Safest & affordable respirator?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Question Safest & affordable respirator?

im gonna post this in here aswell because this counts as gear too right?

i cant find information anywhere on a respirator that's able to filter out the toxic gases created from welding, mostly manganese + Ozone & hexavalent chromium (and the others produced, i don't know them all)

If anyone could point me in the right direction, it would be a great help (preferably something that fits well under a hood or directs to somewhere else)

ive settled for a N99 "air purifying respirator'
    https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-719...ing+respirator
    whether its actually air purifying i dont know, ive read that particulate respirators dont filter out vapors (like Ozone, ive read that activated carbon is good for this but i havent found any respirators for that)
    but the CDC website says anything or above N95 is suitable for manganese, hexavalent chromium however im not sure

a respirator with hoses to the rear would probably be the best, but i havent been successful in finding any (amazon probably isnt the best place to look, but i couldnt find much on 3m either, plus i dont have much cash so a speedglas is out of the picture)
    if anyone knew an affordable one that would also help

I didnt think finding a safety item for something that could possibly kill you would be this difficult,
    or maybe its just me and i cant find anything on the internet
    thanks in advance
    A MatchBox
    cracked and chipped 6010s and 7018s
    whole lotta ambition

Re: Safest & affordable respirator?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007J...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0032...DFYQJZGET00KT8

That's what I use. Haven't died yet. Fits fine under my Miller digital elite hood.
    Last edited by rtlflat; 01-03-2017 at 01:50 PM. Reason: URL fail
    -Everlast PowerArc 280 STH
    -Hypertherm Powermax 30 XP

Usually frowned upon posing the same question in multiple areas. Imagine everyone asking which welder posting the question in the general forum, mig/tig/stick forum, tools forum, etc.
    Miller Dynasty 350
    Miller CP300
    Miller CP200
    Lincoln Idealarc 250/250
    Smith torch
    Lagun FTV-2
    Kent 13x40 TRL lathe
    Bunch of other metal cutting tools

yeah I know,i just didnt expect quick answers to happen, if at all, it was a somewhat urgent answer i needed.
    i know alot of people usually ignore some threads

thanks though it helps out alot
    i would delete this if i knew how

A few things,

#1 The 3M half face respirators with N100 filters are basically a HEPA filter that traps 99.99% or whatever particles, NOT gasses, VOC's etc. a lot of people use them, I have 2 or 3 myself. if you are trying to filter other nasties you need to use the activated charcoal canisters, but those aren't going to fit under your hood.

#2 Respirators need to be kept clean and they need to fit your face properly to work.

#3 Miller has a nice smaller unit that fits well under pretty much any hood. https://www.millerwelds.com/safety/r...irators-m00469

#4 PAPR filters are basically just a longer lasting filter like the half mask ones and filter (theoretically) cleaner air from near your waist up to your hood with a full cover over it, nicer than half mask and lots cooler

#5 Speedglass helmets suck (IMHO) and every major brand has a PAPR setup.

#6 The cat's meow is a supplied air PAPR. No batteries to worry about, or filters, cool clean air, but you are tied to an oil free air supply.
    Ryan

Miller Multimatic 200 w/tig,spool gun,wireless foot
    Millermatic 350P w/Bernard & XR Python guns
    Miller Dynasty 350 w/Coolmate 3.5 & wireless foot
    Miller Spectrum 375 X-treme
    Optrel e684
    Miller Digital Elite x2
    Miller Weld-Mask

Also you need to be clean shaven for the face masks to seal properly. I don't shave but it still massively better than no mask at all. And I'm not digging metal dust embedded boogers out all evening afterwards. Whatever you end up using... Best practice is to keep head out of plume whenever possible and have a fan blowing/pulling plume away from you
    Last edited by rtlflat; 01-04-2017 at 01:12 AM.
    -Everlast PowerArc 280 STH
    -Hypertherm Powermax 30 XP

use those 3m filters when grinding metal

works well for me

Charl

3m 8515 is what my last employer bought us. Most of us used speedglas papr's, I loved them.