Mig sputtering issues.
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Mig sputtering issues.

I have a ch wg2160 c25 mix with .6mm wire. the instructions say voltage 2 and speed 2 for 20ga.

I have not had any luck with it. flux core was not much better. I did check polarity. I can hear the gas when i turn on the torch. but cant get it to get a good bead.

trying stringers if I put the voltage to 3-4 wire to 2.5 and angle the torch to 45 i can start to get a bead going, but have blowthrough issues. it still is a bit jumpy to.

any suggestions would be helpfull.

Re: Mig sputtering issues.

I don't know a whole lot, or much at all, about welding...but 20 gauge I don't believe calls for beads when mig welding. You will warp it fairly quickly that way.

Mig welding with gas requires POSITIVE electrode and NEGATIVE ground. Is it hooked up that way?

Perhaps if you started on something thicker.

David
    Real world weldin.

When I grow up I want to be a tig weldor.

45 degrees? I think that's way too much. At that far an angle from vertical (or plane of your work surface, whatever), gas coverage is not so good. Try more like 5 degrees with a 3/8" stickout.
    Last edited by wirehead; 10-30-2011 at 09:56 PM.
    XMT304 (school)
    SP125+ (home)
    HF 4x6 Bandsaw

Good judgement comes from experience and much of that comes from bad judgement.

The OP is using 0,024 mig wire with C25 gas, and is trying to weld 20 gauge.
    Check your set up . Positive voltage to the miggun, negative voltage to the work clamp.
    Next make sure the contact tip is FLUSH with the end on the nozzle. You will want 1/8 to 3/16 stick out. (3/8 inch would be good for fluxcore). Start the arc on a test piece push the gun down and pull it up to find the best stick out for your welder and voltage set up. Use your chart to start. Leave the voltage setting alone and adjust only the wire speed. Make small adjustments until the arc is dialed in. 20 gauge metal is tack welded. short fast welds that are worked all the way around until you have one complete weld. Jumping from one side to the other to control warping and allowing the first weld to cool.
    In mig welding the arc will pulse if the wire speed is to slow and on some machines it will pulse if the gun angle and distance from work is not right.
    All this said make sure your wire is not slipping in the drive rolls and the liner in your gun is not kicked or your tip damaged. Check spindle brake. You should be able to release pressure roller and pull your weld wire by hand from end of miggun. May need pliers to hold on to the wire,
    If the 20 gauge is galvanized It will be hard to weld, Fumes are toxic and the galvanized coating should be removed. It messes with the arc.
    Last edited by ccawgc; 10-30-2011 at 11:05 PM.

yes I did verify correct polarity I even tried it reversed to verify the instructions didnt have it listed wrong.

I had used a wire brush on it to get it cleaned up no difference. you could see where the surface was cleaned. I tried on my trailers angle iron where i cleaned it up same result.

The contact tip is slightly recessed maybe 1/16?

I will try grinding the pannel tomorow it does appear to be galv. I had tried the distance but will probably have to play more with the speed to see if that was the issue.

grant last i checked you should be able to put a bead down using any welding method as a test to verify it works right.

I would Try and get the contact tip flush with the nozzle or even protruding slightly and you only want about 1/4 inch of stickout also 20ga is awfully thin stuff to start on if you could find some thicker stuff it might be easier.

XMT304 (school)
    SP125+ (home)
    HF 4x6 Bandsaw

Good judgement comes from experience and much of that comes from bad judgement.

Re: Mig sputtering issues. [Solved]

Dr and wire you were exactly right. I totally spaced that one yesterday. Just ground down the tip and its 100% better. I may have to grind it down a tad further but its close now. I can get a bead going on a flat piece now at factory specs. 2 voltage 2 spead

YAY now i might be able to get the car inspected today since its due