welding fever
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: welding fever

welding fever

this is a real thing, i got it today welding up a 3" exhaust for a friend. i thought i had enough ventilation but i was horribly mistaken.. chills, body aches, fever, headache, and nausea. this was aluminized mild steel with flux core wire and i wire wheeled the aluminized off where it got buzzed together. dont make the same mistake, when in doubt, at least bust out a box fan..

Re: welding fever

Quote Originally Posted by slowstang88 View Post
    this was aluminized mild steel
    Aluminized? I think you mean it was galvanized. There are plenty of posts, warnings and anecdotes here about welding anything galvanized. Breathing zinc fumes is very bad for you.
    Lincoln AC225 & MigPak 140, Lincoln Magnum SpoolGun, Miller Spectrum 375-X Plasma, Syncrowave 200 TIG, Millermatic 252 MIG, Miller Digital Elite, General 7x12" horiz/vert bandsaw, 3' box/pan brake, 20 ton press, milling machine, 12x28 lathe, etc.

Did you see white wispy looking fumes around the weld area? I think aquafire has it, more likely galvanized steel... what you typically get at the auto parts store.

Lots of warnings here about welding it. Have heard that drinking milk will help, but can't confirm that, as I've never had the problem.

A disposable welding fume respirator will prevent that.

It was not galvanized, I've tried welding that before and it welds like crap and you get the whitish yellow powdery crap, I did weld stainless though and that can contain zinc or so I've been told.. I will never make this mistake again either way.

I've had it once or twice too.

Its always after a night of drinking and working in the garage.
    Some of it was a Hangover, but I've definitely had the cold flashes and flu symptoms.

The nausea SUCKS, because once you start, it lasts half of the day at least.

I always use a fan to keep the immediate fumes away.
    Lincoln 125HD, yep I'm a big spender.

Drink Milk Immediately after feeling the first signs of nausea. This really works well. Ive done it numerous times in 50 years of welding. Mac

I used to work in a muffler shop. We DID call it aluminized for some odd reason. I really don't know what it was. But it was a better grade than the plain steel. I don't know how they mix alum with steel.
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

it's an aluminum oxide coating
    idealarc 250/250 ac-dc tig
    idealarc 250/250 ac-dc tig #2 used for stick
    lincoln sp100
    hh125
    dual arbor grinder polisher
    30 yrs of hand tools
    52 pitch blocks 6p-26p
    rake gauge -pitch gauge
    G&D prop repair
    918-207-6938
    Hulbert,okla 74441

I have had it ONCE. From welding galvanized on a cell tower in a hole in the ground. It gave me the ****s and the shakes in the middle of the night. ONCE is enough. I am much more careful now.

"Don't breathe the white smoke"

Sorry to hear you got it. Sucks

David
    Real world weldin.

When I grow up I want to be a tig weldor.

Galvanized metal welds fine. But breathing the fumes (without grinding it off) produces metal fume fever.

I don't believe there are any adverse effects from welding aluminized steel.

You might have been welding galvanized and not known it? Or you might have a flu virus.

Whatever you got, though, sorry you had to go through it. A respirator is like $15 and has all sorts of benefits.