Best way to drill large holes in 1" plate? - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Best way to drill large holes in 1" plate?

9/16" to 2" diameters up to a 2" DOC => Annular Cutters. Everytime.

Source Jancy/Fein or Hougen cutters, understand how to feed/speed 'em, and keep 'em sharp.
    "Discovery is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what nobody else has thought" - Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

Quote Originally Posted by Stick-man View Post
    A guy I work with, his dad was a tool and die guy. He told me never step a twist drill more than once. He recommended using a #7 for a pilot, then the size for the hole you need. The majority of holes we drill are 5/8" and under, so these are what he is referring to. If you were to go from #7, to 1/4", to 3/8", to 1/2", to 5/8", you are just wearing out the edges. Although it feels like it will drill faster, you are actually killing the drill much faster.
    Yup. I don't have a size for pilot drill, it needs to be large enough to clear the way for the web/point/chisel edge. A 2 1/2" drill needs a lot larger pilot than 5/8" for example.
    Miller Dynasty 350
    Miller CP300
    Miller CP200
    Lincoln Idealarc 250/250
    Smith torch
    Lagun FTV-2
    Kent 13x40 TRL lathe
    Bunch of other metal cutting tools

Annular cutters should not be lifted out of their cut. It is much better to feed coolant while cutting. If you lift the cutter there is a good chance that chips will fall under the cutting edges. When the operator lowers the cutter back down in the groove the cutting edges ride on the chip instead of cutting. The operator increases pressure in order to break through. Sometimes he is lucky and the chip is penetrated. Often the force is so large that the magnet shifts and then the cutter snaps. This is a common error committed by novices. It is a good way to get on the bad side of the foreman.

Quote Originally Posted by lotechman View Post
    Annular cutters should not be lifted out of their cut. It is much better to feed coolant while cutting. If you lift the cutter there is a good chance that chips will fall under the cutting edges. When the operator lowers the cutter back down in the groove the cutting edges ride on the chip instead of cutting. The operator increases pressure in order to break through. Sometimes he is lucky and the chip is penetrated. Often the force is so large that the magnet shifts and then the cutter snaps. This is a common error committed by novices. It is a good way to get on the bad side of the foreman.
    Excellent points. Hougen agrees.

Once you make contact between the annular cutter and the work piece, maintain the downward pressure until completion. Critical for the sharp edges of the cutting teeth to fully penetrated into the surface with constant downward pressure. You will notice an audible pitch change during operation when the leading edges are fully embedded into the surface and the rest of the cutter flutes continue on their descent. This is one of the toughest concepts to 'accept' when first starting to use annular cutters. Constant pressure is good.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Discovery is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what nobody else has thought" - Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

Quote Originally Posted by lotechman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ManoKai View Post

Once you make contact between the annular cutter and the work piece, maintain the downward pressure until completion. Critical for the sharp edges of the cutting teeth to fully penetrated into the surface with constant downward pressure. You will notice an audible pitch change during operation when the leading edges are fully embedded into the surface and the rest of the cutter flutes continue on their descent. This is one of the toughest concepts to 'accept' when first starting to use annular cutters. Constant pressure is good.
    Okay I'll give it a try but I'll be pretty anxious about the outcome. I know better than argue with the experts that do it for a living . I've always had good luck with the down pressures and getting nice curls but it doesn't take long before the birds nest gets clear up above the cutter holder if it doesn't start to come unglued 1st. Once it starts to whip outward (for me anyway) it just goes downhill from there. Starts whipping way out there to where you don't hardly have enough reach to keep on with the down feed. Hangs up on the vise and everything. General big mess. I'll see how it goes in a few days to a week. . I've got some 1 1/8th holes in 1 inch plate to punch through if I don't get lazy and it isn't to cold for my fragile self.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Hougen's 904 and 925 MagDrills in action....

904S Manual

925 Manual/AutoFeed

mano; what an improvement over the powervane. a nobel prize for ironworking to the inventor of the modern mag drill.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

@ docwelder - yes Sir, indeed. Hougen invented the annular cutter, then one of the original partners departed to launch Jancy. But, Fein.....that awesome German firm....patented the first electric hand drill in 1895.

I use to drill everything with a Twist bit. Changing jobs took away the luxury of a Tool room. The next place I went they were drilling holes for pipes with Hole-Cutters. I now use them in the home shop but only drill large holes once to four times a month.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Couple of things I would have liked to see would be to telescope and mic the bores from each tool, as well as to show the cutters with powerfeed and fed coolant (I already know the answers, but would have been nice to show for others...hint, the annular cutter still wins hands down).

As for the cnc machine, I wouldn't use a spade drill...I'd use a roughing end mill with HSM ramping and the a finishing end mill single pass to clean it up. Find it's faster than a spade drill and chips are very manageable.

--Wintermute
    Some great thoughts. Yea, I was mostly just needing a rough clearance hole so i wasnt' thinking about the accuracy... i have telescope snap gauges and mics, so would have been easy to do.
    Checkout my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/turbocobra

Quote Originally Posted by turbocobra View Post
    Yea, I was mostly just needing a rough clearance hole so i wasnt' thinking about the accuracy...
    Plasma and oxy-fuel just moved to the front of the "best way" line.

And either one could match or better hole-saw quality in thick plate.
    Last edited by denrep; 01-08-2017 at 12:51 AM.

im taking it were not talking freehand here ;p or you must have a better torch hand then I !!! if your talking some sorta torch/plasma bed then your right they can do a pretty good circle... plasma at 1 inch? pretty rare/expensive yet as far as I know???
    7*12 metal cutting bandsaw
    miller thunderbolt ac/dc
    tig torch
    victor oxy/ace cutting rig]
    hougen 904s mag drill...
    and of course the
    BFH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rambin View Post
    im taking it were not talking freehand here ;p or you must have a better torch hand then I !!! if your talking some sorta torch/plasma bed then your right they can do a pretty good circle... plasma at 1 inch? pretty rare/expensive yet as far as I know???
    I have a plasma table with Powermax85 which is rated to cut 1", but it does a horrible job at anything really over 5/8. Will it cut through 1", yes, but leaves a really nasty beveled cut. If it were a Powermax105, or 125, then yes, that would be the way to go

Quote Originally Posted by ManoKai View Post

Awesome information, I didn't realize this, and definitely can tell after the the cutter engages for a few seconds it really starts to cut. So I guess it's more important to keep plunging than to keep liberal amounts of lubrication at the cutter edge. As it was mentioned by someone else, sometimes those birds nests of wiring chips can really cause issues and need to be cleared before proceeding. In thinner plate this isn't much of an issue.

With annular cutters, liquid is more of a coolant than a lubricant. Even water will help prolong cutter life. I use the evolution water based coolant and it seems to work well. In the winter, on outside work, I use windshield washer fluid instead of water to keep from freezing.

I'm using a mixture of cutting oil and kerosene.
    My single speed mag drill (B&D) spins at 375rpm.
    Surface speed is a little high with larger HSS cutters.
    The idea of thinning out cutting oil was to conduct heat
    away from tool faster. I don't know that my mixture is
    necessarily better than others but it seems to work well.
    Miller a/c-d/c Thunderbolt XL
    Millermatic 180
    Purox O/A
    Smith Littletorch O/A
    Vintage-
    -South Bend 9in. lathe
    -South Bend 7in. shaper
    -Craftsman power hacksaw
    -FibreMetal 710

Quote Originally Posted by denrep View Post
    Plasma and oxy-fuel just moved to the front of the "best way" line.

And either one could match or better hole-saw quality in thick plate.
    Quote Originally Posted by rambin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by turbocobra View Post
    I have a plasma table with Powermax85 which is rated to cut 1", but it does a horrible job at anything really over 5/8. Will it cut through 1", yes, but leaves a really nasty beveled cut. If it were a Powermax105, or 125, then yes, that would be the way to go
    I thought every ol' plasma machine was rated for 1" today?

Okay then, oxy-fuel to the front of the line, please.

Sure, at least some sort of basic guide would help.
    Although with thin 1" tin many could could probably freehand burn a hole good enough for the described bolt clearance, per reply #2.

Don't junk the machine shop yet. I'm just suggesting that if large bolt-clearance-quality holes are needed in thick plate and the correct tooling to machine 'em is lacking, burning is definitely workable.

What happens if the next needed hole is a little larger or the tin a bit thicker? Then everything else that has been looked at is out.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by denrep; 01-08-2017 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by denrep View Post
    I thought every ol' plasma machine was rated for 1" today?

Okay then, oxy-fuel to the front of the line, please.

Sure, at least some sort of basic guide would help.
    Although with thin 1" tin many could could probably freehand burn a hole good enough for the described bolt clearance, per reply #2.

Don't junk the machine shop yet. I'm just suggesting that if large bolt-clearance-quality holes are needed in thick plate and the correct tooling to machine 'em is lacking, burning is definitely workable.

What happens if the next needed hole is a little larger or the tin a bit thicker? Then everything else that has been looked at is out.
    Really clean flame cut hole for sure! I can't do anything near that nice with a torch

turbo don't feel bad that wasn't done with a freehand torch or a circle attachment on a freehand......
    7*12 metal cutting bandsaw
    miller thunderbolt ac/dc
    tig torch
    victor oxy/ace cutting rig]
    hougen 904s mag drill...
    and of course the
    BFH!!!

Right i figured it was done with a circle jig. Did you have to drill a pilot for it to pivot on? Still though, super clean edge to be flame cut

I got bored watching your video... I like to put holes in fast. I run a similar job as this video of mine with a 1.5" diameter sandvik coro 880 drill, punch through 4" deep in under 30 seconds.
    IIRC my lathe spndle motor is 15hp, the 1.5" drill pulls it to abotu 120% load.

And yes I have ran that drill bit in my manual mill (though my manual mill weighs about 6k lbs so not a normal bridgeport either) And it does work quite fast, just with no thru coolant have to peck at it and obviously cant horse it as much. I dont recall exactly what the 1.5" drill cost but I always tell people its a $1k drill bit, and I think the body plus 20 inserts was right close to that.

I had to drill some 1-5/8 diameter holes in some 1" aluminum blocks for a machine mount yesterday. I drilled a 3/8", then 3/4", then 1", then 1-1/2" then ran a boring bar to 1-5/8". Granted this was all done on my 10hp VMC and I could have interpolated it but it was easier just drilling them out. I guess my thought was maybe a boring bar would be another option? I'm not sure if they make a boring head and adapter for a MT drill press? A person wouldn't be stuck with the same size hole with a boring bar and head. When I'm drilling holes I usually go 1 step, half the size of the finished hole.