PQR for AWS D1.1
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

PQR for AWS D1.1

Does AWS D1.1 allow 1 PQR (full penetration) to qulalify multiple WPSs for partial peneration. Asuming same process. For example:

A514 to 44W
    MCAW
    1 X Fillet, 1 x Sg. Bevel PJP, 1 x Double Bevel PJP & 1 x Flare Bevel.
    All qualified by 1 full penitration PQR.

Re: PQR for AWS D1.1

That makes sense to me, but I don't know if those are dissimalar metals that need a compatible filler.

This is a great question for the AWS discussion forum.
    "Nothing welded, nothing gained."
    Miller Dynasty700DX, 3 ea. Dynasty350DX, Dynasty200DX, ThermalArc 400 GTSW, MillerMatic350P, MillerMatic200 with spoolgun, MKCobraMig260, Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm 1250, Hypertherm800

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    That makes sense to me, but I don't know if those are dissimalar metals that need a compatible filler.

This is a great question for the AWS discussion forum.
    All are Flat/Hor using E76C-K4-H4 (E110C-K4-H4)

To my understanding each joint type would need a WPS when any of the essential variables are changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bastard View Post
    To my understanding each joint type would need a WPS when any of the essential variables are changed.
    That is my understanding, especially concerning weldments of dissimilar metals.
    Miller Dynasty700DX, 3 ea. Dynasty350DX, Dynasty200DX, ThermalArc 400 GTSW, MillerMatic350P, MillerMatic200 with spoolgun, MKCobraMig260, Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm 1250, Hypertherm800

I think I found it:

AWS D1.1 - 2006. Table 4.5 - PQR Essential Changes Requiring WPS Re-Qualification. General - Para 31. Page 139. Not sure if this cover it, but it sound like for groove type, a CJP will cover it.

Anyone go a copy of the 2006?

all of them need a seprate wps....not sure about the fillet weld..

Quote Originally Posted by sixxgeeee View Post
    all of them need a seprate wps....not sure about the fillet weld..
    But you can generate many WPS from a qualified PQR.

AWSB2.1, section 2.1.5 states; "A WPS may require the support of more than one PQR, while one PQR may support a number of WPS,s. PQR's qualified using different processes may be combined to support a WPS."

If you write your WPS loose enough, you can tackle many applications IMO. Best to review the spec.

Quote Originally Posted by johna@ddi View Post
    Does AWS D1.1 allow 1 PQR (full penetration) to qulalify multiple WPSs for partial peneration. Asuming same process. For example:

A514 to 44W
    MCAW
    1 X Fillet, 1 x Sg. Bevel PJP, 1 x Double Bevel PJP & 1 x Flare Bevel.
    All qualified by 1 full penitration PQR.
    Quote Originally Posted by johna@ddi View Post
    I think I found it:

AWS D1.1 - 2006. Table 4.5 - PQR Essential Changes Requiring WPS Re-Qualification. General - Para 31. Page 139. Not sure if this cover it, but it sound like for groove type, a CJP will cover it.

Anyone go a copy of the 2006?
    Looks like you are on the right track. I am using AWS D1.1 2008.

Table 4.1 Qualifcation Test> Weld Type> CJP Groove> 2G
    Qualified for F, H in the following Groove CJP, Groove PJP, and Fillet

Then Table 4.5.31 Any CJP groove weld qualifies for any groove detail conforming with the requirements of 3.12 or 3.13. (These are all of the prequalified joint types listed in Clause 3)

So you should be able to have one PQR from a CJP Groove 2G welded plate in the appropriate thickness to meet your requirements. This will satisfy the requirements for multiple WPS's that will cover your joint design changes (make sure your PJP joint designs are covered in Table 3.12 or Table 3.13).