How to prevent "birds nesting" - Page 3
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: How to prevent "birds nesting"

Quote Originally Posted by aprilspence View Post
    As far as I know it's installed right. There is a hole that I lined up with the protusion and that keeps the spool from moving freely.
    I'm not sure what mig pliers are, but we probably do have some around here. I just don't know what they're called.
    the wire should feed off the bottom of the spool STRAIGHT into the wire guides.

the spool is wrong, many people have said it. flip it over.
    AWS CWI xxxx2171
    1968 SA200

Quote Originally Posted by WelderMike
    I hate being bipolar, It's awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZTFab View Post
    Nice work!
    Visit Regulator and Torch Exchange, Inc. for all your cutting and heating needs!

I think the the welder was set up for flux core from the factory not solid wire .Could be the cause of original problems.

Quote Originally Posted by ram69 View Post
    i believe the hobart drive wheel that comes with the machine is reversible.one side for flux core .30-.35 and other side for solid wire .30-.35.if your push the drive roll in and turn a quater turn it should come off the spindle.look at the grooves.one should be smooth other should have like little teeth in it.put that side towards the inside.
    This is the drive wheel, don't see any teeth like things?Name:  15822337_982177321926956_601133896_n.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  23.7 KBName:  15879529_982177418593613_704249865_n.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  21.2 KB

Name:  yourestilldoingitwrong.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  133.0 KB
    AWS CWI xxxx2171
    1968 SA200

Quote Originally Posted by WelderMike
    I hate being bipolar, It's awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZTFab View Post
    Nice work!
    Visit Regulator and Torch Exchange, Inc. for all your cutting and heating needs!

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    Is the spool installed correctly. The small hole on the spool should line up with the protrusion on the holder. StaRt and stop the weld wire while watching the spool. It should not continue to turn as the wire stops. Keep using 035 tips if the wire feed through them. Are all the pArts in the spool holder and assembled correctly?

Do you have mig pliers?

Good luck. Things will improve significantly when the machine gets setup properly.
    As far as I know it's installed correctly. There's a hole on the spool that lines up with the protrusion to keep it in place.
    I'm not sure what mig pliers are? We probably do have some around here, I just don't know what they're called. That happens quite often here.

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    the stamping should read

.030-.035 VK

https://www.hobartwelders.com/om/6di...60273d_hob.pdf

V is for solid wire and VK is for Fluxcore.

The stamping is on the opposite side of the corresponding groove so you can read it from the outside- Make sense?
    yes, it does have a VK on one side. Thank you.

Attached is a picture of some MIG pliers.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
    Clausing/Coldchester 15" Lathe
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport
    Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma Torch

Quote Originally Posted by Don52 View Post
    Attached is a picture of some MIG pliers.
    Oh, ok. Yes, we do have some of those around here. Never used them though.

That big black knob, loosen it. Until you can stop the wire by squeezing it with your fingers.

April, If you haven't already, download and print the manual Broccoli posted and read it thoroughly especially spool installation. It appears to me that is the cause of most of your problem since the spool is on wrong side out and the spool tension isn't set right allowing the spool to keep turning after you let off on the trigger. As already said many times the wire needs to come off the spool in a straight line to the wire guide and into the rollers.
    If you have trouble getting the wire thru the gun tip, remove the tip and look at the end of the cut wire carefully. I think you'll see it's crushed, so lightly hold the end of the wire perpendicular to the face of a running grinder disk to get rid of the crushed part of it. You may need to lightly file off a burr formed from the grinding. Run the wire thru the tip and screw the tip back in the gun.
    Another point that hasn't been covered is your humid environment. Try very hard to keep the flux core as dry as possible. I don't mean rain, I mean the humidity in the air. If it gets rusty the rust will get scraped off the wire while going thru the gun liner eventually making it hard for the rollers to push it thru. Clean fluxcore will always have a little residue scraped off and will have the same effect as the rust.

Mike
    Last edited by mla2ofus; 01-04-2017 at 12:32 AM.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Hobart G-213
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

I always just take the tip off before I run the wire thru.

The mig pliers are convenient since it is a multitool for mig issues. Not the cause of your problem, I just wondered how you were clearing the wire mess. Looks like you use vice grips. The mig wires are good for cleanly snipping the wire before feeding it into the liner. If the wire is not snipped cleanly and straight, then I will be difficult to feed through the liner and tip. At this point, I would read the manual and assure that everything is properly setup. Definately improve the line of the hose and wire feed. The hose does not need to be perfectly straight, just eliminate loops and abrupt turns.... Like coming out of the wheel barrow.

Good luck
    Last edited by tapwelder; 01-04-2017 at 09:29 AM.

I'm not sure I agree with that whole you need to have knurled (or otherwise special) rollers to feed cored wires. I never seem to have any problems just using standard V-groove rollers to feed cored wires. Of course it helps to know how to set up, adjust and maintain a wire feeder system.

In the hands of an inexperienced operator a set of knurled rollers on a feeder is kind of a recipe for developing some serious feed issues.

Name:  ADF 005.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  30.5 KB

She said it was a HH190

I posted the manual many posts ago, which has ALL the info in it regarding the drive roll set and how they are labeled.
    Obviously I should have paid a little closer attention Ed as I didn't see that for some reason even though I looked.

Quick fix on the machine in the wheelbarrow - turn it around angle it up and out the front instead.
    Thought about that suggestion too.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save 2nd Base!

Quote Originally Posted by Bls repair View Post
    I think the the welder was set up for flux core from the factory not solid wire .Could be the cause of original problems.
    Agreed.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save 2nd Base!

Are there any members in the St. Pete or surrounding areas that can give this young lady a hand for a couple hours to get her primary issues and practices sorted out?
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save 2nd Base!

Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post
    Are there any members in the St. Pete or surrounding areas that can give this young lady a hand for a couple hours to get her primary issues and practices sorted out?
    If the mods can budget it, I would be willing to escape the cold and help. Seriously tho, that is probably the best way to correct this and some other issues the OP is having.

First off.........set the dam thing up right.

Name:  IMG_2545.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  119.0 KBSpool/wire orientation. Cable connections.

DCEN: Look at the connections for the leads. Electrode -, work lead+ (proper way for flux core wire)

Wire feeding from bottom of spool

Main plastic nut on spool tightens to the LEFT. Look at the spool, and make sure the drive dimples (round dimple thingies on side of spool) line up with the arm on the spool shaft. There are sometimes two sets of dimples on a spool at different locations, and heights above the center of the spool. MAKE SURE THESE MATCH. When properly aligned, there's no slop when you try to rotate the spool.

The nut which adjusts the wire tension on the spool is the little shiny one with the spring behind it. It tightens RIGHT. Just enough tension so's you can gently turn the spool your fingers. Only has to be tight enough so that it won't continue to rotate after you take your finger off the trigger, and won't rotate when the machine is moved.

Set your roll tension at #2 on the thimble to start with. Set it with the idler roller fully engaged, and tensioner cammed over. DO NOT TRY TO SET IT WITHOUT ENGAGING THE IDLER.

Name:  IMG_2544.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  117.5 KB

Make sure the knurled groove is actually driving the wire. Not the other grooves. You should have noticed that the drive roller cams onto the drive shaft at different positions.

Name:  IMG_2546.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  123.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2547.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  46.8 KB

This machine will occasionally do a snap ahead of the drive roller, just in front of the liner. It happens when the contactor doesn't fire the arc, and you keep your finger on the trigger. The knurled roller will continue to try and feed wire, and it will break the wire. This happens once, and you'll very quickly get the picture. If it doesn't start an arc, lay off the trigger, and determine WHY it isn't starting the arc. Generally a lousy clamp connection on the work lead, or overly dirty steel.
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

http://www.farmersamm.com/

I never read about your background.

Did you come out of a welding school, or are you self taught.

If you came out of a school, I'd want my money back.

Ok...looked at your intro. Wow

Take that new flux core (dunno why anybody would have had you running shielded wire outside), and learn to use it.

Keep a minimal stickout (about 3/8"), don't listen to the people that say 1/2", it simply doesn't run good at that stickout.

Don't go back into the puddle. Keep the wire at the face of the puddle, and weave from side to side GENTLY. Don't try to move the wire back into the puddle. This stuff freezes fast, and you'll wind up with a piled up mess.

Go slow enough to keep a fluid puddle, again........this stuff freezes fast, and needs heat to keep it liquid.

Don't wear clothes you care about. This crap blows all sorts of holes in yer clothing

And no posting polls about whether anybody's been mean to ya.

Gees April, if you only could find a welding buddy in your area. Your current problem would've taken 15-20 min to get you going down the right road with a little help. Not to mention avoiding all the frustration and wasted time (time = money), your going through. Keep your eyes open for a mentor/welding buddy - muffler shop? local manufacturing plant? auto repair shop? gas station? Maybe your boss would kick in 25 or 50 bucks for someone to come over and give you a little training once in a while??? Your boss should know if he invests a little $ for training you, it would make him much more $ in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by farmersamm View Post
    I never read about your background.

Did you come out of a welding school, or are you self taught.

If you came out of a school, I'd want my money back.
    If I came out of welding school I think I would have a class action lawsuit against this "school"

Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post
    Would do wonders for getting her on the right track for sure

P.S. It was -47 (below zero) wind chill this morning here in northern Minnesota...
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

MIG pliers:

Name:  p70495.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  21.2 KB
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250, Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    Firepower TIG 160S (gave the TA 161 STL to the son)
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder

Quote Originally Posted by farmersamm View Post
    Ok...looked at your intro. Wow

Take that new flux core (dunno why anybody would have had you running shielded wire outside), and learn to use it.

Keep a minimal stickout (about 3/8"), don't listen to the people that say 1/2", it simply doesn't run good at that stickout.

Don't go back into the puddle. Keep the wire at the face of the puddle, and weave from side to side GENTLY. Don't try to move the wire back into the puddle. This stuff freezes fast, and you'll wind up with a piled up mess.

Go slow enough to keep a fluid puddle, again........this stuff freezes fast, and needs heat to keep it liquid.

Don't wear clothes you care about. This crap blows all sorts of holes in yer clothing

And no posting polls about whether anybody's been mean to ya.
    I was running sheilded wire because myself and my boss didn't know any better, my clothes have already been trashed from day one, I work in a junkyard where I crawl around in dumpsters and under boom trucks. My clothes are the least of my worries. I don't care if someone says something "mean" to me. Trust me I've been called much worse things than a bad welder, that's for damn sure! No one has really said anything mean anyway. I encourage constructive criticism cuz how else am I going to learn.