More homemade shop equipment.
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

More homemade shop equipment.

It has been a while since I posted anything so here goes.

Welding positioner with a 1/2" x 12" platen.

It is basically a beefed up version of the Atlas® brand that is used at work.

The frame is 1" sq. 16 ga. wall along with 1/4" x 4" and 1/4" x 6" flat skinned with 20 gauge.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Darwinian evolution used to fix stupid. Now that humans have mostly removed themselves from the process of natural selection the survival rate of idiots has skyrocketed.

Re: More homemade shop equipment.

more.
    Darwinian evolution used to fix stupid. Now that humans have mostly removed themselves from the process of natural selection the survival rate of idiots has skyrocketed.

Will add more details and pics after work.

Pics.
    1) propane smelter
    2) small roller
    3) big roller
    4) 12" disk 6"x48" belt sander

http://www.youtube.com/user/CARDAN531?feature=mhee#g/u

http://s159.photobucket.com/albums/t150/robg_010/

That is some beautiful workmanship! It must be great to watch your ideas take shape and be useful.

Forgive my ignorance, welding positioned? what is it?

It's a lathe or turntable that slowly rotates the work piece for you. Some of them have a mig or tig torch mounted on them such that they become somewhat automatic.

Notice in the pics above how he has the ground lead attached below with a brush assembly riding against the shaft.
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 (circa 1962)
    Lincoln Weldpak 155 w/Mig Kit
    Lincoln Squarewave TIG 175

ahhh.. I should have known that.. thank you.

Where did you get those small gear reduction motor drives?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CHINAMAN View Post
    My question also... plus are these units variable speed or are you using some type of controller to regulate the speed? Those look like some handy little units.

Hello Rob, I have thoroughly enjoyed viewing your projects, the attention to detail and functionality, and the craftsmanship that you have displayed. Many could take note of and emulate your techniques to have success on their own projects, myself included. I will continue to look for additional projects that you are willing to share here. Great work! Best regards, Allan
    aevald

Quote Originally Posted by CHINAMAN View Post

Thanks
    I found these at one of the local scrapyards but you can buy them from grainger and other places.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DAY...ers&cm_vc=FFTS

Quote Originally Posted by forhire View Post
    My question also... plus are these units variable speed or are you using some type of controller to regulate the speed? Those look like some handy little units.
    Yes they are variable speed when wired to potentiometer. They are also reversible.

Quote Originally Posted by fronty_78 View Post
    That is some beautiful workmanship! It must be great to watch your ideas take shape and be useful.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by speedfreak87 View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, welding positioned? what is it?
    They are a motorized turntable. I use them primarily for round stock, sprockets, pulleys ...

http://atlaswelding.com/atlaswelding...FZJU7Aod5DHW8g

http://www.youtube.com/user/CARDAN53...23/lYF_0jzTp4E

Quote Originally Posted by aevald View Post
    Hello Rob, I have thoroughly enjoyed viewing your projects, the attention to detail and functionality, and the craftsmanship that you have displayed. Many could take note of and emulate your techniques to have success on their own projects, myself included. I will continue to look for additional projects that you are willing to share here. Great work! Best regards, Allan
    Thank you for the kind words.

The furnace... this was the biggest sheet metal project I have taken on to date. Have always liked the look of the old riveted boilers so that is the style I went with. The shell is 15 1/2" Ř as well as tall and is made mostly of 20 gauge with a little 1/8 " thrown in.

more.

The slip roll:

Don't have many build pics for some reason. The frame is all 1/4" wall tube and the rolls (which are temporary) are 1 3/4" Ř. They were found at the scrap yard and are hardened about a 1/4" deep. The wheel is 1" square with 1/2" Ř spokes and is 48" Ř. The drive chain is #40 iirc. The jack is a 12 ton air/hydro from H.F. Pillow blocks are 1".

I am hoping to run across a good deal on either some 3"-5" solid round or tubing/pipe to make new rollers out of.

two more.

Will post more tomorrow night.
    Last edited by Rob Garner; 09-16-2011 at 01:45 AM.

how did you turn the roller to roll the wheel that turns the roller?

Quote Originally Posted by weldbead View Post
    how did you turn the roller to roll the wheel that turns the roller?
    Used a 12" crescent wrench. It turns really easy.

that pic is lighter than original post ..there it is! cool roller..

Very nice. I'm book marking this for future reference.

A furnace is on my list for one day. It's been years since I did any sand casting alum. I've got any number of projects that could use that ability right now. I take it you just cast refractory cement in the shell you made for the furnace? Are you using one of the mig tip burners like they use for forges to heat it?

The positioner is another around to project at some point when funds allow. Right now I just make do with a small manual one I built to get by.

Very nice work. The attention to detail shows in things like the cover for the chain drive. I doubt many would have bothered, and it really helps show the time and thought that went into that project.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

positioner parts

Hi
    I have a ring gear and spur gear with a reducer setup attached. If anybody want to build a positioner PM me I will give you a very good price.
    the ring gear is made to bolted at the center circle and the outer rotates being driven by the spur gear. They are pretty heavy 2-1/4" thick 88 teeth on the ring and 18 teeth on the spur. The ring is 16" diameter and spur is 3-1/2" Maybe 40 pounds total.

have fun
    Tom

Rob,

On the positioner you built, do you think you'd be able to give us a good couple of close up pictures of how it's grounded to the central shaft? I could kinda see something that looked like a spring loaded copper rod in the pictures but not clearly enough to be sure. I'm thinking of building one of these and honestly, your design is what I'm gonna go off of

Thanks in advance.

--Wintermute
    "No man's knowledge here can go beyond his experience." - John Locke
    www.improvised-engineering.com
    Manufacturer Agnostic:
    Blood----------Sweat---------Tears
    ----|------------------|----------------|----
    Lincoln Red, Miller Blue, Esab Yellow

Here you go.

Awsome Thanks Rob, I appreciate it.

--Wintermute
    "No man's knowledge here can go beyond his experience." - John Locke
    www.improvised-engineering.com
    Manufacturer Agnostic:
    Blood----------Sweat---------Tears
    ----|------------------|----------------|----
    Lincoln Red, Miller Blue, Esab Yellow

Re: positioner parts

Tom, I sent you a pm.
    Thanks, David

Quote Originally Posted by acourtjester View Post
    Hi
    I have a ring gear and spur gear with a reducer setup attached. If anybody want to build a positioner PM me I will give you a very good price.
    the ring gear is made to bolted at the center circle and the outer rotates being driven by the spur gear. They are pretty heavy 2-1/4" thick 88 teeth on the ring and 18 teeth on the spur. The ring is 16" diameter and spur is 3-1/2" Maybe 40 pounds total.

have fun
    Tom

Word of caution on your ground clamp setup, I don't know what kind of amps you'll be putting through that, but my positioner at work used to have that same style of setup. The spring lost it's tension and the weld started grounding through the postioners electrical and fried like 30 feet of wiring through the buzz bar.

They switched it to a type of clamp style, I'll try and get a picture of it for you.