HELP!!!! Miller 211 vs NEW Lincoln 180 Dual
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

HELP!!!! Miller 211 vs NEW Lincoln 180 Dual

I know this is the age old question, Ford or GM, but I'm in the market for a welder in the size range of the Lincoln 180 DUAL or Miller 211 and I can't decide.

For those of you that don't already know, Lincoln has just come out with a response to the 211's dual voltage capability. It is a 180 machine with that same ability, difference being a separate cable, rather than a plug adapter.

I will be using the machine for a variety of operations. I would probably say that 3/8" Mat'L could be a possibility and I plan on getting a spool gun for aluminum either way I go. I know both machines are great and both brands are excellent, but I need to know, is the 30 Amps the 211 has over the 180 dual substantial enough to pay the extra dough.

I'm looking at a whole kit so the difference between the two brands with the machine, mask and spool gun is about $1650+ for the miller setup (with $75 rebate) (I’ve got to pay extra for gloves and a smock...etc.) or $1348 if I get the Lincoln 180 Dual and opt out of the $100 rebate for the Welding-gear pack which includes a mask, bag, gloves etc. I know I need the accessories and that weld pack is convenient, but I'm not sure the machine will meet my needs.

So you know, I'm in Canada. I've priced them out all over my area, there is no shipping cost and those prices include the 13% tax we have here. I'm not going to find a better price in my area and I doubt shipping from anywhere else would be better since the man is always screwing us with more tax, duty, brokerage nonsense... etc.

PLEASE HELP! ASAP

I'm in a bit of a hurry because the Miller rebate ends this week on Friday November 4, 2011.

All opinion are appreciated!

Regards,

Jarrod
    Last edited by Ginjee; 11-01-2011 at 09:50 PM.

Re: HELP!!!! Miller 211 vs NEW Lincoln 180 Dual

The additional output power that the 211 offers over the 180 dual is significant enough to definitely be noticable. With solid wire and shielding gas, off a 230 V input, the 180 dual is a marginal 1/4" unit on steel. Set up the same way the 211 offer enough power to burn into 1/4" real good.

With solid wire, I personally don't consider either a 3/8" steel unit for anything critical.
    Last edited by Dan; 11-01-2011 at 10:08 PM.
    ESAB Migmaster 250

Hobart Ironman 230
    Hobart Handler 210 MVP
    HH125EZ - nice little fluxcore only unit
    PM 180C

Maxstar 150 STH - very nice

Hey Ginjee,
    There is no contest regarding the difference if you plan to do aluminum....the 211 wins hands down, although you will be limited with the thickness of alum.. If you are going to be doing any alum. over 3/16", get the 252 instead.

Denny
    Complete Welding/Machine/Fab. Shop
    Mobile Unit
    Finally retired

*Moderator*

"A man's word is his honor...without honor there is nothing."
    "Words are like bullets.... Once they leave your muzzle, you cannot get them back."

Both machines are very good units, if the price is not and absolute deal breaker I would go with the Miller for the extra amps, Think it will help if you ever want to go with a spool gun on aluminum. How are the machines priced without the packages? You can get your hood and gloves almost anywhere unless the items in the deal are that much of a value. You can do great work with either unit in the 1/4 inch or less range.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

(2)Lincoln 225AC/DC portables, Miller Syncrowave 300, miller sidekick,Lincoln Idealarc 250,Miller 251 Mig, Miller 30A spool gun, Hende lathe, Horizontal bandsaw, pora band ,14FT enclosed trailer.SA200's

I am happy with my 211. I do not regreat the purchase. I woud lie the 252 but the extra cost made it tough and I do not weld much over 1/4". If you are close to the Hamilton area you can give it a go.
    Mike
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Millermatic 211 and spoolmate
    Power Plasma 50
    Syncrowave 180 SD

Mike

I like dealing with a company that is friendly,helpful and honest as opposed to Lincoln that would stike a knife in you as look at you.

you might look at the Hobart 210mvp (110v or 220v)

or weld fabulous is selling the Thermal arc fabricator 210 (220v only) for like $1335, its 250amp with 16tap settings.. http://www.weldfabulous.com/Welders/...-p8553829.html

Quote Originally Posted by kolot View Post
    Both machines are very good units, if the price is not and absolute deal breaker I would go with the Miller for the extra amps, Think it will help if you ever want to go with a spool gun on aluminum. How are the machines priced without the packages? You can get your hood and gloves almost anywhere unless the items in the deal are that much of a value. You can do great work with either unit in the 1/4 inch or less range.
    The machines are both on sale at the moment. The 211 is $1079.00 less $75.00 for te rebate and the 180 Dual is $949.00 less $100.00 for the rebate or you can opt out of the $100.00 for the optional welding gear pack. Which has a helmet gloves, lightweight jacket two pairs of gloves, and a duffle bag.

Why is Lincoln all about the gimmicks?

I agree with Denny, if you are serious about wanting to do alum, get the MM211 with the extra amps. The other thing to keep in mind is that with the extra top end amps, your duty cycle at lower amps is usually higher compared to that of a machine with less top end power. If you can afford it get the biggest machine that's reasonable.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan