Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Re: Lugweld. 280 STH calibration

I have my board I will try and install it tomorrow and see how she does. My board doesn't look like it was soldered together by a blind person either lol. To all those wondering don't worry if it doesn't work I will be back to complain. I have had my board a few days now just haven't had much time to do anything with it. Being close to Christmas and just getting a bunch of new reloading gear my focus has been elsewhere. I find it funny that AC/DC tig is wrote on the board. I guess this board is used on more than one machine ?

Also will our machines need to be calibrated now ?
    Journeyman / Red Seal Welder (What a useless test)
    Miller CST 280
    Miller XMT 350
    Miller 12vs Xtreme
    Evolution Evo 28 mag drill
    Evolution 380 Dry Cut saw

south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter

The new designs of the units do share common parts with our new componentized service system. It helps to keep parts commonality, and improve repair and diagnosis times if needed. The boards should be calibrated, but the calibration is on the boards iirc.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Yeah I know the calibration is on the boards that's why I asked about if it would need to be calibrated once installed. :-) Good to hear it should be done.
    I have the calibration procedure, my machine came from the factory way too hot, so the service department sent it out to me.
    Miller CST 280
    Miller XMT 350
    Miller 12vs Xtreme

The board is in !! I will fill you all in in a little bit off to grab a bite to eat !
    Miller CST 280
    Miller XMT 350
    Miller 12vs Xtreme

Just got a tracking number for another board. Not due in for a few days tho
    -Everlast PowerArc 280 STH
    -Hypertherm Powermax 30 XP

Well it wasn't too bad to install. I have had my 280sth disassembled before to calibrate it. The good. The board is calibrated pretty close, I was running at 120 amps and was getting 129 amps on my dc clamp meter. Having to solder on that ground was the hardest part lol. Lets just say I'm useless at that, but I got it done. I removed the screws from the old board and put the new one on top of it and started switching cables. I removed the ribbon cable before I placed the new board on top. Once I got most of the cables switched I took a pic of the remaining cables with my phone (I had to remove a couple at once to get the board out). I removed the old board and put the new one in place and put the rest of the cables in.

Lugweld I wouldn't jump just yet on installing these new boards in your machines in the warehouse !!! I finally got to weld with the machine. I ran a couple of passes of 1/8 7018, all seemed well so I kept welding. I welded out a 3/8" plate with backing bar. In all total the arc went out about 3 times. Its not as bad as it was. BUT this is how it started last time. The machine ran ok in the beginning and then got worse as time went on. I am going to run the machine some more, maybe tomorrow if I have the time. I'm really going to PUSH IT. I'm going to start burning some 5/32 and 3/16 7018. See how it handles those and see if the issue gets any worse.
    Miller CST 280
    Miller XMT 350
    Miller 12vs Xtreme

Here is a picture with me showing where the arc went out and started again. It looks like a bad start/stop but its not.
    Name:  20161203_151515.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  62.2 KB
    Miller CST 280
    Miller XMT 350
    Miller 12vs Xtreme

Well I burned some more rod today. It appears as I stated above my machine is still doing this. Not NEAR as bad but the arc does till go out from time to time. If the arc is going out and then lighting itself back up you are going to have porosity in that portion of the weld ! I will keep welding with it over the next little while when I am free and see if it gets any worse.
    Miller CST 280
    Miller XMT 350
    Miller 12vs Xtreme

Quote Originally Posted by Newfie_1986 View Post
    Well I burned some more rod today. It appears as I stated above my machine is still doing this. Not NEAR as bad but the arc does till go out from time to time. If the arc is going out and then lighting itself back up you are going to have porosity in that portion of the weld ! I will keep welding with it over the next little while when I am free and see if it gets any worse.
    Any additional update Newfie? Or anybody else? My second board arrived a couple weeks ago but i keep welder over at parents house and my work schedule got a lil hectic with a couple small shutdowns and emergency repairs so I haven't even had a chance to get over there to install it yet.

I haven't used this machine since I wrote that last post. The machine still does the same as it did before, its just not near as bad. I would not class this as an Xray capable pipe machine, I would be very concerned about the arc outages and porosity. I'm going to continue running the machine when I can and see how it goes. It appears there is no interest in this post any more.
    Miller CST 280
    Miller XMT 350
    Miller 12vs Xtreme

I've not heard from the others that had problems since this. I can only assume they are happy and their problem is fixed. I want to get to the bottom of this, but you hear more from problems than fixes.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

[QUOTE=Newfie_1986;7979521 It appears there is no interest in this post any more.[/QUOTE]
    I still follow this and another thread out of curiosity, but having decided to go in a different direction, curiosity is all that's left.

Finally got board installed and got couple hours welding in yesterday. Didn't have any issue with arc going out and relighting with both 7018 and 6010. I'll be able to weld a bit more tomorrow and check again but so far it appears to have solved my issue. Thank you lugweld!

That's good to see. I plan to run mine some more and see what happens. I know it is a lot better than it was originally. Still don't know if I would trust it on an x ray joint though. Us pipe welders tend to be picky about arc quality. A lot of faith has been lost in this machine... I will post my findings when I weld with it some more. I have some welding I need to do in a week or so anyhow. I have to practice up for some testing. Some of this is flux core so I will have to run the XMT350 but other stuff is stick T-class 7018 root/fill/cap on pipe, along with my f3/f4, f6/f4, f6/f5.
    Miller CST 280
    Miller XMT 350
    Miller 12vs Xtreme

Newfie,
    We've got people doing exray work with our machines. Arc quality isn't a question in general. If you have lost faith, it is understandable, but as a product and product line in general, arc quality isn't a problem or even a second thought.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Lugweld

I'm talking about arc quality with this particular machine ! Arc quality with my machine is an issue ! As I said this machines arc still isn't right, as you could see in the PHOTO I posted above. I didn't intentionally beak the arc and relight there, the machine did that on its own while running a pass (since the new board has been installed). It is better than it was but not perfect. My CST 280 doesn't extinguish the arc and neither does my XMT 350. I plan to weld with this machine some more and see how it does. If I do continue to have issues I will just cut my losses with the machine and make a YouTube video with my TRG 42 and some .338 Lapua ! A good excuse to go blasting $6 rounds ! I have had calibration issues with this machine, foot pedal issues with this machine and arc issues with this machine, which to be honest, as I said above I don't think the arc issues are resolved. I have had about enough of this machine !

Its not like I could sell it with a good conscience. So might as well use it for target practice !
    Last edited by Newfie_1986; 12-26-2016 at 10:24 PM.
    Miller CST 280
    Miller XMT 350
    Miller 12vs Xtreme

Newfie,

I am not sure what to make of your posts. You were hot fired to get a fix, but then you really haven't worked with it since you've gotten it. I understand busy, but when you say one thing and then do another.... Others seem to be satisfied, but we are more than willing to try to resolve this, but you really haven't given us much to go on. You are in Canada, and bought this from the US IIRC. That makes it more difficult to support, but we've tried but no feedback video wise, and precious little detailed information makes it hard to figure out. And I've not heard anything in the way of a call either to try to figure this out.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Just a update on this issue... It's now 3 months since putting in new board and I have not had any issue with arc extinguishing. Arc seems a little "hot" compared to Miller's I use as school but I've been told those run colder than the Lincoln's and other machines there anyways. Things again lugweld! I'm very satisfied with this machine

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

It is too bad that this took 7 months to get to a resolution. One challenge for a small company versus a large company with a lot of resources. Kudos to Everlast for working the issue but one observation is that updates should go both directions. Even if it's just a status update with no change, only takes a second and goes a long ways towards customer relationships. Seems that most of the conversation was requesting updates by the customer. These type issues should be handled as a very high priority to get a fix as fast as possible, may only be a small issue with a few machines but can end up as a major problem that hurts the company immensely. All the hundreds of machines that work great are of no consequence to those with the problem.

Where did I say this machine was bought from the US ? You recall wrong !

I'm sorry I have been pretty busy for the past while, I am actually a welder by trade and actually work ! I have also since been dealing with some health issues. So I haven't been on here in a while. In another few weeks when I get set back up again to do some welding I will try the machine out some more. The last I used the machine it still didn't seem to run right. There are photos here in this thread. There are also photos on here of me using the machine burning 5/32 when I first got it and the welds were smooth as glass (no arc outages). The fact that this machine ran fine for a time with the first board, and then started to run like crap leads me to believe there is more wrong with it. The problem with the original board was supposed to be programming? So why didn't I have the issue from the beginning ?

As for calling, I had contacted your support through email on the foot pedal issues and the arc outage issues (They ignored the arc outage issue) !

I'm not digging into this machine any more to pull or change parts, my trade is welder I'm not an electronics person. Lincoln sent me a dud machine they offered to repair it or take it back ! Everlast sends junk they want me to call them so we can talk about it and have me fix it !

If this machine isn't working right there should be none of this non sense of take it apart and fix it yourself it should be sent to a repair facility and that's that !

When I first got the 280 STH it ran great, maybe the 5/32 rods burned something up in it I don't know ?

Quote Originally Posted by lugweld View Post
    Newfie,

I am not sure what to make of your posts. You were hot fired to get a fix, but then you really haven't worked with it since you've gotten it. I understand busy, but when you say one thing and then do another.... Others seem to be satisfied, but we are more than willing to try to resolve this, but you really haven't given us much to go on. You are in Canada, and bought this from the US IIRC. That makes it more difficult to support, but we've tried but no feedback video wise, and precious little detailed information makes it hard to figure out. And I've not heard anything in the way of a call either to try to figure this out.
    Miller CST 280
    Miller XMT 350
    Miller 12vs Xtreme

Newfie,
    This machine isn't sold in Canada typically. That is why.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

It was purchased here in Canada. I called them direct and asked if they had one. I believe it was the last one they had in stock at the time ? I will update in a few weeks time if it is welding ok or no. As of now I have to weld outside and the weather here isn't so nice this time of year. As I stated above the last time I used this machine it acted up the picture is just above on this page. It never did this when I first got it, which leads me to believe it isn't a programming issue with my machine? I would have seen the issue right from the start if that was the case ???

Quote Originally Posted by lugweld View Post
    Newfie,
    This machine isn't sold in Canada typically. That is why.
    Last edited by Newfie_1986; 03-21-2017 at 09:01 PM.
    Miller CST 280
    Miller XMT 350
    Miller 12vs Xtreme