Poor conditions at new workplace involving welding fumes - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Poor conditions at new workplace involving welding fumes

To clarify lots of companies try to go big with small bids on the backs of employees and I'm more than willing to work for them but I'm not going to kill myself or my brothers to do it, hard work all day ok know problem dangerous work I'll go over there head if I have to, I work to live not the other way around

Quote Originally Posted by Grand dad View Post
    Okay so these things do happen, but you ain't having it!
    Grand dad I never quit over a safety issue! I quit because I didn’t like the way the job was being run. Or I quit a 40-hour a week job to get a 60 + hour a week job.
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

If you brought safety concerns up and he did nothing, that should show where his priority is at. If he cant spend a few bucks to make the workplace safer, he obviously only cares about making money. You need to decide what is more important to you, health or a job. If you can, make the job safer on your own, I dont think you can get in trouble for that.
    '82 SA 200
    Ranger 8
    HH 140EZ
    Ironman 230

It's his responsibility, but it's your lungs. I worked at a shop in the UK where they didn't have ear plugs, safety glasses, or a respirator. I liked that job. I stayed there for three months and learned a few things. I would just buy $50 worth of PPE and carry-on. Get the blue 3m mask that vents downward.
    SqWave 200
    Millermatic 190
    Airco 200 AC
    Hypertherm PM45
    Boice-Crane Band Saw
    Victor O/A

My bad CEP I misunderstood you.
    So update #3 I brought it up again and to my surprise he agreed to get a respirator for me. Here's to hoping he doesn't buy a generic one but it's a step to the right direction. However he only did this after I informed him of my intention to leave. Can't help but feel a bit suspicious. I agree Brazin, thing is I do not mind my job responsibility and position whatsoever, it's good honest hard work. But being stationed in front of that welder all day (if I'm not doing that I'm restocking the parts I need for assembly) is a killer. Thanks for the tip as well, I think I saw a recommendation of that mask on youtube the other day, the 7500 series?

The model and make of the welder by the way is: Hobart Arc-Master 351. Anyway even with this change I am not entirely convinced. He told me that the labour department approved of the setup but after being there for merely 4 days I'm already having noticeable issues.

I'll stop being indecisive and make up my mind on whether to stay or not haha, so far everyone's comments have been incredibly insightful.

I'm not trying to convince you to damage your health, but I'd hate for you to miss a good opportunity. Of course I've noticed that if it was an awesome job they probably would've hired someone else. Just my experience.
    SqWave 200
    Millermatic 190
    Airco 200 AC
    Hypertherm PM45
    Boice-Crane Band Saw
    Victor O/A

You're right, this is closer to the unskilled labour type of work but I have to start somewhere to get going onto better things. We'll see how far putting my foot down on this whole fiasco gets me.

my job supplies everything- hand and power tools,gloves, leathers, 100% of safety gear even lunch if i cared to eat the food in the chow hall. it sometimes takes a while to get cartridges for my respirator but i have no problem reaching into my pocket on occasion for something that will protect my health.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Cartridge is a lot cheaper than a doctor or hospital visit.

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTIG View Post
    Late 50s is "quite old". Dang whippersnappers these days!
    Lol!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I would call fed and state for the safety issues, if not you then who? What if the next guy to take your place, if you just leave, doesn't k ow any better and puts in 20 years.
    I would speak to the owner, worst thing is he **** cans you and you can either fight it or get another job.
    I run a shop and I will do anything for my guys for safety. It costs what it costs to get the job done. You can't make people....well I guess you can but that's another discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by docwelder View Post
    my job supplies everything- hand and power tools,gloves, leathers, 100% of safety gear even lunch if i cared to eat the food in the chow hall. it sometimes takes a while to get cartridges for my respirator but i have no problem reaching into my pocket on occasion for something that will protect my health.
    Same here, work pays for everything ppe and provides yearly allowance for boots/clothes.

Even if he's buying the gear - tell him what you want him to buy - I can almost guarantee he'll get the "cheap" stuff and then play the card "what, I bought you gear..."

Quote Originally Posted by firedudetl1 View Post
    Even if he's buying the gear - tell him what you want him to buy - I can almost guarantee he'll get the "cheap" stuff and then play the card "what, I bought you gear..."
    I'm already anticipating that outcome... Requesting a several hour break tomorrow to go to the shop myself (the closest retailer for this type of gear in my area closes at 5:00 grrr ) and if he declines I'm out of there.

By the way did I mentioned how awesome everyone in the thread has been? Thanks for being so concerned over a random dude on the interwebs

Last and hopefully final update:
    I basically accepted that the owner gave up on even bothering to enforce safety standards in relation to welding so I took it upon myself to get suited up in the right equipment. Bought a respirator (3M 7500 with 2097 filters) yesterday and it was an absolute lifesaver. I can't believe how effective it turned out to be, not a damn trace of that foul smoke or any other fume for that matter. Made working actually completely stress free and finally gave me peace of mind knowing that I won't feel like I just chain smoked an entire pack of cigs at the end of the day. Thank you for recommending it. Also began wearing a welding helm the other day, some old one lying in the shop with ADF but dead batteries. No matter, I don't need intense shade protection since I'm well away from the arc but as it occasionally turns up in my field of vision a helmet is necessary. I shamefully admit that I got the infamous welder's flash on my third day without any idea of what it was. Radiation is a tricky thing to comprehend until it's too late sometimes :/ Took a few hours to get used to the helmet but I feel fully protected and my eyes are getting back to normal. I end this thread with just two remaining questions.

1. If someone could refer me to a foolproof way of cleaning the respirator I'd be much obliged. The manual recommends mixing several chemicals with which I have no experience and will definitely refrain from even attempting anything. As far as I understand some of the rubber critical material may even become damaged and defective if in contact with certain solutions. So far I have been using the 3m 504 respirator wipes and ending with a submersion in lukewarm water and a rinse.

2. I would like to get a helmet with a good field of view so assembly is a bit more smooth. Because I am not legitimately welding anything and am not looking at the arc constantly I don't need the pipeline or ADF size of lens to minimize exposure. This was recommended to me, yay,nay? Jackson passive shade 10 with 4.5x5.25in plate https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/en/...0/_/R-JCK14975

If it hasn't become redundant yet, thanks again for all of the treasure trove of helpful comments. I seem to have accidentally entered this field but now after a week I am excited about continuing educating myself and hopefully work under a legitimate supervisor one day. Being young and forgoing university for so long I think I have found that drive to develop a skill worth learning.

I believe they sell safety glasses that will protect from getting flashed .Can't use them for welding

I agree, get a good pair of wrap around shade 3 or 5 glasses.
    What wrong with plain soap and water to clean to your respirator .

Quote Originally Posted by GerryM View Post
    I agree, get a good pair of wrap around shade 3 or 5 glasses.
    What wrong with plain soap and water to clean to your respirator .
    If the soap won't degrade the quality of the mask and seals then I'm all for it.
    Directly from the manual:
    Do not use cleaners containing lanolin or other oils.
    I really wish my chemistry knowledge was up to par now...

When you say good pair, which brands do you have in mind? Also glasses or goggles? I do a lot of turning around and don't want my peripherals to catch stray unfiltered arc. I was considering goggles as a solution for this but was hesitant because of the lower 5 shade compared to the standard 10 although... they probably wouldn't sell them if they weren't effective *shrug*

Here's what I have available locally in terms of goggles.
    https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/en/...ggles/_/N-f9m0

The hard plastic comes off the front of that 7500 respirator, I put mine through the dishwasher a few times. After a few minutes with that respirator you'll wonder how you ever got by without it!
    SqWave 200
    Millermatic 190
    Airco 200 AC
    Hypertherm PM45
    Boice-Crane Band Saw
    Victor O/A

Quote Originally Posted by Brazin View Post
    After a few minutes with that respirator you'll wonder how you ever got by without it!
    Indeed. If one of the filters comes loose it's immediately noticeable. Well thanks for the assurance I'll start using some soap on that thing as well.

Re arc flash: I suspect good wraparound safety glasses may do the trick. As far as I know, most safety glasses are polycarbonate, which has inherent UV protection - which you really need - in addition to excellent impact protection. I don't know in your situation how close you are to the arc, so there conceivably could be some IR issues if you're real close - most uncoated polycarb seems to have good IR transmission (from what I've read). Check the labels on whatever you buy, or call the safety glass companies and ask them. Hope this helps.

Basic soap and hot water is all you need to clean a respirator that you are using, assuming it is only you using it. If otherwise, you will also want to disinfect it. Just wash it like a cup or mug. Don't beat it up, but get it clean.

Curious - why would a filter "come loose" as you noted? You get it caught on something or what? They tend to stay put pretty well.
    -Dave
    XMT304, 22A Feeder

Warm water and a squirt of Dawn dish soap or whatever dollar store brand you prefer. Respirators are like underwear, only wear your own.
    Ryan

Miller Multimatic 200 tig/spool gun/wireless remote
    Millermatic 350P, Bernard/XR Python guns
    Miller Dynasty 350, Coolmate 3.5 & wireless remote
    CK WF1 TIG wire feeder
    Miller Spectrum 375 Xtreme
    Optrel e684
    Miller Digital Elite
    Miller Weld-Mask

Quote Originally Posted by davec View Post
    Basic soap and hot water is all you need to clean a respirator that you are using, assuming it is only you using it. If otherwise, you will also want to disinfect it. Just wash it like a cup or mug. Don't beat it up, but get it clean.

Curious - why would a filter "come loose" as you noted? You get it caught on something or what? They tend to stay put pretty well.
    Cheers for the suggestion on Dawn dish soap xryan, that's an accessible brand where I'm at. Yes it's only me that is using the respirator.

davec - I tend to raise the helmet a lot (only when nothing is being welded of course) when moving about the shop getting parts for what I'm making or when checking if everything is in place and aligned properly before I start up the machine so naturally the filters are being slightly nudged each time the helmet comes back down. Doesn't happen very often but maybe once a day. Slowly getting acquainted with having it down the whole time though. I'm roughly 5 feet from the arc at worst. Anyway I ordered that Jackson helmet I linked above, it was fairly cheap only about $25 and at least I know it will be effective. Thanks for the advice on the polycarbonate properties NotAPro_OH I might switch to glasses once I feel a bit more comfortable with purchases.