What Year is myLincoln SA-200 Red Face?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

I just got an old school Lincoln SA-200 Red Face, no serial number. The code on the side of the machine is 1668-294686. Does anyone know? It is an F-162. Also what is the voltage for the connector plug like for a a grinder?

Re: What Year is myLincoln SA-200 Red Face?

welcome to the forum ,I just looked mine up. Doesn't yours have the code and serial number on the red faceplate? I went here http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...of_Machine.pdf

I believe the outlet is 120v dc. I just used a dewalt grinder off of mine. Had to clean commuter so exciter would work.
    Last edited by JCP1969; 08-11-2011 at 02:27 PM.

Nolalu (near Thunder Bay) Ontario, Canada

The receptacle is 120 VDC. Use only on power tools rated for DC power (search this forum).

The number "1668-294686" is not a generator code. That is only 4 digits. Without a code and a serial you will never really know the year of manufacture. IF it is an American built machine you can find the code on the generator (search this forum).
    IF it is a Canadian built machine there is no code
    Gordie -- "I believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Sounds like the numbers off the engine tag. If that is the Continental engine tag number Montes can tell you what year the engine is but it might not be original engine to the welder never know. 294686 would be a older short hood from 1950s not a long hood red face. If no tag with numbers on it the code number will get you within 3 years of when was made. Sometimes but not always there is a code number stamped into the generator barrel usually on side in front of the starter but could be other side or bottom too.

http://www.montesequipment.com/

Quote Originally Posted by pipeline'em View Post
    Throughout my years on pipeline jobs the general belief I've understood on the right-of-way is that the years of the famous Red Face was from 1962 - 1968. Before 1962 I think the faceplate was small and black. After 1968 I think it was large and black.

I had an old red-face once upon a time and it was great machine. The arc was like butter. I've never welded with another machine that could compared to it in my belief. All the other red-face machines I've welded with (and that has been quite a few over the years) I've never really liked any of them I'm sorry to say.

My friend and present welding pardners 1967 Red Face machine is a pretty fair example (IMO) of a highly used pipeline welding machine and I must assume in its day it was probably a pretty good one. But IMO those days are far gone by now. I wouldn't want it setting on my rig now nor would I want to be stuck welding with it every day. lol It just doesn't have what I want left in it now.

BTW: In all my years out here I've only met one man that knew all those serial numbers in his head and could tell you what year it was by them. He was a 45 year retired Lincoln engineer. When he seen my old 80 model he told me he had helped design that machine. He was a super nice guy and I had a very long talk with him on day. I was traveling across the country pulling my camper with my rig and I happened upon him along the way. Now he was welder smart!!!!!!! No doubt.... I need him in my pit-crew.

Good luck man
    Last edited by slowhand; 08-12-2011 at 09:56 PM.