PlasmaCAM/Hypertherm power requirements
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

PlasmaCAM/Hypertherm power requirements

I am about to order a PlasmaCAM 4x4 table as well as a Hypertherm Powermax 65 for it.

I was talking to a CNC repair guy here at work and he asked what I had for service in my shop. I told him I have 100 amp service and he says, "Oh man. That's gonna use all of it. You won't be able to run anything else.".

I don't think that is accurate, but I don't know electricity well enough to argue. My 220 outlet is wired to a 50A breaker, so I best not be pulling more than that. I am guessing the table will run off 110V power, so it would be on a different circuit. With no tool pressure, it can't be drawing THAT much.

Please educate me!

Re: PlasmaCAM/Hypertherm power requirements

At a full 9kw output, the manual states it draws 44 amps. The electronics for the table shouldn't draw much, your air compressor could be another large draw though depending on the size.

That is true. I have a 60 gallon 3HP Puma compressor. Single stage, 220V.

You should be fine. I have almost the same setup, 5x10 Ldr table with a pm65 and a 3hp Quincy with air dryer on 100 amp service. Everything single phase and never had an issue in the last two years. Plus another guy in the shop running small wood cutting equipment at the same time.

Exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thank you for the replies!