Poor conditions at new workplace involving welding fumes - Page 3
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Poor conditions at new workplace involving welding fumes

I'd bet you have high levels of nickel, chromium and manganese in your shop air --- long term exposure results in brain cancer and Parkinson's (manganese triggers it)
    Miller CST 280
    MillerMatic 211
    Lincoln Square Wave 200
    Oxy-A Big & Small Tanks/Torches
    ESAB Plasma Cutter

Quote Originally Posted by AutoTech View Post
    I'd bet you have high levels of nickel, chromium and manganese in your shop air --- long term exposure results in brain cancer and Parkinson's (manganese triggers it)
    That's frightening if true. I don't know if those metals are floating around, being welded is strictly plain steel, not stainless as it rusts the next morning after being taken out of the cnc machine. God my knowledge of metallic compounds is embarrassing. At least, I am using my respirator as mentioned in one of my posts above, the other two guys don't seem to bother. Can't escape exposure to these things when you're entering welding I suppose but I do my best to mitigate the dangers.

I'm aware of two welders who worked in "steel mills" (no exotic materials --- just the plain steel) and BOTH developed brain cancer unexpectedly, suddenly. It's difficult to directly correlate exposure with the onset of these diseases, but I for one know some of these environments are chock full of carcinogens.
    Miller CST 280
    MillerMatic 211
    Lincoln Square Wave 200
    Oxy-A Big & Small Tanks/Torches
    ESAB Plasma Cutter

It sounds like you used an auto helmet that was laying in the shop, which is a shade 3 or 4 when there is no arc or power, but you may have ordered a fixed shade 10, at only $25 bucks. That means the new helmet will always be too dark to see through, without an arc right in your line of sight to light things up. Maybe I read it wrong, or maybe you misunderstood how auto helmets work.

The auto helmets are supposed to protect you to the maximum shade, from uv, even when set to a lighter shade. The auto part just controls the amount of light. I would try not to go any darker than you have to, for non welding work. Dark shades will make it harder to focus on what you are looking at and may cause eye fatigue. A light tint could still work well, and clear would do if you don't end up looking right at the weld. Of course, use a #10 or darker if you are watching the welding up close. Wearing a helmet when not needed, will get old as well. You can get clear face shields with a light tint, but should still have safety glasses under them. This would give a large area of tinted protection but allow you to see through all of it. You could flip it up for a non tinted view.

Good luck with the job.
    Miller 330abp
    Miller 211 inverter, M150 spool gun
    Miller 135
    Miller 375 Extreme plasma
    CNC plasma table (build in progress)
    Femi 120abs portable band saw
    Many other tools
    Too little garage space
    Not enough money

Hey Grand dad, just wanted to remind you,this job that you have is one of many in your lifetime, it has its pros and cons,I understand you are not happy with a few things but remember,it is temporary, you'll be out of there soon but while you are there, learn as much as you can, if there's a welding machine, ask if you could use it, ,if the smoke is a concern, buy the proper respirator, steel toe boots,gloves,helmets, don't think the next job will be much better, it maybe it may not, don't quit until you have learned all you can,then find another job without telling anyone, once you have secured a job,then quit the current one.
    Ken from ontario,Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by CGT80 View Post
    It sounds like you used an auto helmet that was laying in the shop, which is a shade 3 or 4 when there is no arc or power, but you may have ordered a fixed shade 10, at only $25 bucks. That means the new helmet will always be too dark to see through, without an arc right in your line of sight to light things up. Maybe I read it wrong, or maybe you misunderstood how auto helmets work.

Good luck with the job.
    RIght you are CGT80 >.< I have realised my mistake with great shame . Only a day later I read the inside of that auto darkening helmet more carefully to see that it has a shade 4 passive lens while not powered. It's enough for what I do, I'm never staring directly at the arc intentionally, just glimpses here and there. Now I've got this shade 10 helmet lying around the house, ah well maybe in due time it will see some use (:. Maybe it's time to do another little update on how things are going. I've been doing a lot of reading and educating myself more on welding, man I sounded like an idiot in my first post with the mig and tig comment . I'd probably be hard pressed to find any tig automation anywhere let alone a small shop. Generally doing a lot better at that job, realising that if no one is going to bother with ppe I'll just have to do it for my own sake. So far no complaints, I may look goofy running around with a respirator and inactive adf helmet but I feel far better at the end of the day and those days of exposure quickly add up. Slowly learning the ins and outs of this industry as I go on, it's quite rewarding and captured my interest like no other field so far.

Thanks on the suggestion of the face shield, I'm looking for more mid shade options that won't compromise on UV protection but for the moment I'm content with the helmet.

distrbd thanks for the advice on the transitioning of a job. That part has always struck me as awkward and I never understood how to deal with it too well. Yep, I'm not expecting whatever comes next to be that much better, only thing to do is work my way up from here. Needed that dose of reality.

Quote Originally Posted by pat h View Post
    People bad mouth unions but that's some of the perks, a history of sticking together for better conditions you'll never get rich and most work for their money 30 yrs in my trade myself(U.A.) almost always treated good if I wasn't I walked away, you gotta make your own conditions nobody else will.
    Not "people"badmouthing unions.. Dingleberry semi-literate rednecks who continue to vote against their own best interest to the delight of the plutocrat-fatcat scumbags who falsely appear to adore the idiots.
    These are the same geniuses who scream about that thar soshilliss suckeritty but are the first to go demand SSDI when they get drunk and fall off the trailer roof.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    Not "people"badmouthing unions.. Dingleberry semi-literate rednecks who continue to vote against their own best interest to the delight of the plutocrat-fatcat scumbags who falsely appear to adore the idiots.
    These are the same geniuses who scream about that thar soshilliss suckeritty but are the first to go demand SSDI when they get drunk and fall off the trailer roof.
    Smile . . . or shot their hand off lowering their rifle down out of their tree stand when out deer hunting! This actually happened to an "Ol Boy" down in the lake region of Missouri.

Jim
    Jim

Yea...I think if you just ask him to provide a better 3M mask for welding fumes.....He'll buy them for the shop pretty quick. I wouldn't get all OSHA on him. That'll really set a bad tone and he'll probably think you are a trouble maker. A good attitude goes a long way. Just ask him for the masks....He'll buy them for you IMO.

Already way ahead of you Tim9. I had to buy all of my supplies paying out of my own pocket, policy or not I quickly realised for myself and with the help of all of the guys who posted here that it's my body and I better take care of it if he's too stubborn to do so. Even suggested my co-workers do the same but they're indifferent to the idea. I tried, but it's their lungs they're putting at risk. As that saying goes, "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink". What it is, is years of lax standards and suddenly here comes this young guy who actually gives a damn about proper ventilation and concentrated fumes in an indoor space. It's quite a sudden change, no?

Without disclosing too much I'll only say that the other two people working had no better prospects for many years, hence why the business was run the way it was for so long.

Edit: And yeah, I'm not going to brew up a storm just cause this employer has his ways set in stone. Just looking out for myself is enough. Otherwise I intend to keep earning however slowly and keep looking for better work.
    Last edited by Grand dad; 12-12-2016 at 09:35 PM.

Grand Dad,

I was not trying to show off all the safety gear I have in the other thread I started. I saw your thread and was trying to find out how others take care of themselves so I can learn as well. My early days of welding were in situations like where you currently work. The difference being that I was younger and did not care of myself. The employer had some gear available, I just did not use it.

Since I have a number of half masks and a few other items, use a private message and send me your address and I will see if I can send you some items that will help you out. I have some items that are still in their package so I will not send you used items.
    Millermatic 175 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Quote Originally Posted by TheBFA View Post
    Anyone can call OSHA anonymously and they would send a representative there. But they'd still probably know it was you. They can't fire you over it, but they still would know it was you.
    but they can fire the next week for any number of reasons.

I wholeheartedly believe an employee should be protected by whistle blower laws ...but the simple fact is, they will find a reason to fire you.
    AWS CWI xxxx2171
    1968 SA200

Quote Originally Posted by WelderMike
    I hate being bipolar, It's awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZTFab View Post
    Nice work!