Home made Band Saw mill !
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Home made Band Saw mill !

Hey all, I have been on here before asking some questions about welding, I have since built a band saw mill, my welding hasnt improved lol looks bad but holds but then again I havent done much welding either !

http://photos.yahoo.com/darryl_86 go to the 2006/09/09 album for pics.

Re: Home made Band Saw mill !

Wow, very cool. I was at a rough cut lumber place this week, just down the road from my house. The guy who owns it has a huge 4 cylinder diesel motor on his with laser site. I'm not sure what brand it is but it does nice stuff. Yours is very ingenious. How do you keep the blade from going "off-track" or off-tire in your case?
    John
    - fabricator extraordinaire, car nut!
    - bleeding Miller blue!

http://www.weldfabzone.com

If you look at the photo "saw mill 003" you will see a the way I have the driven wheel attached to the mill, if you look close you will notice that the hub is attached to a piece of square stock which is then attached to a piece of Angle the angle has a grade 8 bolt in it that acts as a hinge point for the hub.

Originally I had an adjustment bolt in the angle to Adjust the tow on the wheel (which keeps the band on the wheels). But the bolt hole stripped so now as a quick fix I have a chisle jammed in between the angle and the arm as a spacer and the red C clamp keeps the angle tight to the chisle keeping the tow adjustment set.

The mill runs on a 6.5 horse power engine from Princess auto, I plan to upgrade to an 11 horse power soon or maybe 13... Who knows !

There's a guy that lives near our farm that has built several of those on the same principle that you are building yours. One thing that I recall he did differently was to use metal wheels for the band instead of tires. Don't know where he got the wheels, but his machines were very nice. Only problem he had was turning over big logs.

Nice job I plan on building one this winter as a project for shop.A little bigger though ,how does that chain drive and clutch work for you most of the ones I've seen are belt driven.Also on your saw raise and lower mech looks like you are using cables,do they work good.how did you set the saw hieghtand keep it therre.Again nice job

Just found this site.Do you have the pics you can send me of the sawmill you built in 05?
    scor440@aol.com

my neighbor had built a realy nice one and it pwered by a 3 cyl kubota anf it all was made by scrap
    Of course I don't look busy.....I did it right the first time!

I sold this thing quite some time ago, have since went on to become a welder, so im still around here....
    Journeyman / Red Seal Welder (What a useless test)
    Everlast Powerarc 200
    Everlast Powerarc 140
    Lincoln SA 200 Red Face
    2013 Lincoln Ranger 305G Welds like a Champ
    Pro Star Heavy Duty Torch set (Victor heavy duty)