Traffic Control
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Traffic Control

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Traffic Control

Mostly just for humor. This was circulated at work, mostly as a don't do this thing.

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Re: Traffic Control

Yep, seen that at work myself. Hard to believe they would act like that isn't it?

Tim

this is pathetic, trafficcontrol should never be subbed out, never. i realize state workers/caltrans, are to lazy/spoiled to work, but the roads trafic control should never be left to a company that is barely qualified to thread in fillips screws for a sattelite dish on a side of a apartment complex. absolutleuy no biz, directing traffic w/ human lives at stake. id like ta seen that fat faced smartass dragged out the passenger window by the collar , and planted in the snow, and then ask him if he'd like to rephrase his reponse. this is complets bs. it ought to be the chain gang out there waving flags a mile ahead, and the rest of the convicts on ladders fixing this to work off there debt to society, keeping the taxpayers $ to a min
    Last edited by 123weld; 12-29-2016 at 04:31 AM.

I had something similar.Snowed two days earlier roads were plowed,wind picked blowing snow a cross intersection and freezing.Called the township to salt,was told it was a state Rod call the state .After six cars slid through intersection and into field, called police.When he got there he parked in driveway next to the field,was openlng door when car slid by almost hitting him.Salt showed up ten minutes later.This was farm country so not a lot of traffic.

Union workers, what do you expect?
    America Needs AMERICA'S Oil!!!

"Global warming is the greatest scam in history ...There is no run away climate change. The impact of humans on climate is not catastrophic. Our planet is not in peril."--John Coleman, Founder of The Weather Channel

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Union workers, what do you expect?
    Is Comcast organized? I'm almost positive that aren't here locally. Wonder if they could have put their hooks on, climbed the pole and left their trucks in a drive way?

Oh and I'm in agreement, drivers traveling to fast, blind hill. Just a bad situation all around.
    Last edited by hillbillyfab; 12-29-2016 at 09:55 PM.

Lots of idiots in that video, the first being the guy running the camera. Then there is the gal not dressed for the weather, the folks driving to fast, the idiot blocking the road, the real stupid guy in the black truck who looks to me like he gave it more fuel while in the last yard, and somebody who thinks he is going to go up in a truck bucket when cars are crashing all around him. Pretty typical actually.

The youtuber posted these thoughts in the subheading/ comment section:-
    ~~~
    Published on Dec 13, 2016
    Filmed - 12/13/16

UPDATE PLEASE READ: I wanted to clear up many questions and concerns people have had. The cops were called immediately after the first slide off. I called them personally myself and they were called again after the collision. They arrived around 30-40 minutes after the collision.

After the first Comcast truck appeared and the first slide off happened, we went to the top of the hill and slowed down traffic as much as we could.

The first Comcast truck then left the scene. You can see me at the top of the hill when he passes on the left of me. I retrieved some yard signs to act as warnings and was at the top of the hill when the second truck arrived. I then had the conversation with the second Comcast worker. The individuals that slid off were asking what he said and I went down to tell them. This is when the second truck pulled into the same location placing four cones down. Moments later the accident happened.

My wife was in the front yard taking coffee and hot chocolate orders for the people stuck from the slide offs. After she was almost hit, I was obviously more agitated. Then is when I talked to the worker again and then one of the drivers that slid off moved the yard signs to block the road and redirect traffic around a community.

Just to review:
    - I did call the police
    - I did help slow down traffic
    - Some drivers were going too fast for conditions
    - The truck that hit the car was going way too fast and ran off after the accident
    - I did not film this to try and get anyone fired
    - I did not upload this to try and make it go viral
    - I contacted Comcast about the situation before uploading the video.
    - I let Comcast know I had additional footage
    - UPDATED: Comcast has contacted me to apologize today 12/15/16
    - Threats have been turned over to the police and will continue to be

There is much more video that shows all of what I explained that is not in this short 3 min piece. I was concerned for everyone's safety including the workers. Everyone needs to realize that this took place in about an hour time span. You are seeing a small window of it. To call for the heads of the workers, drivers, or us documenting it is just wrong. Please stay safe out there... SLOW DOWN... and have a Merry Christmas.
    City of L.A. Structural; Manual & Semi-Automatic;
    "Surely there is a mine for silver, and a place where gold is refined. Iron is taken from the earth, and copper is smelted from ore."
    Job 28:1,2

Lincoln, Miller, Victor & ISV Bible

Danny

to be honest, comcast did nothing wrong, the a$$holes driving too fast on an icy road caused all the issues...what if it was a school bus stopped to let kids off or anything else, you cant stop from going too fast...and the jerkoff recording the whole thing..well call the police if you think something isnt right..duh........

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    to be honest, comcast did nothing wrong, the a$$holes driving too fast on an icy road caused all the issues...what if it was a school bus stopped to let kids off or anything else, you cant stop from going too fast...and the jerkoff recording the whole thing..well call the police if you think something isnt right..duh........
    X2.

Try working a wreck on the Interstate. Once Fire/Rescue are done and leave so does law enforcement/traffic control and you're left on your own.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

4 out of the 5 voices in my head say "Go for it".

I agree in part with you ,the first couple times their fault for going to fast.After several close calls I would leave for my own protection and not come back till safe.

Stupidity on their part. They should have at the least increased the distance between those cones , somebody should have called the police on them , and township to get snow removal guys out.

In Illinois IDOT will provide all traffic control on interstate crashes if requested by the state police. We were called out for major crashes and came out with all necessary signs, arrowboards, cones, crash attenuators and message boards as needed. We will stay until the roadway is open. If only for cargo removal the wrecker service is required to hire or provide traffic control to MUTCD standards just like IDOT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve

1990 Miller Dialarc 250
    1993 Miller Maxstar 140 STR
    2015 Lincoln MP210
    1966 Lincoln SA200 Redface

I'm in the camp that all those vehicles were driving too fast for the conditions.

Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

I'm sure they were.

Steve

1990 Miller Dialarc 250
    2015 Lincoln MP210

Name:  f10.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  67.3 KBthis is off the federal dot websight,,so comcast could have put up more cones and it wouldnt have made any difference, those speeding cars will still crash..

Traffic Cone Placement

S/SP operators must be experts in setting up short-term traffic control to make incident scenes safer. Traffic cones serve as safety devices as well as effective traffic control devices.
    Traffic Cone Placement for Lane-Blocking Incidents

Carry at least 16 cones on your vehicle.
    Set out traffic cones in a taper to guide approaching traffic into available lanes to safely pass the incident.
    Start deploying cones at the rear of your vehicle and work your way upstream.
    Reinforce and straighten traffic cone lines and tapers after their initial placement to increase effectiveness and maximize visibility of the cones.
    Remember to always face traffic while placing or removing cones.
    Space cones equally at least 20 feet apart.
    Use 12 cones for the lane closure taper, which should be approximately 250 feet, and four cones along the activity area to quickly make the scene safer.
    Place cones around response vehicles and place at least one cone downstream past the incident to allow a parking spot for the ambulance or EMS vehicle.
    Use striping marks as a distance reference to help with cone placement. Roadway striping on freeways typically has a 10 foot painted stripe and a 30 foot gap.
    Increase the number of cones and the distance between cones as the speed of approaching traffic increases. This gives motorists more time to react, slow down, and merge.
    Delineate traffic tapers with clean, reflectorized cones.
    Use only reflectorized cones when working at night.
    Borrow additional cones from other responding units or request some from another S/SP unit through dispatch if needed.
    Improve traffic flow by moving the transition taper further upstream from the activity area as additional traffic controls are put in place.

Diagram showing the appropriate placement of vehicles and equipment at the site of an incident.
    Figure 10. Emergency Temporary Traffic Control Example.
    Positive Traffic Control

Obviously speed too fast for conditions but Comcast blocking a lane ahead of hill crest…limited site distance for motorists.

Sometimes you need to use common sense. If road conditions were already marginal (ice) and topography (hill crest) make the work zone more hazardous than common, the above traffic control standard is not applicable. In the case of icy pavement, normal work that would require a lane closure or restriction should be postponed unless it's a true emergency. If the work can't be postponed, a much more elaborate traffic control plan with advanced signs and flagmen is required. 16 cones are not adequate in this work zone under these conditions at all

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Steve

1990 Miller Dialarc 250
    2015 Lincoln MP210

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    Sometimes you need to use common sense. If road conditions were already marginal (ice) and topography (hill crest) make the work zone more hazardous than common, the above traffic control standard is not applicable. In the case of icy pavement, normal work that would require a lane closure or restriction should be postponed unless it's a true emergency. If the work can't be postponed, a much more elaborate traffic control plan with advanced signs and flagmen is required. 16 cones are not adequate in this work zone under these conditions at all
    There is some truth to that. Given the conditions, around here, a call to the police would do wonders. There'd be a car with flashing lights and some flares put out by the crest of the hill, at least until the accidents are sorted out, and the Comcast guys would probably be ticketed for creating a hazard (as well as possibly for not having their ducks all in a row with regards to a lane closure), and would also almost certainly be sent away.

In my neck of the woods, a pair of flagmen are absolutely required for something like this, as well as signage posted several hundred yards out. You're not simply closing one lane of traffic. You're forcing traffic into the opposing lane on an arterial road.

Their 4 cones might be appropriate on a side road, but even then the cones should be spaced about twice as far as that lazy *** walked them out.

The location of the truck itself however seems fine to me (assuming the traffic control issues are dealt with). The Comcast guy is absolutely correct in using his truck as a barrier for his own safety.

All that being said, posted speed limits are not a guarantee that a driver can drive at that speed. It is a driver's responsibility to limit themselves to a safe speed for the current road conditions, and clearly, many of those drivers did not do that. I'm not sure whether or not the pickup truck driver was doing less than 40 MPH, but he was going way too fast, regardless.

Warning signs,on the other side of the hill would have helped greatly.

I did get a laugh from the lady running around in pajama pants!! I'm with the driving too fast crowd.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

The driving too fast and the crashing was the outcome but the root cause was the traffic hazard. A little bit of foresight on the utility workers and placing a men working sign on the other side of the hill certainly would've helped.

I've been around long enough that I wouldn't put myself in that position. I would have made sure that the traffic knew there was a road hazard ahead.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Everlast Powertig 250 EX, with #17 Air cooled and #18 Water cooled torch's
    No Water Cooler Yet
    Lincoln 180C Mig
    Old Sears 250 AMP Buzz Box
    Hobart AirForce 40i Plasma Cutter
    Oxy Acetylene Setup

Quote Originally Posted by Just for fun View Post
    The driving too fast and the crashing was the outcome but the root cause was the traffic hazard...
    The way I see it, the traffic hazard may have been the reason that the other cars skidded off the road, but the pickup that rear ended the sedan would have done so, whether or not the traffic hazard was there.

The fact is that the school buses were traveling at a safe and reasonable speed, and the sedan was following (and pacing) them at a safe distance. None of them had to slow down to avoid the Comcast truck, so when the pickup came flying over the crest of the hill, the sedan was doomed to be rear ended, whether or not the Comcast truck was there. And you notice how the sedan had no trouble at all coming to a stop IN the road AFTER being rear ended (where the physics of that collision would have the sedan get thrust forward violently), while the pickup went on to hit a tree and cross several lawns.

I just watched the video. Instead of mouthing the Comcast employees, which by the way used poor judgement, the person should have used the phone he was shooting video with to call the cops. The police would have either assisted Comcast or run them off the road until pavement conditions improved. As for the old Chevy pickup, if I had to guess the braking system was marginal at best. It appears he jumped a ditch and crossed 2 yards before stopping.

Steve

1990 Miller Dialarc 250
    2015 Lincoln MP210

Comcast recently ran my cable wire through my damn living room window....can't wait to see how bad the phark up a traffic control device

Do yall see the pajama day scene in there??? There's your problem