auto darkening welding helmet - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: auto darkening welding helmet

I've a question for the experts: Does the reaction time of the different AD lenses make much difference after a certain point? I see some advertised as darkening in 1/22,000 second, my Hobart XVS is supposed to do it in 1/12,000 sec, and the Miller auto lens mentioned above by JoeMayo does it in 1/3,600 sec.

The Miller is by far the slowest, but I doubt they would be selling a marginal safety product....

i brought a miller eliete it was a sweet helmet i loved the head gear .............. but sadly they dont appreciate being droped after 2 months it fell off the top of my tool box and cracked the lens

im now getting a speedglass

i dont use a AD unless i have to. they always make my eyes sore at the end of the day.
    Miller Pro 300 SS w/ cat
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Miller Diversion 165
    Miller 211
    Miller Xtreme 375
    Miller 12vs
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller Passport Plus w/ Spool Gun
    Miller 30a spoolmatic
    Lincoln AC225 Buzz Box
    Victor
    Mathey Dearman - H&M

I bought a Miller auto darkening lens for my Fibre Metal pipeliner and I love it. Bought it a month ago and no problems as of yet.

No matter how fast a lens speed is on a auto darkening helmet it is not fast enough. Light will always reach your eyes before it will darken. The speed of light is 59,014,137,600 feet per second. So a standard non darkening lens is the best you can get.

The thing that makes a good auto darkening lens is the way it is made and the UV protection it has to help keep the harmful light rays from reaching your eyes.
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com

Tecmo Wholesale Distributor and Dealer
    Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's.

I have a miller lens in my pipeliner and a speedglas for tig.
    The miller lens tends to flash sometimes when doing tig. (somehow only when I'm doing 6g with my left hand?) I will be switching to a athermal gold lens in my pipeliner for tig only.

I am an amateur TIG Welder and got a Skull Auto Darkening Helmet and i am very pleased with its quality!

Head gear... Ok don't have much of a head (7 or 7 1/4 cap size) and it must be shaped odd. Most of the hair has wore off. Sweat pours. I have trouble keeping my cheap Miller $70 on my head. I also have trouble with the 3M face shield. Eyes are over 70 yrs old (with cat a rax). Mostly weld outside. Still trying to learn. What helmet should I get?

Quote Originally Posted by Shady2 View Post
    Head gear... Ok don't have much of a head (7 or 7 1/4 cap size) and it must be shaped odd. Most of the hair has wore off. Sweat pours. I have trouble keeping my cheap Miller $70 on my head. I also have trouble with the 3M face shield. Eyes are over 70 yrs old (with cat a rax). Mostly weld outside. Still trying to learn. What helmet should I get?
    I suffer from the same afflictions. I use a Lincoln 3350 4C hood and use a short weldors cap and a sheepskin headband to hold off the sweat. The 4C lens is like HDTV for me with these crazy (cat a rax). The difference between the 4c and the regular lens is unbelievable. The down side is the price. Somewhere around $200-$250 depending on the color scheme or just the plain black hood. I also use reading glasses under the hood although the hood has magnifier lens holders.

Roy

Thank you I will try one. Didn't want to spend that much without hopefully three times improvement.

it came today. As always I was loaded with other stuff to do. Did try it for a minute. I think I am going to like it. Thank you for the go ahead encouragement.

I love the headgear. It is very compliant and comfortable. Do keep a spare 2450 battery around so you are not in need if the battery gives up. I order batteries from battery junction. The short bill weldors cap really helps keep sweat out of the eyes as does the lambswool headband. Once you get a chance to weld something you will love the color screen. Congrats on the purchase.

Roy

I bought one of these EQC's in 1999 for about $300 when they first came out :

W50 Series 3-N-1 Variable Auto-Darkening Helmet, Black by KIMBERLY-CLARK

Remarkably they still make it. It has been used extensively for 18 years, and I still use it to this day. I did replace the mask itself last year because it became brittle and chipped when I dropped it on the concrete floor. I just move the filter to the new mask and continue to enjoy this thing. It's cheap at only about $70 because they have sold so many, not because it is a cheap product. Nice setting ranges, never had a problem with it. There may be nicer newer ones these days, but you can't argue with 18 years of reliable service.

Most all of the AD hoods say they protect to shade 16 even in the light shade as far as UV and IR are concerned. Sadly you wont know for about 15-20 years if it really protects. Cataracts and blindness if it doesn't. that's why I use a Speed Glass instead of a HF hood. Jackson and Optrel are other options. trust China and Taiwan if you want to but not here.

I use a Speedglas 9100XXi when I'm welding anything from 10 amps up to around 60 and it works a treat! Havent had any issues, but I would be interested in trying out the recent 9002 helmet. I used to have one of the 9000's and it was great but they stopped making them. Anyone tried the 9002NC out? How do they go?

https://www.awsi.com.au/welding-helm...-helmet-401385