Esab Rebel 215 owners - Page 5
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: Esab Rebel 215 owners

Quote Originally Posted by weldinON View Post
    I have used the 215ic on a 115V, 15A circuit with 100' extension cord. It worked, but had to be kept around 80A. Maybe just anecdotal.
    Do you have anything else running on the circuit?
    No I even checked to make sure. It welded on the same plug just fine when I plugged it directly into the wall. Even blew my 20 amp breaker trying to stick welded at 120 amps.

Quote Originally Posted by Jawslandshark View Post
    Here is the deal on extension cords, most of the stuff you can buy pre-made is pretty cheap copper/copper clad, poorly insulated and not up to par, even the ends suck. I run my Rebels on extension cords I made from 10guage SOOW or SJOOW with good industrial connectors, for 220v my cords are 6 and 8 guage. I have run 200 feet from my generators on my cords with no issues. You can get all this stuff at Lowes or HD, even order on Amazon. It costs a little more but think you will be happy and fix the issue.
    Ill try a different cord and see if that alleviates it. If it doesn't I may have to return the machine. I bought it for the being able to run it on 110v on job sites I can't reach with my leads or 100' 220v extension cord.

Quote Originally Posted by n0logic View Post
    Try this when wanting to run a long cord http://www.paigewire.com/pumpWireCal...ookieSupport=1 .
    Good link. Thank you. It's saying 8AWG for 100'
    Lone Star Mobile Welding, LLC

2006 Ram 3500
    Lincoln Ranger 250GXT
    Hypertherm 30 Air
    K2000 CAG
    ESAB Rebel 215ic
    Milwaukee mag drill
    Dewalt dry cut saw
    Milwaukee metal cutting circular saw
    Milwaukee M18 Fuel
    Chisholm Lead Reels

I calculated at max that machine draws 37.5 amps at 120 volts . Most 120v plugs in use are 15 amp ones rarely see an actual 20 amp plug installed anywhere . That would put you limited to about 40% power max on a normal 120v plug .

Amps = 1000 x KVA / Volts At 120v the 215 is rated at 4.5 KVA .

Quote Originally Posted by n0logic View Post
    I calculated at max that machine draws 37.5 amps at 120 volts . Most 120v plugs in use are 15 amp ones rarely see an actual 20 amp plug installed anywhere . That would put you limited to about 40% power max on a normal 120v plug .
    40%? I don't know about all that. It limited me to 130 amps stick welding, I was welding with 120 amps for a solid minute before the breaker popped. That would mean that you are actually limited to 52 amps...
    Lone Star Mobile Welding, LLC

2006 Ram 3500
    Lincoln Ranger 250GXT
    Hypertherm 30 Air
    K2000 CAG
    ESAB Rebel 215ic
    Milwaukee mag drill
    Dewalt dry cut saw
    Milwaukee metal cutting circular saw
    Milwaukee M18 Fuel
    Chisholm Lead Reels

Yes you can always do short welds at higher than rated amps until the copper heats up . I was calculating safe continous use . I have ran a tombstone at 200 amps off a 30 amp breaker for very short weld periods with no trouble but if your building a 60 ft I beam out of flats it's going to be a long month .