Solar 2175 Mig Welder Problem
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Solar 2175 Mig Welder Problem

Hi, I just signed up for the forum, I hope I am posting in the right place, I am looking for a little help to help me diagnose a problem with my Solar model 2175(made by Century) Mig Welder, I bought this new about 25 years back, has been a great machine and has been reliable and seen lots of service, I am a mechanic for a living and fix a lot of trucks and farm equipment
    The welders duty cycle when welding on the higher temperature settings last only a few minutes then it shuts down and you have to wait for it to restart after cooling off, is there a temperature controled part such as a rectifier or thermal fuse that needs to be replaced that just is breaking down from old age and many years of use?
    thanks for any help
    Tim

Re: Solar 2175 Mig Welder Problem

i hav cheap dibs on one of these and hav researched it a little bit........if you use the search on this site and google "solar welder" you will find some repairs and info on it.....also i came to the conclusion you can still get parts for it from lincoln electric , HTP and another site im not remembering + tcpglobal.com still sells the 2175 for $1800 i beleive , so you can call them also.
    i was only interested in it because it supposed to get down on paper thin 26 gauge
    thermal arc 252i - millermatic 350P - alphatig 200 gen4 - Hypertherm 1250 G3

I had one that I used for several years and that is just the way the duty cycle works, mine would wld for ten min and cut off for ten min.
    Miller XMT 304 CC/CV
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Lincoln PowerMig 255XT
    TermalDynamics 52
    Miller Big Blue 502D
    Comlpete machine shop to back it up

Hi The duty cycle on this machine has always ran for a good 30-40 minutes welding on the high heat setings before cutting out, now it is down to 5-10 minutes, it has happened gradually
    thanks Tim

I have an older one here too. Mine does just fine and welds all day without cutting off at all. Maybe you have something that is overloading now on the circuit board. It could have been run on high settings a lot and that wore out a part or two causing your problem. Mine works fine like I said so yours definitely has something going bad in it. These should weld all day long without any trouble. My brother in law owned one also from when he bought it new. His never gave him any grief either and he used it to put cars together all day long but at lower settings then I use. Still his ran for him and still does all day long without cutting off at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim T View Post
    Hi, I just signed up for the forum, I hope I am posting in the right place, I am looking for a little help to help me diagnose a problem with my Solar model 2175(made by Century) Mig Welder, I bought this new about 25 years back, has been a great machine and has been reliable and seen lots of service, I am a mechanic for a living and fix a lot of trucks and farm equipment
    The welders duty cycle when welding on the higher temperature settings last only a few minutes then it shuts down and you have to wait for it to restart after cooling off, is there a temperature controled part such as a rectifier or thermal fuse that needs to be replaced that just is breaking down from old age and many years of use?
    thanks for any help
    Tim
    Tim_ I see this thread was from years ago….What was the fix with your Solar 2175? I am also having the same problem with mine, a very short duty cycle.

Thanks,

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimhayesstormwater View Post
    Tim_ I see this thread was from years ago….What was the fix with your Solar 2175? I am also having the same problem with mine, a very short duty cycle.

Thanks,

Jim
    I had one of these fine machines back in the early 90's. Same problem. The machine is designed to work this way. The only thing I didn't like about this unit was that it made no noise when you turned it on. So to fix that I wired in a couple 110 v muffin fans inside the vented case to make noise and also to move air through the chassis. This served 2 purposes, 1) The machine now made a noise. 2) It also stopped the machine from cutting off during welding at higher temps. I used it for years until I just needed a bigger machine. Sold it to a friend who does body work and he is still using it today. Good luck my friend.