Traffic Control - Page 3
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Traffic Control

Re: Traffic Control

Yes the driver in the old truck was an idiot not paying attention

It's cable freaking television. To hell with it, wait till the spring thaw. No way I'd go up in a bucket in a location like that under those conditions.

I hope they didn't get fired. Crappy day for all involved.
    "You can't out puke a buzzard"

Last fall I was loading a machine on a trailer on my road. I was 150 yards from a sharp corner where vehicles have to slow to 20 MPH to negotiate the corner. In other words, after rounding a sharp curve at 20 MPH, you have 150 yards to avoid speeding up. Speed limit is 35 MPH. I had 6 safety triangles spaced evenly to where the first could be seen before making the corner. Some idiot ran over one of the triangles, smashing it. A low traffic road, above me is 14 miles of wilderness, one would think loading would be low stress. Many drivers are terminally stupid, with no concern for human life. It can be terrifying loading.

Willie
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Application for drivers licenses don't have a place to enter I Q.

Quote Originally Posted by Bls repair View Post
    Application for drivers licenses don't have a place to enter I Q.
    IQ has no relation to behaving sensibly!

And I'll pit NY's aggressive-uncaring-stupidity against anyone else's state's idea of Really Bad Driving!
    Last edited by mike837go; 01-04-2017 at 12:17 PM.
    Be wary of The Numbers: Figures don't lie,. but liars can figure.
    Welders:
    2008 Lincoln 140 GMAW&FCAW
    2012 HF 165 'toy' GTAW&SMAW
    1970's Cobbled together O/A

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    Earning a living on the road blocking traffic is way too stressful for me. On the few times I've had to do it it is genuinely terrifying! Even a low traffic, supposedly low speed road, unloading a tractor from a trailer. I've experienced it many times. I believe some drivers speed up! It occurs to me it's the alpha drivers in very expensive vehicles who are the worst.

When I'm driving down a road on a tractor, some drivers approaching from behind definitely speed up! I believe it's a game to see how close they can get to me at 70 MPH! All the flashing lights, and slow moving vehicle signs are useless. I have discovered a trick. A branch with some waving in the wind leaves sticking out an extra foot to the left side of the tractor works well! For reasons I can't explain, drivers will steer a wide birth, or slow down before passing. I drive in the right hand lane as I would in a car until an approaching driver slows to my speed, then move to the break down lane. Too many drivers have no concern for human life, not theirs, those impeding traffic, or oncoming drivers.

In the video it is obvious the road is very slippery. Where I live this would cause Comcast, and or police to use extra measures to slow drivers. In what world would several cars off the road, a storm, and utility workers restoring service not be sufficient to slow drivers down? Is there a state where ALL drivers are mentally handicapped?

Willie
    Here, in OK, agricultural equipment has the right-of-way during daylight hours. I could care less about how much road I take up, or how slow I'm traveling.

I pull a 14ft swather 2 1/2 miles on state highway to get to my other hay meadow. I keep the tractor on the road, and the swather just off the road enough to allow oncoming traffic to pass without clipping the swather. On bridges (this is a 2 lane road) I take the entire road, and don't care who's approaching in the opposite direction. I do allow enough time for them to see me, and slow down.

Was a time I also had a hitch on the swather, and pulled a pickup behind it (tractor, swather, pickup). Got flipped off a lot F 'em says me (big shrug)
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

http://www.farmersamm.com/

Quote Originally Posted by farmersamm View Post
    Here, in OK, agricultural equipment has the right-of-way during daylight hours. I could care less about how much road I take up, or how slow I'm traveling.

I pull a 14ft swather 2 1/2 miles on state highway to get to my other hay meadow. I keep the tractor on the road, and the swather just off the road enough to allow oncoming traffic to pass without clipping the swather. On bridges (this is a 2 lane road) I take the entire road, and don't care who's approaching in the opposite direction. I do allow enough time for them to see me, and slow down.

Was a time I also had a hitch on the swather, and pulled a pickup behind it (tractor, swather, pickup). Got flipped off a lot F 'em says me (big shrug)
    Every now and again, I've got to take a tractor out onto the paved roads, too. I figger they know if there is contact between their sheet metal and my hunk of cast iron and plate steel, they LOSE! $3K or worse for them. Maybe I'll have to touch up the paint.
    Be wary of The Numbers: Figures don't lie,. but liars can figure.
    Welders:
    2008 Lincoln 140 GMAW&FCAW
    2012 HF 165 'toy' GTAW&SMAW
    1970's Cobbled together O/A

Backing a trailer in to a drive in the summer at night had to speed up and clear the road for a drunk driver. It was a clear night no one was coming for miles then caught headlights in side window so stepped on gas got off the road. Driver hit the telephone pole next house over. This was a country road. Cant fix Stupid!
    Welders: IdealArc AC/DC 250
    Lincoln AC 225 converted to AC/DC
    O/A torches
    Lots of Hammers Clamps and Grinders

Quote Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
    Every now and again, I've got to take a tractor out onto the paved roads, too. I figger they know if there is contact between their sheet metal and my hunk of cast iron and plate steel, they LOSE! $3K or worse for them. Maybe I'll have to touch up the paint.
    My friend was driving a backhoe on a snowy morning about 9:00 AM A tractor trailer belonging to the local power company had been out all night delivering to crews doing storm damage. He hit truck right front to tractor left rear. Extensive damage to both. The guy in the backhoe had serious injuries.

This nonsense is to be prevented.

Willie
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

comcast and the motorists are equally liable.

1) motorists should slow their speed to account for unfavorable driving conditions.

2) comcast should increase their traffic control procedure to account for unfavorable driving conditions.

Its common sense and common practice to place warning signals and traffic control devices BEFORE a hill or obstruction if you are working behind the hill or obstruction. 40 MPH speed limit is considered safe speed for most conditions, as is the 1 cone per 10 MPH (which is highly inadequate) internal comcast rule. Safety is not cut and dry. there is no do this/ dont do this for every situation. there has to be a range of safety protocol for any given situation to account for rapidly changing or unknown variables.
    AWS CWI xxxx2171
    1968 SA200

Quote Originally Posted by WelderMike
    I hate being bipolar, It's awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZTFab View Post
    Nice work!
    Visit Regulator and Torch Exchange, Inc. for all your cutting and heating needs!

Wow one more reason I won't ever switch back to Comspastic.
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    L-tec PCM-DVi 40A plasma
    Victor Performer O/A
    Lincoln Viking 4C 3350