sheet metal- welding new rocker panels on truck - stick or Mig? - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: sheet metal- welding new rocker panels on truck - stick or Mig?

Quote Originally Posted by yorkiepap View Post

To woi2ld: There are (2) definitions of "stickout"..... TIP STICKOUT or WIRE STICKOUT. My referring to stickout was as posted.... TIP stickout.

I will stick firm to my guns from my original tiny post. Theres only one definition of 'stickout' anddddd theres 'protruding tip' , 'flush tip' and 'recessed tip'...............Paps , 'tip stickout' would be conveying more confusion and not at all helpful to an already complex situation that you say is easy in your short guarantee you can do it yourself book. Please try to convey exacting information
    Lincoln SP-135 Plus, Solar 2-175 wire feed welder, Iwata LPH 400

Good and bad points with both surely? Same as always - up to the individual. I always prefer mig welders but i am assured by others that for certain jobs stick welders are the way forward!

yorkie, thanks for info,found info on sibronze intereresting, been having some trouble with the Miller 212 w/.030/.035 rollers and 15 foot whip, and it was strongly suggested that panels be done entirely by adhesives to us by mgmt, and after a tete a tete, they are going to replace with .023 rollers which is not standard equipment in that machine, and new lead, liner 7' long, and consummables, to much burn through and warping near welds.So, will try silicon bronze at first opportunity on spot welds if we cannot get it right with e70s6 .023.The miller 212 has a tip extending out from the nozzle about 1/8th of an inch, is this normal or wear from prior uses wire brushing nozzle, also find that their is a really difficult time using weld through primers like welding dirty uncleaned welds even after cleaning weld area/hole with solvent, and wire is bird nesting, so what I have been doing is ditching weld through primer altogether. So sibr may be the ticket to solve this machines problems.I have a T/A 190 but don't want it in the bodyshop.

Hey pistolnoon,
    I am not in favor using any kind of primer, weld-thru or not. Your best results will be with clean/bare metal. SilBrz comes in .030 as the smallest dia. & your MIG tip is fine with a 1/8" protrusion, & will be the best setup IMO as that's how I have done all my resto's. Remember.... C25 w/70S-2 & 100%Ar w/SilBrz. Birdnesting can be an issue with .023 with 10'+ MIG cable assemblies & getting another cable to shorten, or shortening the one you have will generally solve that problem. Post your progress & the changes you implemented.

Denny
    Complete Welding/Machine/Fab. Shop
    Mobile Unit
    Finally retired

*Moderator*

"A man's word is his honor...without honor there is nothing."
    "Words are like bullets.... Once they leave your muzzle, you cannot get them back."

I do have a roll of .023 silicon bronze wire, but it is a few years old so may not currently be available. I believe it is Harris brand wire.

I have ran .023 silicon bronze and steel in 10' guns (both Lincolns) with no feeding problems. Maybe you could try a different model gun, also check condition of drive rolls, wire guides, etc.

John
    A few welders
    A lot of hammers
    A whole lot of C-clamps

Quote Originally Posted by yorkiepap View Post
    it's not a "weld".....it's a braze.

is it fair to say although brass and bronze have similiar appearance , they are distinctly different.? and that brazing with brass rod dipped in brazing flux or by using flux-coated brazing rod is great with an acetylene torch BUT 'welding' with 'brass rod' polutes the argon gas sheild.?.............i keeep hearing and seeing 'weld with silicon bronze rod' or 'mig weld with bronze wire' ( not allowed in here )....and 'brazing' with 'brass rod'.....would that be GMAB and not GMAW
    Lincoln SP-135 Plus, Solar 2-175 wire feed welder, Iwata LPH 400

Quote Originally Posted by woi2ld View Post
    'stickout' is misunderstood. What it really means is the distance from the mig welding tip (also called contact tip) to the arc. Not the distance from the nozzle to the arc.....a longer stickout will soften the arc which is a really good thing on thin sheet metal like body panels.
    with that said , the protruding tip works fine allll day on 20 gauge , but thinner.? wat about even 24 or 26 laugh. lets say youve got this certain mig dialed as low as you can go and allll youve got left is stickout to control the heat....do you see your misunderstanding in my drawing , amatuers wont see it
    where do you get the longer tips for the protruding tip? i would like to play around with that.
    bobs77vet/37ford4dr

HH190
    Lincoln Invertec 155s
    Lincoln weldpak 100
    sears/craftsman (lincoln) 50a 240v buzz box
    O/A rig Harris gauges
    nexion cut 50 dx
    chicago electric (HF) 240v spot welder