How to prevent "birds nesting" - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: How to prevent "birds nesting"

Your drive roll tension is too high.

You need to be able to stop it with your hand, like pinch it between your fingers.

Otherwise it just keeps feeding when the wire gets stuck on a bb on your tip.

You could also have a dirty liner. Does the wire pull out easy when you cut it off to run it through again?

And yes, your spool needs to be flipped. You need to try to keep MIG wire in a straight line as much as you can.
    Last edited by TimmyTIG; 01-03-2017 at 08:16 PM.

Is the spool installed correctly. The small hole on the spool should line up with the protrusion on the holder. StaRt and stop the weld wire while watching the spool. It should not continue to turn as the wire stops. Keep using 035 tips if the wire feed through them. Are all the pArts in the spool holder and assembled correctly?

Do you have mig pliers?

Good luck. Things will improve significantly when the machine gets setup properly.
    Last edited by tapwelder; 01-03-2017 at 09:21 PM.

I've never seen a liner sticking out the back end of the gun like that. I don't think that's causing the problem, though.

Never used Hobart MIG, though. That's another problem, your machine isn't blue.

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTIG View Post
    That's another problem, your machine isn't blue.
    You meant to type RED!
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Quote Originally Posted by CEP View Post
    You meant to type RED!
    YES, red, BLUE !

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTIG View Post
    I've never seen a liner sticking out the back end of the gun like that. I don't think that's causing the problem, though.
    Actually that's not that unusual depending on the gun and the closer the section of liner is to the drive roll the less likely there will be a feed problem (if everything else is correct).

BUT, anyone else see how jacked up the guide liner is before going into the gun? That'll cause excessive friction that can lead to bird nesting.

Name:  15871042_982054511939237_1860711220_n.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  71.9 KB

Fix the liner and once the wire spool is turned over the correct way, drive tension can/should be reduced and the bird nesting will likely go away.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

4 out of the 5 voices in my head say "Go for it".

Quote Originally Posted by tbone550 View Post
    EDIT to add that a few comments got in between when I read what you wrote and when I got done typing. I'm going to leave my reply as is although I realize you already answered at least one question I had below.

I don't mean to put words in your mouth, but I think what you're trying to say is that it's kinking up between the drive rollers and where the wire enters the liner for the gun...in that little 3/4" or so gap. A birdsnest between the roll of wire and the drive rollers is something I've never seen unless the brake is loose and the roll unspools during travel or handling of the feeder....and it sounds like this isn't what's happening to you.

So there are a few things that can cause flux-core feeding problems. First, be sure you're using V-knurled rollers which are for flux core. Regular V-groove or U-groove rollers can slip on the wire rather than feed it. Very annoying. Next, be sure your wire tension is set correctly. You shouldn't need to really crank down hard on the tension knob -- there should be just enough on it so the wire feeds reliably. Also, try to keep your gun's whip as straight as realistically possible. Tight turns or multiple curves can cause feeding problems. Blow your liner out with compressed air between rolls, and be sure it's sized properly for the wire so the wire can't build up a lot of 'spring' inside of it if it's too big, or bind if it's too small. Finally, if your tip is the wrong size or has burrs in it, it can be a bottleneck to good feeding. Even with flux-core, tips will last a good long while if properly cared for and not shorted out on the workpiece all the time.
    @tbone, yes, that is what I meant. Feel free to put words in my mouth, otherwise I will never learn the lingo. I was happy for learning the word "bird nesting"...lol. My welder problems are pretty much all of the above. I do not have a roller that is specific to flux core, I am using the one from the regular alloy steel. I had a feeling that the curves may have something to do with the problem considering that the welder is in a wheel barrow and the line has a sharp turn upwards where it is coming out of the machine, check out the pic. Also, I could feel the wire get jammed just as it was about to come out of the tip. It is an .035 tip, same as the wire size, but for some reason it just didn't feel right, so the only other bigger tip we have is an .045, can't really tell much about how that is working out because I've hardly got to use it more than 30 seconds or so before it jams up. Anyway, thank you very much for your response, hopefully one day I will be able to master this.Name:  15879100_982113015266720_1237709264_n.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  36.2 KB

Yeah, that sharp upward bend and then downward isn't your friend and combined with the other issues (up-side-down spool, kinked guide liner) are all adding up against you.

Stick a 2x4 or 4x4 under the front of the welder to minimize/eliminate the sharp bends in the gun cable.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

A Picture is worth 1k words....

What I do is take the tip off ,run wire out past end of gun then slip tip over wire tighten tip

Delay the table , build a welding cart. Definite binding if you are using if in that wheel barrow as is.

Step one:
    Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post
    Fix the liner and once the wire spool is turned over the correct way, drive tension can/should be reduced and the bird nesting will likely go away.
    Step two:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bls repair View Post
    Looks like it is EP .If using self shielded flux cored,most are EN.
    X2....

Name:  polarity.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  126.7 KB

These 2 wires need to swap positions for flux core.
    Hobbyist - At what point is a "hobby" out-of-control?

If you have always installed your spools the way it is currently pictured, you will want to replace your outboard wire giude as it will have a very deep notch worn in it, which will also increase feed friction.

so to recap most of what i have read in this thread:

1) flip your spool over so it feed off the spool and straight in the wire guide (orange circle)

2) get the correct drive rolls for flux cored wire ... it does make a difference.

3) loosen your drive roll tension. With the improper drive rolls, your tension is too tight and is deforming the wire.

4) prop up the front of your welder to get the kink out of your liner (red and blue lines) and also reinstall the gun properly so it lines up with the wire guides.

5) replace the inboard wire guide as it is damaged as Duane has noticed. (Green Square)

Name:  youredoingitwrong.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  78.1 KB
    AWS CWI xxxx2171
    1968 SA200

Quote Originally Posted by WelderMike
    I hate being bipolar, It's awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZTFab View Post
    Nice work!
    Visit Regulator and Torch Exchange, Inc. for all your cutting and heating needs!

Well I'm just going to state the obvious here, I am in dire need of help! No former training, no other employees to help me or guide me in the right direction, the only tools I had ever used before I started working here was a hammer and nail, a screwdriver, and that's about it, no power tools, not even a drill. Granted I have learned a lot, but when looking at the big picture I don't know ****! Except plasma cutting, that's my claim to fame!
    I've looked for a class or someone who could give me some one on one training but all I could come up with was a welder's helper class at ptec for $7,000. Way to pricey for me, I also help care for my elderly parents so it's hard for me to make a commitment like going back to school and risking losing pretty much all the money I have to my name when I don't know what's going to happen with them on a day to day basis.
    My boss is really cool and understanding about the situation, so my job can be flexible if I need it to be.
    Anyway, I'm just going to keep chugging along with my youtube videos and my oh so helpful weldingwebbers!
    Thanks to all of you for the helpful advise. I really do appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by FORTEALLOY View Post
    Step one:

Step two:

X2....

Name:  polarity.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  126.7 KB

These 2 wires need to swap positions for flux core.
    I did switch the polarity wires, I believe that's what they're called, when I put the roll of flux core in. Are you saying I need to switch them back?

What flux core wire are you using?

Wow, you got a lot going on there, all wrong.

Your roll is upside down (TP water flowing over the roll) It needs to spool off from the bottom.

Your liner looks boogered up and bent, it's probably also dirty, blow it out regularly when switching wire rolls.

Drive rolls are not the correct ones for flux core.

Using Horrible Freight wire, while cheap, it's NOT up to the same standard as quality brand wire, you will notice a difference, specifically in feeding. Are you thinking about DUAL SHIELD wire (flux cored with gas shielding) you're using regular ol' flux core wire, aka stick on a spool.

Call your local Vocational Technical school, lots of them have very inexpensive after hours courses open to anyone, not just HS kids and are usually taught by old timers with a wealth of knowledge who love teaching people a trade. Or try calling your county college, sometimes they have trade type classes for retraining, etc.
    Ryan

Miller Multimatic 200 tig/spool gun/wireless remote
    Millermatic 350P, Bernard/XR Python guns
    Miller Dynasty 350, Coolmate 3.5 & wireless remote
    CK WF1 TIG wire feeder
    Miller Spectrum 375 Xtreme
    Optrel e684
    Miller Digital Elite
    Miller Weld-Mask

Is that the Handler 180?

Do you have the manual you can read up on its features and operation?

http://www.hobartwelders.com/om/0900/o925b_hob.pdf
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Is that the Handler 180?

i believe it is the 190.
    AWS CWI xxxx2171
    1968 SA200

Quote Originally Posted by WelderMike
    I hate being bipolar, It's awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZTFab View Post
    Nice work!
    Visit Regulator and Torch Exchange, Inc. for all your cutting and heating needs!

If this is how it is set now you need to reverse the wires for self shielding flux cored

Is that the Handler 180?

Seven voltage taps, aluminum wire drive housing, and the gun control wire connection on the face of the machine make it a Handler 190. The Handler 180 had 4 voltage taps and the plastic wire drive housing.
    ESAB Migmaster 250
    Hobart Ironman 230
    TWECO Fabricator 181i & 211i
    HH125EZ - nice little fluxcore only unit

Maxstar 150 STH - very nice

She said it was a HH190

I posted the manual many posts ago, which has ALL the info in it regarding the drive roll set and how they are labeled.

How to set up the machine for fluxcore or solid wire.

The machine comes with the correct drive roll for both solid wire and fluxcore.

Quick fix on the machine in the wheelbarrow - turn it around angle it up and out the front instead.

Manuals come in handy.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Quote Originally Posted by Bls repair View Post
    What flux core wire are you using?
    Chicago Electric .035 self sheilding.

i believe the hobart drive wheel that comes with the machine is reversible.one side for flux core .30-.35 and other side for solid wire .30-.35.if your push the drive roll in and turn a quater turn it should come off the spindle.look at the grooves.one should be smooth other should have like little teeth in it.put that side towards the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    Is the spool installed correctly. The small hole on the spool should line up with the protrusion on the holder. StaRt and stop the weld wire while watching the spool. It should not continue to turn as the wire stops. Keep using 035 tips if the wire feed through them. Are all the pArts in the spool holder and assembled correctly?

Do you have mig pliers?

Good luck. Things will improve significantly when the machine gets setup properly.
    As far as I know it's installed right. There is a hole that I lined up with the protusion and that keeps the spool from moving freely.
    I'm not sure what mig pliers are, but we probably do have some around here. I just don't know what they're called.