Good value vise
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good value vise

Good value vise

I have broken both my old USA vises in the past month. The ones I had were as old as I am and I was very disappointed but I will say I abuse vises really bad. I was on the hunt for a new one and almost purchased a Wilton bullet vise. Then I happened on a forged steel vise made by Yost. I ordered the largest one they make. I was just about giddy when I found a forged steel vise. For all you guys looking for a good vise at a price that won't bank rupt you you need to check these out. I should have my 7" by the end of the week.https://www.amazon.com/Yost-FSV-5-He...ds=yost+forged

Now just an FYI these are made in Tiwain not the USA like many of their vises but they are also about half the cost . If you go to the Yost site you can get more specs. I expect I will be handing this down to my kids. If you zoom in on the vise picture on amazon you can see the welds where it is welded together.http://www.yostvises.com/products/be...ench-vise.html

I will see if it is as good as the reviews and if it is I think I will order 5" for my service truck.
    Last edited by thegary; 11-17-2016 at 03:48 PM.

Re: Good value vise

Wow, looks like they have gibs to adjust the wiggle out.

The wheat fields of Kansas,in a large metal building

It may or may not be a good value, the total weight on Amazon is 22 pounds? My 4" Wilton plain base vise weights 45~50 pounds. Steel is not necessarily better than iron, the ductile iron in good vises is 60KSI. Iron also absorbs shock and vibration better. I have an idea that this vise won't live up to your expectations?
    Steve from SoCal now in Hutch

Miller Dynasty 300DX Coolmate3 Speedway Torch
    Miller XMT 450 MPa plus with D-74 MPa Plus
    Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    And a whole bunch of machines

I'm looking forward to hearing a test report!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve from SoCal View Post
    It may or may not be a good value, the total weight on Amazon is 22 pounds? My 4" Wilton plain base vise weights 45~50 pounds. Steel is not necessarily better than iron, the ductile iron in good vises is 60KSI. Iron also absorbs shock and vibration better. I have an idea that this vise won't live up to your expectations?
    I have done a bit of research and a forged vise does not need to be as heavy as an Iron vise. I agree there is less weight and for good reason. An Iron vise needs the extra thickness to be able to stand up to what it will go through. Time will tell but I can say as a person who has broken at least 1/2 dozen good quality vises that I have nothing to lose by trying it.

Here is almost the same type made by Ridgid.https://www.amazon.com/Ridgid-66997-...id+forged+vise

I did not like that the jaws are not replaceable on the Ridgid version. The Ridgid is a little heavier if you compare size to size with the Yost. The Ridgid is made in Germany.
    Last edited by thegary; 11-17-2016 at 09:59 PM.

22#? Thats a toy. It may have forged parts, but the fixed jaw sure looks like a weldment to me.

If you are breaking vises, you need an old blacksmith's post vise. They are forged steel. You will have to work very hard to break one of them. They were made to hold parts while they were being worked over with a hammer. The old post vises are actually hot working tools, but if you keep your hammer size under 10% of the vise weight it will be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by bent View Post
    22#? Thats a toy. It may have forged parts, but the fixed jaw sure looks like a weldment to me.

If you are breaking vises, you need an old blacksmith's post vise. They are forged steel. You will have to work very hard to break one of them. They were made to hold parts while they were being worked over with a hammer. The old post vises are actually hot working tools, but if you keep your hammer size under 10% of the vise weight it will be ok.
    It is forged parts that are welded together. I do not know how you could make these forged parts in one piece thus the welding. Acording to Yost it has a life time guarantee . Yost rates this vise as heavy duty . That is the same rating they give their USA made industrial Ductil iron vises That cost 3 times as much as this vise. The jaw clamping force is rated at 7800 lbs at 184 ft lbs.for the 7" model.
    Last edited by thegary; 11-18-2016 at 12:03 AM.

Looks cheesy as hell but after reading the webpage there may be some merit... at least when it breaks it should be easy to weld back up. Please report back after you've put some abuse on it.

Quote Originally Posted by forhire View Post
    Looks cheesy as hell but after reading the webpage there may be some merit... at least when it breaks it should be easy to weld back up. Please report back after you've put some abuse on it.
    I agree that it does look cheesy at first glance. The specs and the fact that Yost has been making vises since 1908 says a lot about it. The more I studied it and did research on other vises the more I warmed up to it. In a year I will know the rest of the truth.
    Last edited by thegary; 11-18-2016 at 10:22 AM.

If it is really made out of forged steel, it should be fine. Tensile strength should be at least double CI so it does not need to be nearly as heavy.
    "The reason we are here is that we are not all there"

SA 200
    Idealarc TM 300 300
    MM 200
    MM 251

30a Spoolgun
    Precision Tig 375
    Invertec V350 Pro
    SC-32 CS 12 Wire Feeder
    Oxweld/Purox O/A
    ArcAir
    Hypertherm Powermax 85
    LN25

Quote Originally Posted by norite View Post
    If it is really made out of forged steel, it should be fine. Tensile strength should be at least double CI so it does not need to be nearly as heavy.
    It is forged steel. I have had it for a week or so now. I like many features of it but I will have to give it a C rating for now until I use it more. I have to say if you clamp something in the vise at the end of the jaw it does distort the jaw. I had to clamp something on the oposit side to straighten it out again. I am disappointed in that. I did not use anything but my hand on the handle to do it so it is not like I abused it to make it distort.

I like that it opens 1 1/2times as far as a comperable cast vise. I also like the large anvil on it . I do not think I will break it but I think they have made the jaws too wide for the size of the vise. I got the 7" If everything was the same but if it had 5 1/2 or 6" jaws it would probably not distort like it does . The way it is it has a lot of offset leverage.

If you do lots of pound on your vise, get a blacksmith post vise. They are made for abuse.
    As for real vises , search for a old vase that will outlast you. Here's a few of mine.
    Attachment 1557181

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    If you do lots of pound on your vise, get a blacksmith post vise. They are made for abuse.
    As for real vises , search for a old vase that will outlast you. Here's a few of mine.
    Attachment 1557181
    Nice vises. I did not have time to ry to find an old vise at the time since I use one almost every day. I will keep my eye out for a big one similar to the one farthest to the left in your pic. I wanted to get this forged one anyway to see how good it is. In many ways I am very happy with it . I did find a few old ones on craigs list but I did not have a day to throw away to go get one. I will find one close to me sooner or later. your stands look interesting but I do not know that they would be stable enough for some of the stuff I do.

Quote Originally Posted by thegary View Post
    Nice vises. I did not have time to ry to find an old vise at the time since I use one almost every day. I will keep my eye out for a big one similar to the one farthest to the left in your pic. I wanted to get this forged one anyway to see how good it is. In many ways I am very happy with it . I did find a few old ones on craigs list but I did not have a day to throw away to go get one. I will find one close to me sooner or later. your stands look interesting but I do not know that they would be stable enough for some of the stuff I do.
    What kind of stuff do you do ?? You could bolt the vise to a heavy table too.I have a small vise like yours that is bolted to a plate so I can clamp it to my table.
    The setup with the handlebars and wheels is pretty stout . I have the upright set to one side as a counterbalance and the rim is 24'' diameter. I had some heavy stuff clamped to it and it didn't move or try to tip. The vise itself is over a 100 pounds . Not sure what the whole setup weighs but moves easily , like a two wheel hand truck.

I see they raised the price on the 7" vise since I got mine a week ago. Its about $38 more now. I think I paid $287 for mine.

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    What kind of stuff do you do ?? You could bolt the vise to a heavy table too.I have a small vise like yours that is bolted to a plate so I can clamp it to my table.
    The setup with the handlebars and wheels is pretty stout . I have the upright set to one side as a counterbalance and the rim is 24'' diameter. I had some heavy stuff clamped to it and it didn't move or try to tip. The vise itself is over a 100 pounds . Not sure what the whole setup weighs but moves easily , like a two wheel hand truck.
    Yes I have mine bolted to a heavy welding table and I even move it around some times. My last old cast vise I broke crushing a piece of 1/2 scheduel 40 pipe. It was older than I am. I am still surprised it broke. I have done lots worse things with it in the past than that. That is another thing I am a little disappointed in with this new vise , I do not think it has as good of leverage with the screw ratio as some other vises I have used. I was at a customers place last week and I had to thread an allen head bolt all the way to the head so I put it in there wilton bullet vise they just got. It was a 5 1/2 " model. The allen bolt was a 1/4 " . I tightened it by hand in the vise. When I was done threading it I took it out of the vise and found I had crushed the head . I was amazed that It it did that because I did not think I tightened it that hard at all.

the weight of the 7 inch vise is 57 pounds..the 4 inch is 22 pounds...
    Product Specifications
    Part Number FSV-7
    Number of Items 1
    Material Type Steel
    Size 7 inches
    System of Measurement Inch
    UPC 797734008487
    Color Red
    EAN 0797734008487
    Import Designation Imported
    Item Weight 57 pounds
    Overall Width 9 inches
    UNSPSC Code 27112102

Here's a real forged vise, they sure will outlive one persons live.
    Dunno about the prices in the USA, but they're tough and fully forged.
    I have 2 150mm ones, they're adjustable with one central bolt.
    Unfortunately the ones I have dont have replacable jaws.
    Name:  csm_schraubstk_mab_neu_10_7c6becd46e.jpg
Views: 924
Size:  26.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by kram390 View Post
    Here's a real forged vise, they sure will outlive one persons live.
    Dunno about the prices in the USA, but they're tough and fully forged.
    I have 2 150mm ones, they're adjustable with one central bolt.
    Unfortunately the ones I have dont have replacable jaws.
    Name:  csm_schraubstk_mab_neu_10_7c6becd46e.jpg
Views: 924
Size:  26.3 KB
    I like that design! If I found one of those I would have gotten it. In my search I did not see anything like that one. Nice find. I can see at least 3 welds in the picture on that vise also. Not that welds are bad. It also has wide jaws , I bet it will distort also if you clamped something out at one end. The Ridgid brand is made a little beefier around the sliding jaw so it might not distort. I think they need to narrow the jaws some in proportion to the rigidity of the rest of the vises .
    Last edited by thegary; 11-29-2016 at 10:41 AM.

I will see if it is as good as the reviews and if it is I think I will order 5" for my service truck.
    Considering that you're not super happy with the Yost (I have one of their U.S. made multiple position reversible combination vises that I like) you might consider a Wilton Tradesman for the work truck. The fact that the slide is sealed will help keep debris out, and you shouldn't have a problem with the jaws deforming when you clamp on something. I've bought 4 different Wilton 1760 (6" jaw, almost 70lbs) Tradesman used for anywhere from $125 to $240 locally.

The $240 one was actually NOS with the original box....the deals are out there if you keep an eye out.

Check out my website dedicated to restoring U.S. made vises: http://mivise.com

Hobart Champion Elite
    Miller Thunberbolt AC/DC
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Quote Originally Posted by Steve from SoCal View Post
    I picked up a older 4" Wilton today at a pawn shop for $19.00.

I like that design! If I found one of those I would have gotten it. In my search I did not see anything like that one. Nice find. I can see at least 3 welds in the picture on that vise also. Not that welds are bad. It also has wide jaws , I bet it will distort also if you clamped something out at one end. The Ridgid brand is made a little beefier around the sliding jaw so it might not distort. I think they need to narrow the jaws some in proportion to the rigidity of the rest of the vises .
    I see those in the woodward fab tool magazines I get in the mail. They look awesome.

I have an 8" wilton, I cant remember the model name or number but I like it a lot.

One of my neighbors had a half dozen Wilton's listed on CraigsList this week for $200 each. I picked up a 4-1/2" for $200.
    America Needs AMERICA'S Oil!!!

"Global warming is the greatest scam in history ...There is no run away climate change. The impact of humans on climate is not catastrophic. Our planet is not in peril."--John Coleman, Founder of The Weather Channel

I got a Yost 865di made in the usa 65k ductile iron. One thing that's bad about it is it uses a spring to hold the movable jaw and it makes it hard to turn the handle so remove the spring in the machined a spacer to take his place so it's easier to turn.
    Last edited by ICEcap; 01-28-2017 at 02:00 AM.

Name:  wilton 5 vise.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  40.2 KB

These Wilton vises are well made but you can probably break it if you abuse it enough. I use copper jaws for grounding parts to be welded. Normal usage for clamping and light hammering wont hurt it.