Second Project - Pressure Assist Blaster and Dust Collection
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Second Project - Pressure Assist Blaster and Dust Collection

My second project was a pressure assist blaster made out of an old propane tank. This was flux core welded but was leaky due to pinholes. Very hard to weld with fluxcore due to thickness of material. Used JBWeld to coat the welds of the two tank sections. Wish I had gas then - I plan on redoing the seam in the future.

The handle is angle iron, cut, bent and filled. Not too bad but a bit of a pain. It would be nice to have a tubing bender - a future shop addition. The pedal applies and releases pressure from the compressor. Great addition to this type of blast setup.

The dust collector is an Oneida Dust Deputy connection to a dead Craftsman vaccuum cannister for sand reclamation. I use volcanic sand for blasting. The blaster tank was finished with the blaster. Worked very well.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Second Project - Pressure Assist Blaster and Dust Collection - Part 2

More pictures including weld closeups. Yikes!
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Re: Second Project - Pressure Assist Blaster and Dust Collection - Part 2

Here we go...

Re: Second Project - Pressure Assist Blaster and Dust Collection

lord have mercy, what a way to end the year with another bomb in the making. please release FB and Sundown on this guy, he deserves the bashing he is going to get.

so the welds on the tank are laden with porosity and you decided to cover the holes with jb weld and then pressurize the tank? What part of any of that sounded like a good idea to you? It may not pop today, or tomorrow, but that tank is gonna pop and it'll be a catastrophe. I hope for your sake no loved ones are around when it happens.
    ESAB MigMaster 275
    Miller Econotwin HF
    Miller Syncrowave 250

Harsh points taken, gentlemen. I am not a professional welder as you two seem to be, judging from your comments.

I pressurized the tank with 20 psi (the working tank pressure) and it dropped to 10 psi over a period of 8 hours. Did the soap test bubble test for the main seam and found 2 pinholes. Decided that it would be good idea to JB weld the entire seam just in case. I've used this setup a total of 20 times without incident.

I'll be sure to restrict my postings in the future. Thanks for your help.

What were you thinking? Never mind you weren't! Do a quick search on welding pressure vessels before the others see this and ream you good. As stated above this is now a bomb!!! It's not your postings it's your pressure tank. What happens when and if you inadvertently have a pressure bump the welds you laid weakened the tank making it a deadly grenade. Do the math even at 20 psi that adds up to a lot of force. Just looking out for the safety of any innocent bystanders. This isn't a pro/am thing. These comments are made to make you aware of what you are standing next to.
    Last edited by flatbustedbroke; 12-31-2011 at 05:02 PM.
    "Liberalism is a mental disorder" Dr. Savage

Quote Originally Posted by karlgabel View Post
    My second project was a pressure assist blaster made out of an old propane tank. This was flux core welded but was leaky due to pinholes. Very hard to weld with fluxcore due to thickness of material. Used JBWeld to coat the welds of the two tank sections. Wish I had gas then - I plan on redoing the seam in the future.

The handle is angle iron, cut, bent and filled. Not too bad but a bit of a pain. It would be nice to have a tubing bender - a future shop addition. The pedal applies and releases pressure from the compressor. Great addition to this type of blast setup.

While I'll commend you on some of the build parts ( nice job with the bends in the handle, most simply would not have bothered with the hassle.) you are going to get blasted yourself, so put on your PPE. The majority of this build is down right dangerous and could be quite deadly.

Your welds do not look to be good enough for pressure vessel work from the picts I see posted. The fact some leaked is fairly scarey. You might want to take a look at the damage a ruptured compressor cylinder can cause.

weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=48232

While the damage in that thread was caused by a thin section where the tank was rusted, yours could have ended up the same way simply because of the poor welds you made. You might want to take a minute and thank someone that you are still alive, and maybe take a few moments with loved ones you might not have been around to be with tonight.

Pressure vessels, like trailers and suspension components, are not "learning" projects. I know many people have done this and posted up suggestions that they managed to do these with no issues. Lots of people play Russia roulette and don't die the 1st couple times they pull the trigger either.

I'd strongly suggest you cut up and scrap this "bomb" before your number comes up. You have no known safety factor in what you did. It might be perfectly fine at say 25 psi, and then rupture at 50 psi. All it would take is to have the cut out switch on the compressor fail and you didn't bother to check the blow off valve and it was a bit sticky from rust. Even repeated cycling on the unit may be enough to start fatigue cracks from some of the weak spots in the unit.

I doubt the cost of having this unit properly tested would be cost effective. You however might find out how expensive a "cheap" pressure pot is if you have to visit the ER at best, or if your family has to visit you at the morgue at worst.

Edit: I see you replied while I was typing this. Don't be at all surprised to see a lot of negative comments on this. Many here take safety very seriously and will be sure to drive this point home so other new guys don't think something like this is "acceptable" simply from ignorance like you might have. We don't want you NOT to post, but when dangerous things are posted, people will make sure to let everyone know.

Buck up, learn from your mistake, scrap this and move on. Oh BTW JB Weld probably isn't an approved "patch" for a pressure vessel. If anything it will help hide flaws until it may be too late.
    Last edited by DSW; 12-31-2011 at 05:13 PM.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Your suggestions concerning how to rectify my errors are appreciated. Thanks for your input - my post should provide for lively commentary.

Regarding an inadvertent pressure bump, it would require two regulators to fail. One at the outlet of the compressor (set at 60 psi) and another at the inlet to the pressure tank (set at 20 psi).

Thanks Editor. I see the error of my ways and would like to know how one would go about building such a tank.

Regarding an inadvertent pressure bump, it would require two regulators to fail. One at the outlet of the compressor (set at 60 psi) and another at the inlet to the pressure tank (set at 20 psi).
    Not really, possibly only one might have to fail, if the cylinder can't stand 60 psi. I'll give you credit for using two regs however.

The big problem is that there is no way to know the "safe" working pressure on this. That's why companies doing pressure vessel work hydro test these sorts of things. They are tested to a predetermined over pressure point as a safety measure. Say you plan to hook this up to a 125 psi compressor ( how low you plan to run this probably wouldn't matter because they'd most likely use the max possible pressure for something like this) They'd then fill this with water and test the unit to some over pressure value.

On compressed gas cylinders like O2 cylinders it's 5/3rd the working pressure for most cylinders. So a 3000psi rated cylinder will be tested to 5000 psi at hydro and measured to see if it returned to it's original dimensions after testing. Cylinders that do not pass have the makings overstamped so that no one will accidentally fill them and scrapped. This is usually the same pressure the safety disks are rated at. That way in theory, the cylinder should never go above it's test pressure without the safety letting go to protect you.

I'll have to take another look at my commercial pot. I'm betting it has a pressure relief valve installed on it as well as a safety measure.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

This reminds me of the Dannyscam Truckbed Trailer thread!

All kidding aside, that looks pretty dangerous.

-Alex
    -Alex

Sears/Craftsman 230A Buzzy Box
    Sears/Craftsman 180A Buzzy Box
    Chicago Electric 80A Inverter

ALL STICK...ALL THE TIME!

I spent a lot of time with the square peg and round hole.

Your post are interesting so don't stop. From this post you do need to practice on improving you welding skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay O View Post
    Your post are interesting so don't stop. From this post you do need to practice on improving you welding skills.
    Thanks Jay. Your comment is a ray of sunshine.

Check out the price of a pot from HF might be a little smaller but a whole lot safer. Really not trying to get you down just trying to save a lot of pain. And as far as effort goes you did try (that's more than most will do these days) and if you are as creative with all your projects post up I want to see them.
    "Liberalism is a mental disorder" Dr. Savage

Send it off for a hydrotest stamp!
    Welding/Fab Pics: www.UtahWeld.com

Thanks Editor. I see the error of my ways and would like to know how one would go about building such a tank.

become a certified pressure vessel welder, weld the tank, then send it off for a proper hydrostatic test.
    ESAB MigMaster 275
    Miller Econotwin HF
    Miller Syncrowave 250

Harsh points taken, gentlemen. I am not a professional welder as you two seem to be, judging from your comments.

I pressurized the tank with 20 psi (the working tank pressure) and it dropped to 10 psi over a period of 8 hours. Did the soap test bubble test for the main seam and found 2 pinholes. Decided that it would be good idea to JB weld the entire seam just in case. I've used this setup a total of 20 times without incident.

Unfortunately it may not be apparent visually, but each time you put pressure in that tank, it could stretch those welds at their weak points, just a tich, and get weaker and weaker in the process. On the 20th, 50th, 100th or what ever use, it gives. And that time might just be the time you were in a bit of a rush and didn't notice the 20psi valve was broken and you put 60 psi to the tank, or you needed to get the blasting done fast and said phuk-it, like we ALL do at one time or another, and turn up the pressure.

Don't restrict your postings. It's how we learn when we've made a mistake and fortunately, the people on here will let you know and possibly save your life. Yes, sometimes the good advise is blurred by sarcasm, but that doesn't mean it's not valid.
    B
    200amp Air Liquide MIG, Hypertherm Plasma, Harris torches, Optrel helmet, Makita angle grinders, Pre-China Delta chop saw and belt sander, Miller leathers, shop made jigs etc, North- welders backpack.

Well, here's another bright side. Cut that plug out of the top, make top that fits over the whole thing and you have yourself a portable siphon pot. A useful tool and then it's not a total loss.
    Contrary to popular opinion, I do NOT have a pet turkey that craps molten steel. It's a goose.

There is a great deal of knowledge and skill here in more than just welding, listen to what these guys are telling you, visual alone is enough to know you are not at a skill level to construct this type of unit, It is not about pride, you are fooling with a tiger in a tank, and really putting yourself or anyone within the killing radius of the vessel in great danger. With no exageration you are playing with your life, and I truly think you don't know and or beleive it. Buy just the vessel from a dealer and install all your plumbing if it makes you happy , but retire that THING before it retires you. It seems as if you believe that 10 or 20 PSI is not enough to damage you, plus I don't know what type of blasting you will do at that pressure so I suspect you will gradually turn it up for better results increasing the problem further. Let this thread run it course, I promise you more will speak out against it then will commend your work. We always try to encourage others here but this is downright dangerous.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

(2)Lincoln 225AC/DC portables, Miller Syncrowave 300, miller sidekick,Lincoln Idealarc 250,Miller 251 Mig, Miller 30A spool gun, Hende lathe, Horizontal bandsaw, pora band ,14FT enclosed trailer.SA200's

see the post currently at the top of this very forum. A homemade blaster such as yours exploded and sent a man to the hospital.

That thing is a time bomb waiting to happen, i would cut it up for scrap metal before you seriously hurt yourself.

no im not overreacting.
    Vantage 500's LN-25's, VI-400's, cobramatics, Powcon inverters, XMT's, 250 Ton pacific 12' press brake, 1/4" 10' Atlantic shear,Koikie plasma table W/ esab plasmas.
    Lincoln idealarc tig 330A with bernard cooler Sync350LX. Miller migs, marvel saws

THROW THIS AWAY NOW
    Please throw it away. And not just throw it, cut it up so nobody can use it
    read my post about the home made sand blaster
    Millermatic® 252 w/ Spoolmatic® 30A
    Hypertherm Powermax65
    Jet 5" x 6" Horizontal / Vertical Bandsaw
    DEWALT 14in. Abrasive Chop Saw
    Themal Gel so the welding doesn't melt my Igloo

I'm all for DIY, but somethings are just plain dangerous and shouldn't be learning projects. Leave it to the pros! Here's another recent example http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=68291

Don't let your children near that thing. If you want to blow yourself up, then fine, but leave the innocent out of this equation, shrapnel can maim or kill.

When a welder tells you to "stick it", what do they really mean?

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Throw it away...seriuosly.
    Lincoln pro mig 180
    Lincoln Square Wave Tig 300/wp 20/home built water cooler
    Victor, Purox, Harris, O/A welding/cutting setups
    Vintage Craftsman drill press
    Vintage Craftsman/Atlas 12"x 36'' lathe
    7''x 12'' w/c band saw
    Everlast 140 st