Hobart 8500 or champion 10,000
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Hobart 8500 or champion 10,000

Ok so I have the chance to guy a brand new champion 10,000 with 2 hours on it new 50ft leads for $2500 or a used hobart 8500 with 25ft leads and cover for $1000. which would you go for. If my reseach is correct the 10k is only 30% duty cycle at 230 amp DC only and the 8500 is 100% at 210 and it does ac or dc. should I go with the used machine because its more capable even know its slightly smaller.
    Miller Thunderbolt
    Craftsman Flux core mini mig
    Victor cut skill torch

Re: Hobart 8500 or champion 10,000

I also have the option to buy a Miller Legend AEAD-200LE for $2000
    Miller Thunderbolt
    Victor cut skill torch

tractor supply has the champion elite listed for $3200 brand new and it is a 100% duty cycle machine in ac and dc. i don't know mmuch about the miller that you had listed, but of the 2 hobarts, the bigger newre machine woud be my choice. my $.02

The elite must be the newer model with higher duty cycle.
    Miller Thunderbolt
    Victor cut skill torch

Quote Originally Posted by HOBART View Post
    tractor supply has the champion elite listed for $3200 brand new and it is a 100% duty cycle machine in ac and dc. i don't know mmuch about the miller that you had listed, but of the 2 hobarts, the bigger newre machine woud be my choice. my $.02
    This is along the line of what I was thinking also. I would be looking for a new Champion Elite before I'd buy that one for $2500. Northern Tool has the Elite for $3199 and free shipping. That would get you out of a lot of sales tax. I think you should be able to find the Elite for less if you look around.
    Stephen
    Millermatic 251
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Miller 30A Spoolgun
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    Etc., etc., etc.............
    Cancer Sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by 02powerstroke View Post
    The elite must be the newer model with higher duty cycle.
    It's also rated for 11,000 watts versus the older ones at 10k.
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 (circa 1962)
    Lincoln Weldpak 155 w/Mig Kit
    Lincoln Squarewave TIG 175

If he goes the new route for $3200 or so, I'd opt for a Bobcat and get a machine that can do CC/CV for just a bit more. Cyberweld lists them for about $3380.

Me personally, I'd want the CV capability. On the machines the OP posted, I'd want the extra aux power of the 10K unit. That said, if the 8500 was relativly low hours, I'd probably make do with the lower aux power to save some cash.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Well the nicer used ones were bought up quick and everything else around here is junk for top dollar. So I'm thinking of saving my money and going new, I have limit space in the back of my service truck so I'm thinking of these two machines.(lincoln Eagle) or (Miller wildcat) But to me it seems like the Lincolns a better deal higher duty cycle bigger generator, but I like the weight of the miller because this is all going in a SRW 250 with a reading utility bed.

Miller http://store.cyberweld.com/miwi200endrd.html

Lincoln http://weldingsupplyusa.com/index.ph...eid=6&Itemid=1
    Miller Thunderbolt
    Victor cut skill torch

[QUOTE=02powerstroke;575284]Well the nicer used ones were bought up quick and everything else around here is junk for top dollar. So I'm thinking of saving my money and going new, I have limit space in the back of my service truck so I'm thinking of these two machines.(lincoln Eagle) or (Miller wildcat) But to me it seems like the Lincolns a better deal higher duty cycle bigger generator, but I like the weight of the miller because this is all going in a SRW 250 with a reading utility bed.

Miller http://store.cyberweld.com/miwi200endrd.html

Lincoln http://weldingsupplyusa.com/index.ph...emart&Itemid=1
    Miller Thunderbolt
    Victor cut skill torch