Homemade sandblaster
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Homemade sandblaster

Just a pic of my sandblaster I built works good. http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e5...y/HPIM0287.jpg

Re: Homemade sandblaster

That's a real nice bit of work on that pressure blaster. When they work right you can do some real nice cleaning work with them. I built mine many moons ago and it's stood the test of time. Another good partner to have with it is a cabinet blaster. with both of them you can handle anything.

Two things I did after I built my blaster. #1 I installed an automatic pressure release valve in the tank that was set at 100 p.s.i. so that if the pressure got to high It would blow off and not blow up the tank instead.
    #2. The other item I purchased was a good helmet and good air supply. Keep that dust out of your lungs no matter what the cost, we only get two original lungs in a lifetime.

There's no doubt about it, you did a very nice job on your blaster. Here's the link if you want to see the one I built. Paul

http://www.weldingdesign.com/323/Col...e/False/22589/
    Miller 302 Trailblazer/Custom Trailer
    Millermatic 350P/Spool gun
    Millermatic 252
    Miller Spectrum 875
    Miller Dynasty200Dx
    Miller Digital Inferno
    Dynasty Crazy Cart

Visit us @ www.specialtyrepairs.ca

Shorts,

What about the guys with Lung transplants? Don't they get three in their lifetime...

The blaster looks great, good job!
    I weld just to keep my snow plows ready for next Winter!

cool

now i want one...

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Plowman
    Shorts,

What about the guys with Lung transplants? Don't they get three in their lifetime...

The blaster looks great, good job!
    Your right but I did state " we only get two original lungs in a lifetime"
    Millermatic 252
    Miller Spectrum 875
    Miller Dynasty200Dx
    Miller Digital Inferno
    Dynasty Crazy Cart

Thanks ,I have a 1/4" npt bung welded in for a relief but have it pluged still.You sure are right about the hood the dust debris is every where.Cabinet would be nice for smaller items like rims or such,can you reuse the material when you use the cabinet?I like the inverted top idea makes it much easier to load I bet what did you use to plug the fill hole,some kind of ball?
    Last edited by kamhillbilly; 08-04-2006 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kamhillbilly
    Thanks ,I have a 1/4" npt bung welded in for a relief but have it pluged still.You sure are right about the hood the dust debris is every where.Cabinet would be nice for smaller items like rims or such,can you reuse the material when you use the cabinet?I like the inverted top idea makes it much easier to load I bet what did you use to plug the fill hole,some kind of ball?

Nice job. I'd build one but I already have a Blast products one that does nicely. I use cheap 30-40 grit blasting sand in it. I run it outside in my back acre with a hood that came with the blaster. It has large ceramic tips that last a long time.

As to cabinet blasters, I have a modified Harbor Freight cabinet, their largest one. I use medium glass beads in it and they last a very long time. I holds about 50 pounds of glass. You can also use soda or walnut shells, etc. I wouldn't run ordinary sand in it as it too large a grain even in 40 grit. The glass leaves a marvelous finish on metal and removes all vestiges of rust and corrosion from old parts. You really do need a good dust collector though. HF has a pretty good one available now. I have a vintage Cyclone collector that mounts on a 55 gal barrel. You could vacuum start your car with it.

looks great
    i use mine(cabinet) all the time, use sillica sand also

You guys are nuts! Stop using silica sand. That is some bad news bears. I use SureShot Copper Slag in a 30/60 grit. They have a 20/50 grit. OSHA does not require a respirator to use it and recommends an ordinary paper mask for "Nuisance" dust ie. black boogers. Silicosis is not something to sneeze at and using silica sand is the way you get it. Beach sand, playground sound, that is silica. Trust me or look it up.
    Lincoln Power Mig 350MP Ready Pak
    Lincoln Precision TIG 275 Ready Pak
    Lincoln WeldPak 100
    CK TIG TORCH gas diffuser and pyrex cup
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
    A stout 15 yr old son to help!!

Okay, there's another deadly disease you guys have saved me from. First it was the metal fume fever from welding galvanized and now silicosis from sandblasting. I'm definitely glad I joined this site!!!

Thanks for the info Miller Killer!
    Sure, I can fix it... I got a welder!!!

Ive been using black beauty slag products is this safe?

Guys be very careful with Silica sand. It's one of the most hazardous materials to have around. Silica causes Silicosis which in laymen's terms is "Cancer of the Lungs". IF your going to use it use equipment to what I use and have pictured. you need an air blower with a built in filter. This system provides a positive air pressure with in the helmet and provides clean fresh air. The helmet should fit perfectly and be air tight and provide some protection to your upper body from the sand. the blower should come with some long hoses. One hose will be the intake and be placed where there is good quality air and the other hose should be long enough where it can be attached to your helmet away from anyone else.

When it comes to cabinet blasters the one I use has it's own recycling system built into it. I NEVER use Silica sand in it and my choice of media is Aluminum Oxide. Although this stuff lasts much longer than glass beads it's a good bit safer to use and even though your using a cabinet blaster you should always use a dust mask. No cabinet will keep all the sand in. Here's a few pics of the gear I've been using. Paul

Millermatic 252
    Miller Spectrum 875
    Miller Dynasty200Dx
    Miller Digital Inferno
    Dynasty Crazy Cart

NIce job Kam.
    Hey Paul, I am new to the site, but I noticed you are from the rock. My wife is from Corner Brook. I have been going every year for 8 years in October for Moose hunting and Rabbit catching. I love your province. Have a great day. Brian

plans?

are there any plans available for that propane tank blaster available...it looks great

Hey Paul:

22yr old just looking for information on building my own. (Can't justify a $400 quotation)
    It seams you've got the proper set-up, and all the required gear, so I must ask.

Are you interested in a little for-hire work?
    Im a student living in stjohns, going to MUN. If your interested at all, send me a e-mail: charleswgiles@hotmail.com I've got two (current) projects id like to complete.

cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by giles45425 View Post
    Hey Paul:

22yr old just looking for information on building my own. (Can't justify a $400 quotation)
    It seams you've got the proper set-up, and all the required gear, so I must ask.

Are you interested in a little for-hire work?
    Im a student living in stjohns, going to MUN. If your interested at all, send me a e-mail: charleswgiles@hotmail.com I've got two (current) projects id like to complete.

cheers,
    Send me a PM and I'll see what your up to. Paul

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic View Post
    NIce job Kam.
    Hey Paul, I am new to the site, but I noticed you are from the rock. My wife is from Corner Brook. I have been going every year for 8 years in October for Moose hunting and Rabbit catching. I love your province. Have a great day. Brian
    Geez Brian I'm sorry I missed your post. Welcome to the site sir. My son (Navy) is stationed in Corner Brook. Great place. If you ever get over to my side of the island please feel free to drop by. I'm located about 45 minutes drive from St,John's in Bay Roberts. Tell your wife another Newfie says hi. Stay safe buddy. Paul
    Millermatic 252
    Miller Spectrum 875
    Miller Dynasty200Dx
    Miller Digital Inferno
    Dynasty Crazy Cart