Cutting times, which saw is really most efficient?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cutting times, which saw is really most efficient?

I've seen a lot of threads on cutting speed and and how efficient they can do it and there's a lot of different answers. If I guys wanna play along and post what kind of cutting machine u have and how much horse power and fpm ur cutting speed is and down feed pressure. I think a standard piece of metal to use is 2" 1/4" angle iron. Let's see straightness of cut also. Thanks if u got time to take this test with ur saw!

Re: Cutting times, which saw is really most efficient?

Grease pencil
    Lock work in bench vise
    Sawzall with bimetal blade
    Too much time
    Cut not straight

Works well enough for my [stuff].
    Be wary of The Numbers: Figures don't lie,. but liars can figure.
    Welders:
    2008 Lincoln 140 GMAW&FCAW
    2012 HF 165 'toy' GTAW&SMAW
    1970's Cobbled together O/A

That's about what I used to do but I don't think it will win becuase of clean up and most deffently not straight. I'm out of 1/4 2" angle right now so no times from me yet

i cut 2x2x1/4" angle pretty often on my jet horizontal bandsaw. i stack 3 or 4 twenty foot lengths on my home made rollers and cut away. the cuts are always square but have never timed cut duration. right now i'm using the saw to cut 3/4x3/4" angle.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

The wheat fields of Kansas,in a large metal building

DoAll C-67 cuts railroad track in under a minute, 1/4 angle 5 seconds. That is with a 3-5 vari-tooth blade at 100FPM, down feed? DoAll has a dial with 0-10 for down feed, on rail it is around 3~4 on lighter material up to about 7 or 8. The motor is 7.5HP but, that drives a hydraulic pump as well as the blade.
    Steve from SoCal now in Hutch

Miller Dynasty 300DX Coolmate3 Speedway Torch
    Miller XMT 450 MPa plus with D-74 MPa Plus
    Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    And a whole bunch of machines

Quote Originally Posted by docwelder View Post
    i cut 2x2x1/4" angle pretty often on my jet horizontal bandsaw. i stack 3 or 4 twenty foot lengths on my home made rollers and cut away. the cuts are always square but have never timed cut duration. right now i'm using the saw to cut 3/4x3/4" angle.
    That's why band saw is most efficient becuase u can stack stuff but I'm talking mainly single cuts. You should post ur bed roller of the thread that's about rollers. I'm working on mine now

Quote Originally Posted by Steve from SoCal View Post
    DoAll C-67 cuts railroad track in under a minute, 1/4 angle 5 seconds. That is with a 3-5 vari-tooth blade at 100FPM, down feed? DoAll has a dial with 0-10 for down feed, on rail it is around 3~4 on lighter material up to about 7 or 8. The motor is 7.5HP but, that drives a hydraulic pump as well as the blade.
    Sounds like a beast u should post a pic.

Here's a beast that was at FABTECH this year. I believe it was $100,000.00 plus and the blades were $1,000.00 each

BD1

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post

Here's a beast that was at FABTECH this year. I believe it was $100,000.00 plus and the blades were $1,000.00 each

Cosen 'ain't no tourist' - check out their 'product line' . . .

http://www.cosen.com/

Opus

Cut this 2" pipe in 90 sec with fine blade with about 9 tpi 240 tooth and has stainless grind, then with the more course blade about 7 tpi 180 Tooth cut through in 50 sec. Both at a slow 78 fpm cutting speed. I'd though the blade that I put a stainless grind on cut worse after but if it last a lot longer that's ok. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  51.5 KBthis is using 3/4 hp. Any 2" cutting times?

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  34.0 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  32.9 KB

motolife313

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    Cut this 2" pipe in 90 sec with fine blade with about 9 tpi 240 tooth . . .
    Where's the fluid?

Opus

fluid was used. Water soluble

I've seen a lot of threads on cutting speed and and how efficient they can do it and there's a lot of different answers. If I guys wanna play along and post what kind of cutting machine u have and how much horse power and fpm ur cutting speed is and down feed pressure. I think a standard piece of metal to use is 2" 1/4" angle iron. Let's see straightness of cut also. Thanks if u got time to take this test with ur saw!
    even a cheap 14" abrasive saw if you push down then ease up every few seconds will cut 2" angle in about 10-20 seconds
    they sell portable circular saw that also cut 1/4 by 4 flat steel in about 20 seconds or about a foot a minute
    more importantly price per cut should be under $1., some of those big bandsaws take blades that are very expensive and when price per cut can easily get over $1 per cut. usually big high hp abrasive saws are the cheapest per cut but many do not like the noise and dust

If u have a chop saw can u get a time on it on 1/4" 2" angle?10 sec sounds to good to be true. And I'm not just talking cut I'm taking and the finished part here, de deberd and ready to weld. U would spend a lot of time preping after chop saw and cut won't be that straight so I don't think it will win. Not to mention taking a small part to a quench bucket first and sparks and huge clean up. Not as efficient in my eyes but the cut itself could be faster.

If u have a chop saw can u get a time on it on 1/4" 2" angle?10 sec sounds to good to be true. And I'm not just talking cut I'm taking and the finished part here, de deberd and ready to weld. U would spend a lot of time preping after chop saw and cut won't be that straight so I don't think it will win. Not to mention taking a small part to a quench bucket first and sparks and huge clean up. Not as efficient in my eyes but the cut itself could be faster.
    only takes me about 10 seconds to cut 2x2 angle with 120 volt abrasive saw, i do not have to debur if welding. if edge not welded then yes 10 seconds to debur. part not that hot. wearing gloves i never use water to cool part off. sure you got noise and dust from abrasive saw. but cost of abrasive wheel is cheap per cut
    i have seen many 220 volt abrasive saws with 5hp motor on the floor with 6 foot long handle, they will cut 2x2 angle in about 5 seconds or less. always spend more time getting into position than the actual cutting time.
    if costing you more than $1 per cut in tooling cost you are wasting money for nothing. many a machinist will spend more money cutting using a quieter bandsaw. basically they do not care about total cost per cut only the noise

I don't know if efficiency is the right question.
    Given only one material, with only certain requirements, you can make any one saw standout.

There are too many variables to consider. Thus the requirement for more than one saw that may be uniquely suited for one process.

Bundling in a bandsaw, doing other things while it cuts would be more efficient than standing at a saw making single cuts.

Cutting hardened materials in an abrasive saw would be more efficient than trying it on a bandsaw, or coldsaw, generally speaking. A friction bandsaw may be better suited for other processes.

Using a wood cutting compound miter saw would be more efficient cutting certain aluminum profiles than another method, etc.
    Miller Dynasty 350
    Miller CP300
    Miller CP200
    Lincoln Idealarc 250/250
    Smith torch
    Lagun FTV-2
    Kent 13x40 TRL lathe
    Bunch of other metal cutting tools

cost per cut to me most important
    $10,000 saw with $100. blade
    versus $300. saw 240volt 5hp with $10. wheel. abrasive saw on floor with enough hp you can put full operator weight on it throwing sparks 20 feet or put plywood behind to stop spark travel. big hugh difference in 120 volt and 240 volt abrasive saw
    too often machinist picks the $10,000 saw and $100 blades cause of noise level...... as he is not paying for it

When I was machining, almost all material was cut on an old Dake bandsaw. Then they added a Hydmech automated saw. At the start of a project, go through cut lists, find as many pieces of same size material, program saw, hit start walk away and let it do it's thing. Meanwhile go back to Dake, and cut the small qtys or single pieces. We used to cut multiple full bars of A2 and D2 3" or so. A heck of a lot more efficient letting the automated saw cut for a few hours unattended, until it started pushing all the cut parts on the floor.

Used an abrasive saw to cut Thompson shaft etc.
    Miller Dynasty 350
    Miller CP300
    Miller CP200
    Lincoln Idealarc 250/250
    Smith torch
    Lagun FTV-2
    Kent 13x40 TRL lathe

Flat lands of Colorado, where the wind blows

I think that a saw that is "semi automatic", in that one can set it up, start the cut, and have it cut by it self and shut off when it is done,

most band saws on stands will do this, the speed is not as important that when it is working your free to do some thing else, instead of watching it cut,

the speed of the cut is not important as the time one spends doing the cut, (but I do appreciate the band saw over a power hack saw).

yes there are times all your doing is waiting on the saw, but with some good planing usually one can be laying out some thing or tacking/welding something or setting something else up,

that is my two cents,

Quote Originally Posted by Teggy1 View Post
    I don't know if efficiency is the right question.
    Given only one material, with only certain requirements, you can make any one saw standout.

There are too many variables to consider. Thus the requirement for more than one saw that may be uniquely suited for one process.

Bundling in a bandsaw, doing other things while it cuts would be more efficient than standing at a saw making single cuts.

Cutting hardened materials in an abrasive saw would be more efficient than trying it on a bandsaw, or coldsaw, generally speaking. A friction bandsaw may be better suited for other processes.

Using a wood cutting compound miter saw would be more efficient cutting certain aluminum profiles than another method, etc.
    A lot a fabricators are only cutting 1 piece of "steel" at a time. What saw stands out then for being most efficient at 1 cut then? Like tom said. A big band saw would be epensive per cut even tho it cuts fast. We're talking a big bandsaw here tho to cost 1$ per cut
    Last edited by motolife313; 12-30-2016 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerboy View Post
    I think that a saw that is "semi automatic", in that one can set it up, start the cut, and have it cut by it self and shut off when it is done,

most band saws on stands will do this, the speed is not as important that when it is working your free to do some thing else, instead of watching it cut,

the speed of the cut is not important as the time one spends doing the cut, (but I do appreciate the band saw over a power hack saw).

yes there are times all your doing is waiting on the saw, but with some good planing usually one can be laying out some thing or tacking/welding something or setting something else up,

that is my two cents,
    Nope, the Hydmech "A" is automatic. Program length, Qty. required, up to 5 or so material lengths (on that particular saw) set head height, downfeed rate, push start and walk away. Automatic hydraulic head lift, unclamp, material advance, clamp, cut, repeat.
    Name:  Screenshot_20161230-140105.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  21.0 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_20161230-140118.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  21.1 KB

Pics taken from web.
    Miller Dynasty 350
    Miller CP300
    Miller CP200
    Lincoln Idealarc 250/250
    Smith torch
    Lagun FTV-2
    Kent 13x40 TRL lathe

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerboy View Post

that is my two cents,
    i myself find doing other things while the saw cuts impractical. even when i stack and cut 4 lengths of 2x2" in my horizontal saw how much laying out or tacking can i do in the few minutes before i have to walk back to the other side of the shop? my saw is the heart of my tiny fabrication empire. if i got distracted while the blade stuck and damaged the motor or the coolant flooded the shop the few minutes saved wouldn't be worth it. i spend that cutting time stacking the parts and checking dimensions at the saw. imvho of course.
    Last edited by docwelder; 12-30-2016 at 04:42 PM.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

A lot a fabricators are only cutting 1 piece of "steel" at a time. What saw stands out then for being most efficient at 1 cut then? Like tom said. A big band saw would be epensive per cut even tho it cuts fast. We're talking a big bandsaw here tho to cost 1$ per cut
    I understand what your asking. The point is, given the narrow set of parameters requested isn't real world or really relevant. If you were only going to cut 1 piece of only one given material of only one shape, then it becomes more relevant, is that real world though?

I cut a 2" thick plate from 5x5 to 4x5 a while ago. I have nothing more efficient than a torch on a home built guide track (I'm a garage shop guy) . It wouldn't have faired well had it been stainless though. Fab is more than cutting one size stock or material.

Generally, I would say a bandsaw would be the "best all around" cutting tool, only due to its diversity(not speed). I could jack the sfpm up and rip through something fairly fast, but blade life would suck.
    You could also ask how many cuts at that rate can you get, which would be more practical. Cost of replacement blades or consumables etc.

Speed really is irrelevant, unless in a production setting(which is not in the scope of the question), and is not synonymous with efficient, is my point.
    Miller Dynasty 350
    Miller CP300
    Miller CP200
    Lincoln Idealarc 250/250
    Smith torch
    Lagun FTV-2
    Kent 13x40 TRL lathe

I upgraded from my HF 4x6 to a ELLIS 1600. I never checked the time for any cutting or really care. With a horizontal band saw you load it up turn on and walk away to do other things. Sometimes single piece cuts are so fast you don't have time to walk away. Granted a floor model band saw takes up room so there are other options. I know , I bought many of those other available options for cutting.
    However I really like the MILWAUKEE metal cutting circular saw.