Mice!!!
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mice!!!

Mice!!!

Name:  IMG_20161108_101817416_HDR.jpg
Views: 1181
Size:  68.2 KB

Anyone else use this stuff? I've had the little f*****rs fill up my entire air filter box, packed the area under the intake on my Powerstroke with insulation, leaves and whatever. It took me 2 hours to vacuum it out. They even got in my heater so it smelled like mouse turds and devil snot. Not anymore. I've been jamming sheets around wires and wherever in the engine compartment, throwing a bunch of sheets in the cab for 4-5 years. It works! That time of year.

Re: Mice!!!

Have you tried mouse traps

Quote Originally Posted by Bls repair View Post
    Have you tried mouse traps
    ya, right....I'd need a few cases where I live

I live in the woods. I have a 5th wheel camper that I can not keep mice out of. I have tried everything including dryer sheets nothing works but poison.

Squirrels ate the entire interior out of my new boat. I heard mothballs work until they disappear.
    Miller Syncrowave 350
    Millermatic 252/ 30A spoolgun
    Miller Bobcat 225g w/ 3545 spoolgun
    Lincoln PowerArc4000
    Lincoln 175 Mig
    Lincoln 135 Mig
    Everlast 250EX Tig
    Century ac/dc 230 amp stick
    Victor O/A
    Hypertherm 1000 plasma

Quote Originally Posted by DougAustinTX View Post
    Squirrels ate the entire interior out of my new boat. I heard mothballs work until they disappear.
    They don't work. I used them one winter in my camper. It was a good thing I still set traps and checked them every few days. In the spring I had to let the camper air out for 2 weeks before the smell of moth balls was to the point that it was tolerable to be inside it.

anyone try the flashing led lights? They work for pack rats but not sure about mice. What about the high pitched noise makers?
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Have you tried a murder bucket? You know, a 5 gal bucket - beer can with pencil size rod stabbed through it so the the can rotates - rod spanning across the top of the bucket, beer can in the middle. Peanut butter smeared all over the can (inside too). RV antifreeze 1/3 in the bottom (doesn't freeze in the winter) Mouse goes across rod - gets on the can and drops in. Gross for sure when you come back. Doesn't smell as bad as dead mice in the walls with the poison. Good for 20-30 mice. Not a good idea if there is dogs or cats that can get at it.

Quote Originally Posted by thegary View Post
    I live in the woods. I have a 5th wheel camper that I can not keep mice out of. I have tried everything including dryer sheets nothing works but poison.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudman View Post
    Have you tried a murder bucket? You know, a 5 gal bucket - beer can with pencil size rod stabbed through it so the the can rotates - rod spanning across the top of the bucket, beer can in the middle. Peanut butter smeared all over the can (inside too). RV antifreeze 1/3 in the bottom (doesn't freeze in the winter) Mouse goes across rod - gets on the can and drops in. Gross for sure when you come back. Doesn't smell as bad as dead mice in the walls with the poison. Good for 20-30 mice. Not a good idea if there is dogs or cats that can get at it.
    I do not put the poison in the camper. I put it under the camper in a chicken wire cage so large animals do not get it. It takes some time to thin out the herd but if you keep up on it it is not too bad. The first summer I went through 10lbs of poison then in the winter I went through 5 lbs. the next year I went through albs for the whole year . I have my camper in texas now so when I bring it back up I will have to start all over again. The poison I use deydrates the dead mouse very quickly.

I used to get them in my pickup during the winter. I trapped as many as I could, then pulled the wiper cowl off and epoxy-caulked some hardware cloth over the fresh air entrance (unbelievable they don't do this in the factory). I kept trapping a little while longer to get the rest out of the truck. Only problem since then has been the nest between the two banks on my engine - made with the heat/sound shield from the firewall... ..now I have to worry about wires getting chewed. I tried mothballs/peppermint oil/etc w/ no luck. Can't use poison as many pets around. Mice are a pita to say the least. Not a fan of cats, but a whole lot of them is probably the easiest solution to a mouse problem.

They're just laying stores for the winter. They used to do it to my old Ford van until I covered the air intake opening with 1/4" metal mesh (hardware cloth). One year they dropped enough acorns in the clutch housing that they jammed it up. I had to remove the transmission to clean it out. Had to wire mesh the ventilation holes on the top of that thing too.
    Thermal Arc 300GTSW

I live in the country. I had been overrun with mice and rats until I started using a combo of mouse traps baited with peanut butter and "Just One Bite" mouse/rat poison blocks. No more critters. I put them both in the engine compartment or somewhere that dogs or cats can't get them (I don't have either but just don't want one to get the stuff). Pack rats won't take baited traps, so I used moth balls to repel them (man, those moths were hard to catch....). The repellent part seemed to work as long as I kept some moth's balls in the engine compartment.

Quote Originally Posted by Denis G View Post
    They're just laying stores for the winter. They used to do it to my old Ford van until I covered the air intake opening with 1/4" metal mesh (hardware cloth). One year they dropped enough acorns in the clutch housing that they jammed it up. I had to remove the transmission to clean it out. Had to wire mesh the ventilation holes on the top of that thing too.
    Same problem with my Tacoma PU. They were getting in the fresh air intake on the cowling at the rear of the engine compartment and building nests in the squirrel cage blower fan. Like you, I put some 1/2" hail screen (hardware cloth some call it) over the intake, no more blower mice. Then they moved into the air intake tube on the engine and packed the front of the air filter! Put some hail screen on that and fixed that problem as well. Everyone suggests cats, but I don't want one.

. They even got in my heater so it smelled like mouse turds and devil snot. .
    They get into the heater / fan box from inside the truck.

keep the heater dial on vent.... that closes the door on the box so they can't get in there.
    I also put screen on the front of my airbox intake to keep them out.
    1995 powerstroke.

also,
    sliced up Irish Spring soap works good too. Your truck will smell fresh as a mountain spring.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Pool chlorine tablets... I toss a few under my deck to keep ground hogs out.

Got a mouse problem at my place in the country, and I can tell you this works. I use a small plastic Coke bottle instead.
    Run straight antifreeze year round. Not only does it kill them, it works like embalming fluid. My personal record is 11 in a two week run. Even with that many there was no smell what so ever.

We have lots of rattle snakes and coach whips.
    Coyotes and cats too.
    Also a family of barn owls living in the... wait for it... barn year round.
    Not many mice or rats.
    Kinda unnerving though when you are laying on the shop floor working on a vehicle
    and you see a 6 foot long coach whip slide by!

Quote Originally Posted by rexcormack View Post
    We have lots of rattle snakes and coach whips.
    Coyotes and cats too.
    Also a family of barn owls living in the... wait for it... barn year round.
    Not many mice or rats.
    Kinda unnerving though when you are laying on the shop floor working on a vehicle
    and you see a 6 foot long coach whip slide by!
    I bet its not as unnerving as when a big rattler slides by.

straight peppermint oil works as a repellent in closed spaces, and while strong, the smell isn't as bad as mothballs and clears out well.

Fill a bucket half full of water then lay a board from the ground to the top of the bucket.
    The mice and rats will go up the board and go for the water.
    You'll be surprised how meaty the soup will get in just a day or two.
    I didn't believe that it worked till I tried it myself a few years ago when there was a giant field behind my shop..those little bastards ate all kinds of wiring around my shop till I I set up a few community swimming pools for them.
    They'll go for the water and then they can't climb back out of the bucket

As I emptied out the hog barn a few years back, the mice moved in. I went through $1,000 worth of bait and new traps that year. The reason the Bounce sheets, Irish Spring, moth balls etc. are only moderately effective is because they only mask the odor trail, they don't repel the mice. As a female mouse runs, she "leaks" urine... which creates the odor trail a horny little male mouse looks for when he's tracking her. While the odor maskers can deter the following mice, they don't really stop a brand new mouse from breaking trail. I can say that as I have been renovating the barn into a heated shop, putting mothballs (and yes, they are hard to catch) between all the studs in the renovation has made a big difference. What has made an even bigger difference is getting rid or all the remnants of feed the pigs left behind. You need to eliminate the food source. If your camper smells like a kitchen, rest assured it will soon smell like mice. I have used the little boxes of treated timothy, the grey plastic traps with peanut butter, the murder bucket, and rotary traps all with good success. I also have 5 cats in the yard, and so far this year, I haven't seen hardly any moving in...
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

An organic biologically friendly mousetrap.....

Name:  DSCN1115.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  98.7 KB
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    An organic biologically friendly mousetrap.....

Name:  DSCN1115.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  98.7 KB
    Looks like that one is well fed

Here's what the Squirrels did under the hood of my PowerStroke, last year, hoping to "crib" for the Winter

They were Everywhere, packed into the valley, under the Turbo, I gotta go look right now and see if they're doing it again! ~hehehe
    Attached Images Attached Images  

They sure did some work in there...