Miller Remote Question
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Miller Remote Question

I acquired an 84' Miller SCP-200 welder with a remote plug for the Stabilizer control. The Rheostat for the stabilizer is a 150W 25ohm rheostat. However, Im not finding a remote on any miller sites that suggest which remote will work for my machine. The RHC-3 remote is a 150w 15ohm rheostat. The RHCS-3 remote is a 150w 1250ohm remote which I thought the "S" was designated for "Stabilizer" yet it has a small 5-pin round connector and not the larger 3 prong plug like my unit has for a connection. Does anyone know which remote to use for this machine?

Re: Miller Remote Question

Print a copy of the owners manual from Millerwelds website, or call them at 920-734-9821

The RFC-23GD25A would work for your SCP-200 but you'd have to replace its 4-prong plug with the required 3-prong.

A little hard to come by so you might have to configure one from the more popular RFC-23A.
    Last edited by duaneb55; 12-22-2016 at 11:47 AM.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

4 out of the 5 voices in my head say "Go for it".

Double check your information.

I just looked and show the SCP-200 rheostat as a 35ohm not 25 which would make the RFC-23WRB a direct plug-in remote for the machine and not a modified -23GD25A as stated above.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

4 out of the 5 voices in my head say "Go for it".

Post a pic of it. If it has the (S) designation that means it was manufactured to a specific specification for a customer. Very common in stuff miller built for the military. I would like to see inside of that machine and see how the five pin connector is hooked up. The five pin was standard for remote operation on many machines up until the late 80s, when they went to the 14 pin connector they use now. The machine you have was not ever offered with a five pin remote as original equipment on production machines to the best of my knowledge.

Great info Duane. I called miller and spoke with Steve told him the machine is Serial #R386767 and he said this was a 60's machine. I thought it was mid Eighties myself. He couldn't find any accessories in the Hand Held remotes like I was hoping but he did honk out the RFC-23 which I thought was weird but now that I think about it that would be the perfect way to stabilize the arc while welding Mig. So like You said in your last post I would consider the footpedal that you mentioned. Thanks for the info Duane.

Thanks 7A749, From the info I've been able to acumulate on vintage popular science mag pages I found a small motor kit that included an Ohmite 0.48w 1250ohm rheostat for a small dc motor control. This would tell me that a 150w 1250ohm rheostat like the RHCS-3 would likewise control a constant voltage circuit approximately about 1/3hp dc(5amps) motor and the 5-pins would be designated for 2 forward-reverse and 2-increase;decrease and 1-wiper;common. So this Rheostat is for a mig machine somewhere on this planet between the late 70's and early 80's.

I've not seen one with a five pin remote. Can you post some pics?

I ordered it on E-bay. The miller instruction parts manual shows that it comes with a 5-pin. It doesn't show in the complete picture but In the Miller pdf.website It has a corresponding number (1) count in the bracket where the RHCS-3 remote is selected and the 5-pin connector is associated with it. I haven't seen a 300 amp constant current machine that loads as high as 1250 ohms on a remote control since the voltage drops out when the weld is struck, but on 300 amp constant voltage machines the voltage is maintained throughout the circuit, much like a braking circuit on a DC motor control where the excess heat rolls off into a braking resistor when the motor is reversed. This obviously won't work on my old SCP-200C but I can possibly use it to power control the speed of a 24v reversible DC geared motor to drive the main power handle utilizing the constant voltage coming from the main weld lugs. Once I go over the 24v limit into 36v or 48v I can trim the voltage back with the RHCS-3 rheostat to slow the geared motor down...and it would have the forward and reverse functions as well.

O.K. the RHCS-3 remote came in today and it does have a 5-pin connector. After reviewing much info It turns out the RHCS-3 was an accessory for the Synchrowave 300. The Synchrowave had the optional Pulser which I believe the extra 2 pins were added for. The "S" was possibly the designation for "Synchrowave". I'll do some experimenting with it and see which machine I can utilize it on. Also later model A/Name:  DSC_1467.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  47.1 KBBP/300 Goldstars had pulser options too.