Metal Fabricator (Fitter) vs. Welder Apprenticeship
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Metal Fabricator (Fitter) vs. Welder Apprenticeship

I am just curious to know the differences between the Ontario Metal Fabricator Apprenticeship and the Welder Apprenticeship.

Wondering if its actually worth it to take the time to go through both, or just complete the schooling in one and than challenge the test in the other.

I have been in the welding industry for 8 years now, mostly heavy industry and am very comfortable welding, cutting, reading blue prints, gathering materials and so forth.

I am just having a hard time deciding if it is worth my time and money to complete a second apprenticeship....

Thanks

Re: Metal Fabricator (Fitter) vs. Welder Apprenticeship

I would recommend completing your welding apprenticeship, the possibilities are endless when you acquire that. I can garuntee you wont regret it.

Might make more sense to contact the appropriate authorities for the province in question:

Ontario
    Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities
    Telephone: (416) 326-1600
    Toll Free: 1-800-387-5514
    Fax: (416) 325-6162
    http://www.tcu.gov.on.ca/eng/employm...ario/training/

Have a Good Day and Best of Luck
    Later,
    Jason

I suggest you get your journeyman welder qualification first. If you have worked for 8 years you have enough time in to challenge. If you are not sure a bit of upgrade time might be required since you have to perform several weld tests with several different procedures and processes. You also have to provide proof that you worked in the trade. This can be your pay stubs, employment insurance statements and notarized testaments from employers. People do attempt to forge letters etc so make sure you have concrete evidence.
    The fabricator qualifications are primarily math and blueprint reading. You likely have enough time already to also challenge. In both cases your local college would be able to provide an outline of what the requirements are.
    In any case I suggest you try for a "Red Seal" qualification in both trades which is interprovincial. Lots of work in Alberta.

Sorry for any confusion, I have completed my welder apprenticeship already...

But I got it all worked out

Thanks