First Project - Heavily modified Harbor Freight Blast Cabinet
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

First Project - Heavily modified Harbor Freight Blast Cabinet

Hi All,

Been lurking here for quite some time. Great learning - I check the forums every day.
    I've taken welding classes (SMAW and GMAW) at the local community college but didn't
    get certified.

Attached are pictures of my heavily modified Harbor Freight Blast Cabinet. I use it with a home built pressure assist blast pot. Some pictures of my crappy welds. Welded with a combination of flux core and gas.

Modifications include: Clamshell type opening, new stand, wheels, better dust suction and lighting.

Thanks for looking and commenting.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

First Project - Heavily modified Harbor Freight Blast Cabinet - part 2

More pictures - Interior screen frame in first two pictures along with ABS suction pipe.
    Dual grate - upper for smaller parts, lower for larger parts - made from recycled gate. Slot for pressure assist blaster in last picture.

First Project - Heavily modified Harbor Freight Blast Cabinet - part 3

More picture of pressure assist blaster feed, hinge attachment and welds. Interior frame for hood is angle iron as is the stand - 1-1/2". The paint scheme is experimental - first time painting with a gun. Rustoleum primer and paint.

First Project - Heavily modified Harbor Freight Blast Cabinet - part 4

Last post. Detail on mobility wheels, shown in the retracted position. Connection to blast pot and hinges.

Forgot to mention - interior lighting is LED floodlights and the power connection includes outlet for dust collection.

Re: First Project - Heavily modified Harbor Freight Blast Cabinet - part 3

I've never seen one up close but the angle iron can't do anything but make for a better cabinet.

What size compressor are you using?

Re: First Project - Heavily modified Harbor Freight Blast Cabinet - part 3

I'm using a 5hp single stage (120 psi max, 12 cfm, 60 gallon) vertical compressor. I've heard that my setup will work well with as small as 2 hp. When I blast, the compressor is on continuously. A bigger tank would be a nice addition.

Re: First Project - Heavily modified Harbor Freight Blast Cabinet

Thanks to whoever managed to combine all his threads into one.

Nice job. I'll have to look over the whole thing later ( now that most of the picts are all together) and think about what ones might be useful on the small blast cabinet I picked up a few years back.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Thanks indeed! How was that done out of curiosity? I had to divide into 4 parts due to the 5 picture limit.

One of the Mods probably did that for you.

When you get done with the most picts you can post in one thread, simply post that one and hit "reply" and you can then post another 5 picts in that reply and so on. You need to use at least 5 characters in the text to be able to post, so most will do a quick break down of the picts, or if they are self explanitory, simply post 5 periods (.....) or something minor like that. This way by replying to your own thread, all the picts stay together. Lots of times if there are a lot of picts the OP will note this up front and ask that people not reply for 10 minutes or so so that they can post up all the picts 1st and keep the project together. It helps to type everything up in say work 1st, then copy paste the text and just upload the photos to save time. I know it takes me forever to type this stuff out.

You can also link picts from other hosting sites as well. Not really sure how all that works. One down side to doing this is often the picts become unavailable if too many people open them, or after a while the OP pulls them down. You'll find any number of really good old threads missing picts unfortunately for this reason. It's nice to upload them here so they are always with the thread in the future.

Some people also combine picts with an editor and then post up the composites. Not a bad idea with small detailed picts that show small parts of projects.

Since you are getting ripped in the other thread I'll comment again on how nice a lot of this is. I especially like the dust seperator. I'll have to do a bit of research on that. I've got a 1/2 dozen old shop vacs laying around as well as a couple old 55 gal drums I could use. The shop vac filters simply fill up to fast to use on their own. I may also look into seeing if I can't hook up my blast pot to the unit I have. Never really liked the siphon guns.

Where did you get the parts like the pedal and all?

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Thanks for the positive comments. The piano hinge, clamshell latches and screen (40x40) are McMaster Carr. The pedal, regulator and seperator and fittings are all ebay finds.