This question makes me feel dumb. Battery in auto darken helmets.
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

This question makes me feel dumb. Battery in auto darken helmets.

Do they have batteries? And what is it like when those batteries die?
    This past week (today and yesterday) I was doing some TIG and seemed to get occasionally blinded by nasty green light. To the point where I could not see anything close to a puddle. I got through some of the easy bench work, but even other easy stuff started giving me problems. Battery? It just seemed like I just needed to strike the (HF) arc and buzz about the area to burn ? away?
    Was also doing some MIG and had my own problems there with chicken poop, but as that machine has a different helmet, no vision problems. Maybe try that bucket with TIG?

Re: This question makes me feel dumb. Battery in auto darken helmets.

You will need to post which helmet it is to get an answer. Some use batteries, some do not.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

I'm surprised they didn't reverse the polarization so they stay full dark when the battery/capacitor dies, but I guess that's the tradeoff for battery life.

Top of the line Miller

Mine was doing that, it turned out to be the sensitivity setting. I went from fast to slow and it hasn't happened again. It a relatively cheap helmet.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Everlast Powertig 250 EX, with #17 Air cooled and #18 Water cooled torch's
    No Water Cooler Yet
    Lincoln 180C Mig
    Old Sears 250 AMP Buzz Box
    Hobart AirForce 40i Plasma Cutter
    Oxy Acetylene Setup

When the Miller batteries die you get the green shade. There should be a little red light blinking it they're dying. If you stick the top of the lens behind something and block the sensor while welding you get the green shade. Green shade = bad. Don't weld if it ain't darkening. Post up the model of your helmet (I assume Digital Elite) because some need a certain brand battery to fit in the holder(s) correctly.
    "You can't out puke a buzzard"

Quote Originally Posted by Pipeliner View Post
    When the Miller batteries die you get the green shade. There should be a little red light blinking it they're dying. If you stick the top of the lens behind something and block the sensor while welding you get the green shade. Green shade = bad. Don't weld if it ain't darkening. Post up the model of your helmet (I assume Digital Elite) because some need a certain brand battery to fit in the holder(s) correctly.
    Yup, and batteries ordered. I switched to my other bucket and all is fine, other than a filthy outer lens cover. Unfortunately after getting a good green flash it is impossible to see a blinking red light on the back.
    Thanks guys.

Dunno about your Miller, but my SpeedGlass helmet uses lithium coin cells I can get at the grocery, Wally-World, or whereever . . .

Wow, like a religious experience! I changed the outer lens cover on the other bucket instead of cleaning it again. Behold and the blind shall see again.

Tad, these are twice as thick as most coin batteries I see locally. Had to get some other stuff from McMaster so they will be here tomorrow.

It's just a standard 3V lithium CR2450 although Panisonic is recommended as not all manufacturers batteries have the same shoulder height, Energizer CR2450 that are in most grocery stores are "thinner". Go figure a standard battery isn't even standard anymore...
    Ryan

Miller Multimatic 200 tig/spool gun/wireless remote
    Millermatic 350P, Bernard/XR Python guns
    Miller Dynasty 350, Coolmate 3.5 & wireless remote
    CK WF1 TIG wire feeder
    Miller Spectrum 375 Xtreme
    Optrel e684
    Miller Digital Elite
    Miller Weld-Mask

They all have batteries, it just depends on whether yours are easily replaceable. (as in designed to allow replacement, or designed to be recharged by solar panel)