Mice!!! - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mice!!!

Re: Mice!!!

Couple years ago: ,

Quote Originally Posted by BaTu View Post
    Here's what the Squirrels did under the hood of my PowerStroke, last year, hoping to "crib" for the Winter
    Did they chew on the insulation, cables, belts or something?

Carpet Snakes take care of the mouse and rat problem for me these days. Used to have a heck of a time when winter arrived, the mongrels would all move in to my roof and run up and down the cyclone rod bracing making a devil of a racket. Had to poison every year, then put up with the stink for those that didn't make it outside to die (not so bad in winter). Have not had to do it for 4 or 5 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael ray View Post
    Fill a bucket half full of water then lay a board from the ground to the top of the bucket.
    The mice and rats will go up the board and go for the water.
    You'll be surprised how meaty the soup will get in just a day or two.
    I didn't believe that it worked till I tried it myself a few years ago when there was a giant field behind my shop..those little bastards ate all kinds of wiring around my shop till I I set up a few community swimming pools for them.
    They'll go for the water and then they can't climb back out of the bucket
    My grand father did something like this when he farmed cotton. He used a barrel and filled it about 1/3 full (deep enough that they'd drown but low enough level that they couldn't get out). He'd lay a long board from the ground to the rim on the barrel so that the mice could use it as a ramp to get to the rim. Then he'd put a layer of cotton seed on top of the water. Mice and rats would climb to the top of the barrel and would want to eat the seed so they'd jump into the barrel and drown. To them the layer of seed looked like a solid surface and safe. By the next morning there would dozens of drowned rats in the barrel. Sometimes so many that the late comers would be able to climb on the dead ones to get out. So use a tall barrel and don't fill it too deep.

Another critter that can mess up things is cottontail rabbits. I left my D6M dozer on a jobsite for 3 weeks waiting to backfill a pipe job. When I fired it up... it wouldn't move and had a gazillion transmission codes. The little bastiges ate the transmission control harness. $1600 later we were dozing again, My Border Collie must have killed 50 rabbits on that job.

Name:  IMG_1165.JPG
Views: 216
Size:  54.0 KBName:  IMG_1203.JPG
Views: 220
Size:  40.0 KB

Packrats got me a couple weeks ago, and the weird thing is I haven't had range cubes for at least a month! I'm not sure how long it took them to do this, but it was under 4 days when I was out of town. I killed 2 before this pic and 3 after. Still think there are a few more around, but haven't gotten them yet.
    '82 SA 200
    Ranger 8
    HH 140EZ
    Ironman 230

Always thought pack rats were desert guys, but found out different when one decided to set up housekeeping in my shop.

Got him the first night.

My barn/shop used to be infested. Every time I moved things that had sat for more than a few weeks had mouse droppings in it.

Back in 2011 I started leaving poised baits. No more problems. I see dead critters outside every once in a while.

So far the trailers kept near the barn haven't been infested.

They did get into the F-350 chore truck that stays parked near the house. Baits between the pedals and the firewall plus some behind the seats stopped that!
    Be wary of The Numbers: Figures don't lie,. but liars can figure.
    Welders:
    2008 Lincoln 140 GMAW&FCAW
    2012 HF 165 'toy' GTAW&SMAW
    1970's Cobbled together O/A

Quote Originally Posted by In Utopia View Post
    Always thought pack rats were desert guys, but found out different when one decided to set up housekeeping in my shop.

Got him the first night.
    I noticed you tied a string to yours too, lost a couple traps before I started doing that! I got a tail the other dayName:  IMG_1235.JPG
Views: 206
Size:  32.9 KB

Little punks get into everything. I was blaming my son for some small hand tools, drill bits, and pencils going missing until I found them behind a drawer one day
    '82 SA 200
    Ranger 8
    HH 140EZ
    Ironman 230

Mice!!!

They have got the strangest shopping list I've ever seen.
    That area under my compressor had nothing but a thin layer of dust under it before he moved in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I was battling the mice, rats and pack rats I noticed that the mice and regular rats would take the bait, eat it and die. The d*mn pack rats just took it an stored it for later and never ate it!!!! Big traps with peanut butter was what caught them.

Bounce works great for mice...covers their piss trail. Rats would probably chew it up and use it for a nice fragrant nest.

Quote Originally Posted by In Utopia View Post

Got him the first night.
    That doesn't look like the packrats I have had to deal with, mine were a blue/gray color with a long fuzzy tail. But they did steal anything they could pack off. I finally found the nest in a Genset trailer and got them with the .410. and the border collie got the rest.

Pack rat for sure, and luckily it was the only one.

I used to have a mouse problem every year when the nearby fields were harvested, the mice would move right in. The best thing I found was put "Tomcat" poison out, but, as I had pets at the time i needed a safer way than just to throw it around under the house and in the attic. Here's what I made, get a 2" PVC "T", a 2" PVC cap, and about 2 feet of 2" PVC. On the run, glue in a 8" to 10" piece of PVC in each end of the run, on the other side of the T, glue in a 2"to 4" piece of PVC. Then drill a hole just large enough for a small stiff wire or a long nail to slip thru. When the cap is on, hand tight only, so that you can remove it, you want the wire, nail, to reach to the bottom of the "T" fitting. Then, buy the type of Tomcat poison that has a hole thru it from the factory and slip as many as you can over your nail/wire, then install hand tight, and place it so that gravity will allow the next cube to drop down after the mice eat the bottom cube. I buy my "Tomcat" online as I found that the locally sold supply did not have the hole in it. It works great, I just keep them out year round now. Pets can not get to the poison. I was concerned at first that the mice would leave a little poison trail that my pet would get to, but, I watched closely and no poison trail appeared. I guess the mice don't leave scraps! I even put one under the hood of my truck, seemed to work there too, no more mice signs after that.

Get a cat, one with 4WD, none of that declawed BS. Feed it well for 1-2 weeks, then start letting it outside and feed it every other day. Cat will stick around for reliable food and will kill every rodent in a half mile radius to fill the gap. If you get a real BA cat it might even go after larger pests like woodchucks. Only known 3 cats that would do that though.

I have a mother cat and two kittens outside but the problem is that my mice never go outside!