refurbish horizontal bandsaw - Wellsaw model 8M
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

refurbish horizontal bandsaw - Wellsaw model 8M

I was able to salvage one of these, for no cost. It even came with 2 spare blades. The motor on the saw was a half horsepower 3-phase 240V.

Name:  wellsaw early model 8.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  14.3 KB

I'll document the rehab here for those who might be interested. This saw replaces a very old, very cheap chinese clone that's served me for many years. I gave the smaller, cheaper saw to a buddy.

My new (used) wellsaw doesn't have the coolant tank, hoses, and pump as shown in the MFG's photo. But otherwise it's the same. It cuts straight. The vise works. But the step pulley on the saw wobbles terribly. I've ordered and received new bearings from wellsaw (next day delivery), a new V belt, and new guide bearings for the back of the saw blade.

• I've already installed an upgraded 240V single phase motor.
    • I'm going to remove the wheels, extension legs, and dinky angle iron frame someone scabbed onto the saw's legs.
    • I'm building a new rolling base from 1"x3"x11 gauge tube and swivel locking casters
    • I need to install a new switch. The saw came with a 3phase magnetic contactor switch which I don't want to figure out how to use.
    • Lastly, I might give it a fresh coat of paint, to replace the factory gray that's covered in institutional green(ugh).

I'll post some more photos soon as I get to work on the bearings in the saw gearbox.
    Benson's Mobile Welding at your worksite or place of business. Serving Dayton, Ohio and the surrounding metro areas.
    AWS Certified Welding Inspector (#XXX10731) and Certified Welding Educator (#XXX1008E)

Re: refurbish horizontal bandsaw - Wellsaw model 8M

Oh, before I forget again, I appear to have a perfectly good 1/2 horsepower, 3-phase NEMA 56 Frame electric motor, and a 3 phase magnetic starter switch. IF you want them, make me a reasonable offer and they're yours.
    Benson's Mobile Welding at your worksite or place of business. Serving Dayton, Ohio and the surrounding metro areas.
    AWS Certified Welding Inspector (#XXX10731) and Certified Welding Educator (#XXX1008E)

Nice score. I have a wellsaw model 1000 that looks very similar to the pic

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

You've already replaced it, but you know you can run a 3-phase motor on single phase with a capacitor. Up to 1 HP is no problem.

Nice find BTW!

PS. I haven't watched it but the vid below seems to go through in detail how to run a 3-ph motor on one phase.
    It's actually pretty simple. The only drawback is that it is not as strong when ats start up, but that goes for all single phase motors.
    Last edited by Pete.S.; 12-07-2016 at 03:49 PM.

Nice to have 2 saws. I try and have one set for 45's, the other 90º. Look forward to the rebuild.

Thanks, and no I didn't know you could rewire a small three phase motor for single phase operation with an added capacitor. Thanks for the video link; it was interesting.

The original 3 phase motor was only 1/2 HP, so I don't know how much power one could afford to give up by 'hot wiring' the motor to run on single phase.

The simplest thing for me to do was to buy a 1 HP 240 1ph motor, so that's what I did. I doubt the more powerful motor is necessary. But it was convienent. When I talked to the tech support folks at Wellsaw, they said it takes relatively little HP to run the saw because of how it's geared. The new motor is heavier, which seems to take away some of the feed pressure on the saw head. So I may need to play with the feed pressure or add some counterweight on the opposite side of the saw head.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudman View Post
    Nice to have 2 saws. I try and have one set for 45's, the other 90º. Look forward to the rebuild.
    I wish I had the space but the shop is only about 650-700 sq feet; so there's no room for two saws. Like a couple other regulars here at WeldingWeb, I'm moving to have all my large shop tools on casters so I can shove them out of the way quickly and easily when I don't need them.

Quote Originally Posted by A_DAB_will_do View Post
    I wish I had the space but the shop is only about 650-700 sq feet; so there's no room for two saws. Like a couple other regulars here at WeldingWeb, I'm moving to have all my large shop tools on casters so I can shove them out of the way quickly and easily when I don't need them.
    I know that feeling. I have a 600 sq foot garage that doubles as my weekend warrior shop. And my wife insists (ok, me too) that the vehicles will be in the garage for winter. So, if I can't move tools against the walls quickly and easily, I don't have them. Workbenches are on wheels along with everything else.

I'm looking forward to seeing how you build the base for this saw. I have the HF 4x6 horizontal saw, and the base that came with it is, well, lacking.
    Hobart Handler 187
    Hobart T.C. 295
    Everlast SuperCut 50P

Just a quick update. I've got the saw running again; I think like new. Here's a summary of what's been done. Pictures to follow once I figure out how to get them off my new android phone.

New motor and V-belt.
    New switch, power cord, and plug.
    New guide bearings for the blade.
    New bearings in the gearbox, along with a thorough clean out and fresh grease.
    New machine base with 4 swivel casters.

The base is nothing fancy, but it's much more stout than the angle iron frame someone scabbed onto the saw decades ago.

Needs a fresh coat of paint and I'll call it done.

A couple shots of the saw and old machine base made from angle iron.

Name:  20170108_120137(0).jpg
Views: 231
Size:  48.9 KB

Name:  20170108_120219.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  30.8 KB

Cutting the stock for the new base.

Name:  20170107_151833.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  51.2 KB

A closeup of the rebuilt gearbox and the drive pulley in operation. A still image doesn't do it justice. When I first powered up the new motor that cone pulley was flopping around because the shaft it runs on had about 1/8" of runout.
    Name:  20170107_151853.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  40.5 KB

Jump ahead to the finished machine base and saw sitting ready for the next job.
    Name:  20170108_170017.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  60.2 KB

Very nice. I'd love to have a saw like that.

Just a few shots of the base/dolly. The material is 1"x3" rectangular tubing; 1/8" wall thickness. Mitered corners. about 1/16" gaps in most joints. Basically just gapped the tubing as needed to square up the whole assembly. The clamp on the saw was not quite 45° when I cut the material

All TIG welded out. 115amps max on the pedal. No weld closeups, none of these welds were much to write home about. I cleaned up the material on the outside, but all the oil on the inner walls of the tubing made for some gray welds. welded the flat faces first, alternating corners. Then the outside corners, then finally the fillets on the inside of each corner.

Name:  20170108_120035.jpg
Size:  36.4 KB
    Name:  20170108_133238.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  49.3 KB
    Name:  20170108_135304.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  36.8 KB

Found about a dozen miscellaneous machine screws in my collection and some suitable washers. The screws are torx T25 heads; and for the life of me I can't remember where they came from. Drilled and tapped the frame with 3 holes for each caster. The saw's a little low and I might swap these casters out for larger OD ones for more height.
    Name:  20170108_153036.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  33.9 KB

The finished frame.
    Name:  20170108_163211.jpg
Size:  45.3 KB

A few random items

This is the grease that the manufacturer's engineer insisted that I use in the gear box. Nothing else would do. The gearbox contains a steel helical gear on the input shaft and a phenolic plastic helical gear on the output side. I had no idea plastic gears were common when this saw was made.

Name:  20170108_120334.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  30.5 KB

That lubriplate grease looked good for angle grinders too. So I cleaned out the gearboxes on two of my dewalt grinders. Sure enough they run much smoother and quieter with this new grease in them.

Name:  20170108_120352.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  41.4 KB

Last random item. I saw a post about cleaning welding helmet lenses. A fellow motorcyclist recommended this Plexus spray to me about 15 years ago. Supposedly, it's used to clean aircraft canopies. I used it on my bike's windscreen. Turns out it works well on grinding shields, safety glasses, and welding helmet lenses. I'm not sure if it's still available, but it smells suspiciously like Pledge furniture polish. I've noticed that Honda's bike cleaning spray smells just the same.

Anyway, for those of you looking for something to clean soft plastics with, I recommend this Plexus product. I have no idea if it's still for sale. I've had that can for a long, long time.
    Name:  20170108_120412.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  32.4 KB

Nice job - should last a long long time. About the Plexus - I wonder if its rainX? I've heard people use it for airplane windscreens???? I'll give it a try on my AD helmet.

Nice job - that saw will likely run for a very long time.

A while back I found out that 3 phase motors also run on static converters like this one: http://www.grizzly.com/products/Stat...-to-7-HP/G5843

Could be helpful at some point?
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Nice job on the resto!
    It's great to see the old gear kept running.
    I scored an old Kalamazoo horizontal saw a few years ago. Still runs well although I should show her some love like you did.

DB

Interesting and neat design. Pretty neat saw. Glad it will be back in action.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt