helmet lens fogs up
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

helmet lens fogs up

I have a Lincoln Vista helmet and I'm having problems with the lens fogging up while welding. The fogging is occuring between lens layers and takes a fair amount of time to clear once they have fogged up. Anyone have any recommendations on how to stop this? Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: helmet lens fogs up

Hello DeerMan, I have a couple of suggestions. First, take some black electricians tape and wrap it around the edges of your lens while they are stacked, this will seal the inner shaded lens from picking up moisture. Second, go to your local sporting goods store and pick up some sort of no-fog spray or other type of anti-fog and use it as suggested by the manufacturer. Between these two suggestions and others that will likely be given to you, you should be able to get a handle on the fogging issue. You're certainly not alone with having this problem, lot's of other folks have faced and conquered it right along with you. Best of luck and regards, Allan
    aevald

IIRC a little bar soap (hand soap) rubbed in the surface, then rubbed clean works to keep things from fogging.
    Regards,

Robert Hall
    Great Basin Welding

Miller 280DX
    Miller 212 /w Spool gun
    Lincoln Idealarc 250
    Power Plasma 50
    Victor Torches
    K7QD

Also breath thru your nose all the time hood is down. This creates a downdraft keeping the warm moist air away from the lenses.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

rainaway might help the situation if you take the lenses apart to apply it.

another antifog agent is spit, and wipe, but its fairly short term. good for an inner lesne fog though.

pancake hood
    Lincoln Pro Core 125
    Lincolin sp 100
    Miller Big 40
    Lincoln Idealarc SP250
    miller matic 212
    http://www.facebook.com/hdwelding?sk=wall
    www.hdweldingbeds.com

Quit breathing in there.

Used to know a guy who smoked all the time under his hood
    Backed my CATMA over your CARMA oops clusmy me

What would SATAN do ??

Miller Digital Elite
    Miller Trail Blazer 302 Air Pak
    Suitecase 12RC
    Hypertherm PM 45
    Victor O/A
    Evolution Rage 3 saw
    Rusty old Truck

Scuba divers wipe spit in their mask as anti-fog. It works pretty well on welding lenses too.

Not recommended if you are chewing tobacco...

Take a short piece of masking tape, black tape or freezer tape and run it across the bottom of the lense or lense cover just barely catching the bottom edge and well down on to the mask area below the lense. It doesn't stop the surface fog but it stops the fog from getting between layers. Don't use some gooey tape like duct tape cuzz it will leave glue when you peel it off. Warm the hood up a bit before putting it on for welding. The disparity in temps increases the fogging.

I try to use some cheaper masking tape where the glue just sort of dries up with time.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Between welds, I keep the inside of my hood under the flexible light on the band saw. That and Rainx anti-fog works for me.