tote regulator to CGA-510. Then all you need is a propane cutting tip (fine for heating too)
    and you can cut cheap.

Propane doesn't have the "slosh" hazard of acetylene so it's ideal for bouncing around in a truck on salvage yard runs. The small oxy cylinder will run an #2 cutting tip long enough to be useful, but what I do is fill my small cylinders from my large cylinders using a whip.

The cheapest way to go is to keep your current set, adapt to propane (about 12 bucks for the adapter) which ALSO fits large CGA-510 acetylene cylinders, get a propane cutting tip (about fifteen bucks, I buy online) and you'd be good to go.

Your torch isn't defective, so no need to dump it. Your regs work, so no need to dump them.

http://www.bakersgas.com/NAS312-320.html
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by farmall; 08-13-2011 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    I hunt cylinders off Craigslist and exchange them. There are ample threads on the subject. Get an oxygen cylinder first and go propane for cutting.

I like the small kits for salvage but I use propane. The Victor kits are rated for propane (I checked with customer service) so you can get a cheap adapter to convert the tote regulator to CGA-510. Then all you need is a propane cutting tip (fine for heating too)
    and you can cut cheap.

Propane doesn't have the "slosh" hazard of acetylene so it's ideal for bouncing around in a truck on salvage yard runs. The small oxy cylinder will run an #2 cutting tip long enough to be useful, but what I do is fill my small cylinders from my large cylinders using a whip.

The cheapest way to go is to keep your current set, adapt to propane (about 12 bucks for the adapter) which ALSO fits large CGA-510 acetylene cylinders, get a propane cutting tip (about fifteen bucks, I buy online) and you'd be good to go.

Your torch isn't defective, so no need to dump it. Your regs work, so no need to dump them.

http://www.bakersgas.com/NAS312-320.html
    great info
    >Innovations are what i leave behind for History<