220 volt welder, generator ?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

220 volt welder, generator ?

Hello,

This question has probably been answered a bunch of times already, but I can't really search the forum right now because my internet will be down for a couple of days and now I only have my phone to get on here. So, my question is, I'm about to purchase a 220 volt ac/dc welder and I have a generator in the garage that know one uses and its capable of running 120/240 volts , so basically I just need to know if the welder will run correctly off the gene?

My dryer outlet is 240, but that will be my last stop. I gotta check the breaker tomorrow to see if it will handle it.

Thanks

Re: 220 volt welder, generator ?

Unless it's an inverter, you're going to need a 10kw+ genny to run it. And yes this question has been answered. Many times....
    My name's not Jim....

Syncrowave 200
    Millermatic 251 w/bottle mod
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Cutmaster 81
    Jet JTM-1 mill
    Jet GH-1340-W3 lathe
    Ellis 1600

You can find out yourself! There is an easy math way of finding out.

Simply multiply what voltage your welder uses -Times- The Amperage you welder draws.

For Example: A 240 volt welder that draws 50 amps will require 12 kW to run. 240(V)x50(A)=12,000(W).

The typical Dryer outlet will supply 30 to 40 amps at 240. If you plan to use it, be sure you won't exceed it's rating. Also, you'll likely have to convert the plug or build an adapter.

What kind of welder do you have?
    What kind of generator do you have?

-Alex
    -Alex

Sears/Craftsman 230A Buzzy Box
    Sears/Craftsman 180A Buzzy Box
    Chicago Electric 80A Inverter

ALL STICK...ALL THE TIME!

I spent a lot of time with the square peg and round hole.

First off sorry fellas for the double post I didn't even realize I did that until now when I logged on. I posted from my phone so I guess it posted twice.

Arcspark - I'm picking up a Lincoln electric ac/dc 225-S tomorrow.
    The generator won't work, it's one of those cheap ones just in case we ever need it for a power outage because that happens a lot around here especially in winter. I checked the dryer outlet and it's 240 obviously and the breaker it's on is a 30. Now the range is on a 50 amp breaker so I guess I'll go with that. It would be much better if I can use the dryer outlet. I also know that I have to convert the plug . Anyone have any suggestions on what wire to run from the welder to the dryer/range?

For an extension cord for the welder you can get away with 10/3 cord. If it's going to be fairly long, go with 8/3. You might want to look up the thread on making a 220v extension cord on here. Most of this is well covered there.

As far as the dryer outlet, you can usually run most 3/32" electrodes with that machine, from a 30 amp breaker with no issues. 1/8" electrodes gets a bit iffy depending on the cord length and the electrode used. Usually if you need to run 1/8" or larger, your best bet is a 50 amp breaker.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

I picked up a 50 amp RV extention cord. They plug right into a range recepticle and I was able to get it cheaper than a welder extention cord.

Groo - good idea, good call... Thanks
    Dsw- thanks again lol . On my other thread that you answered I asked about a welder from harbor freight and was wondering if you knew anything about them? It's a Chicago electric ac/dc arc welder.