He probably didn't feel it.
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

He probably didn't feel it.

But it killed him. Stupid mouse decided to chew on my air compressor feed line. It's a 15 amp 240 circuit. I pulled all new wire from the panel to the motor control switch and to the compressor.Name:  20161106_165452.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  42.5 KB
    Eventual master of the obvious, practitioner of "stream of consciousness fabrication". P.S. I edit almost every post because because I'm posting from my phone and my fingers sometimes move faster than my brain.

Re: He probably didn't feel it.

Wonder if it tasted better after he was cooked? A few years ago my insurance company made me run any of my surface wiring through a plastic conduit (because we all know mice can't chew plastic) anywhere it ran through a wall. Was this out in the open or near where it went through a bulkhead? I'd be hardpressed to run a new wire for that, but if I did I'd switch to knob and tube. Little suckers will take a while to chew through that...
    Last edited by whtbaron; 11-06-2016 at 08:35 PM.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

This was where it passed through a sill plate.
    Eventual master of the obvious, practitioner of "stream of consciousness fabrication". P.S. I edit almost every post because because I'm posting from my phone and my fingers sometimes move faster than my brain.

I gots my doubts on whether munching through wires actually kills them damned critters.

I had a 120VAC 30A (RV) power cord munched all the way through. No dead mice or ground hogs in the vicinity.

Poison bait stations definitely eliminates wire munching in about 1 season.
    Be wary of The Numbers: Figures don't lie,. but liars can figure.
    Welders:
    2008 Lincoln 140 GMAW&FCAW
    2012 HF 165 'toy' GTAW&SMAW
    1970's Cobbled together O/A

Oh yea... I had a situation similar to above. It was at a right angle where the wire came out of the ceiling and the mouse chewed it right at the hole. The wire, the mouse and the charred ceiling were all smoking when I walked in the barn. I'd still recommend knob and tube for that location.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Oh yea... I had a situation similar to above. It was at a right angle where the wire came out of the ceiling and the mouse chewed it right at the hole. The wire, the mouse and the charred ceiling were all smoking when I walked in the barn. I'd still recommend knob and tube for that location.
    Can you get the specs on that? My copy of the NEMA manual is a bit dated...
    Welders:

It was a 7.5 amp mouse on a 20 amp circuit - clearly a code violation . . . Needs aat least a 20 amp mouse to be legal . . ,

<ducks>

- Tim
    Last edited by tadawson; 11-08-2016 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
    It was a 7.5 amp mouse on a 20 amp circuit - clearly a code violation . . . Needs aat least a 20 amp mouse to be legal . . ,

<ducks>

- Tim
    Oh, it was a 20A mouse all right, briefly.

Quote Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
    I gots my doubts on whether munching through wires actually kills them damned critters.

I had a 120VAC 30A (RV) power cord munched all the way through. No dead mice or ground hogs in the vicinity.

Poison bait stations definitely eliminates wire munching in about 1 season.
    If a breaker panel has an open knockout there likely will be several dead mice in it. I believe it's electricity, not old age.

Willie
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

once in a while I see NM they have chewed out in the open. Much more often, it's where Romex passes through a drilled hole in wood framing. In one building they would chew the same piece of cable every day. Each time I replaced it, they chewed it. I finally drilled a bigger hole beside it, they never chewed it again.

Willie
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Out here it's lizards that get in thru open KOs and get fried on the bus. The enzymes in their body then runs down the bus and eats the plating off and the panel begins to fail, one stab at a time.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Had a small rat worm into an AC unit here . . . cooked itself on a contactor, and the residue was so cooked in that the contactor could not be gotten to not arc over amd birn thereafter . . . amazing how small a hole the little bastards can get through seekimg warmth . . .

- Tim

Was at the fire station when they dispatched us for "a fire on a utility pole". A squirrel ran along a cross-arm and bridged a 13.2KV line. We found the critter on the ground, he looked like a hot dog that was left on the grill too long. Shut off half the valley when he fried himself.
    Canoecruiser
    Harris dual-stage O/A
    Lincoln 225/125 AC/DC
    Hobart IronMan 210
    Lincoln PowerMig 135
    Miller 3035 spoolgun
    Thermal Arc ArcMaster 185
    Thermadyne Cutmaster 52
    Clausing 2286 drill press
    And the usual toys....

Quote Originally Posted by bigb View Post
    Out here it's lizards that get in thru open KOs and get fried on the bus. The enzymes in their body then runs down the bus and eats the plating off and the panel begins to fail, one stab at a time.
    I'm amazed that so few do it yourself electricians use KO plugs.

Willie

In Guam it was the brown tree snakes arcing across the transformers that caused so many blackouts per day......kept us CAT mechanics busy working on the generators.

Mike, I wondered why you seemed so confused until I did a Google search and apparently I was using the wrong terminology... odd, I've heard local electricians call it that. I guess the proper term is Aluminum covered BX cable. It's this stuff anyway.....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Watched a squirrel short out a transformer 20' up a poll fell down though it was dead nope thing woke up shook a bit then slowly moved away. Could not believe it! killed power for the whole town!
    Welders: IdealArc AC/DC 250
    Lincoln AC 225
    O/A torches
    Lots of Hammers and Clamps!

MC is its proper designation, (metal clad). It is great for homes, garages, and a multitude of applications. In the US it's prohibited in agricultural buildings where animals are housed. I bet Canadian rules are more strict.

A recent trade magazine had an article on fire investigation. In this case a huge free stall structure burned, a total loss, though part of it was still standing when the firemen finished. Investigators blamed corrosion eating the jacket allowing the sharp edges to damage the inner conductor insulation. A thin spot in insulation was then susceptible to surge on the power line during a lightning strike. It's a fine product in storage buildings, but not animal buildings.

Do not confuse MC with the old BX, notorious for burning houses.

Willie

I found this little guy, who apparently was exploring the inside of a live "handy box", pretty surprised to find the Hot side was so different than the Neutral as he exited

I guess I should have had a cover on it ~ huh?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mike, I wondered why you seemed so confused until I did a Google search and apparently I was using the wrong terminology... odd, I've heard local electricians call it that. I guess the proper term is Aluminum covered BX cable. It's this stuff anyway.....
    I know quite well what Knob & Tube wiring is. I was being silly by referencing it as part of current wiring codes. (pun intended)

Yeah, BX is about as vermin resistant one can get until your start exploring explosion proof wiring techniques.
    Welders:

Quote Originally Posted by BaTu View Post
    I found this little guy, who apparently was exploring the inside of a live "handy box", pretty surprised to find the Hot side was so different than the Neutral as he exited

I guess I should have had a cover on it ~ huh?
    Hey, no pesticides! Though there is a certain yuck factor for the squeamish.
    Canoecruiser
    Harris dual-stage O/A
    Lincoln 225/125 AC/DC
    Hobart IronMan 210
    Lincoln PowerMig 135
    Miller 3035 spoolgun
    Thermal Arc ArcMaster 185
    Thermadyne Cutmaster 52
    Clausing 2286 drill press
    And the usual toys....

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    MC is its proper designation, (metal clad). It is great for homes, garages, and a multitude of applications. In the US it's prohibited in agricultural buildings where animals are housed. I bet Canadian rules are more strict.

A recent trade magazine had an article on fire investigation. In this case a huge free stall structure burned, a total loss, though part of it was still standing when the firemen finished. Investigators blamed corrosion eating the jacket allowing the sharp edges to damage the inner conductor insulation. A thin spot in insulation was then susceptible to surge on the power line during a lightning strike. It's a fine product in storage buildings, but not animal buildings.

Do not confuse MC with the old BX, notorious for burning houses.

Willie
    Yea, as long as I had pigs in the barn, it was surface wired NMW all the way... even MC would have rotted in the ammonia infected air. Now that I'm renovating it into a heated shop, I'm more concerned with potential mouse chewing than corrosion from bad air quality...
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

On the subject of electrocutions --- I wear my EH rated boots RELIGIOUSLY when welding (and I've put more safety features in place than most). The problem with earth leakage (can happen ANYTIME) is if you're LEFT HANDED (like me) and current (earth leakage) problems surface in the left hand --- they then run down the left torso (heart path).............righties have a smaller problem
    Miller CST 280
    MillerMatic 211
    Lincoln Square Wave 200
    Oxy-A Big & Small Tanks/Torches
    ESAB Plasma Cutter

This little guy took a nap across my 200A mains.
    Name:  20161227_140931.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  39.8 KB

The cable pictured is MC, Metal Clad cable, MC has a insulated grounding conductor, & does not require anti- short bushings, AC, Armored Cable, commonly called "BX" has a steel armor, & has a aluminum bonding strip, & anti-short bushing is required, both products are covered by separate articles in the NEC. MC is what is sold at big box stores like HD, not BX.

http://weldingweb.com/attachment.php...1&d=1478839218