Thoughts on aluminum mig options
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    60

    Thoughts on aluminum mig options

    Hey guys,

    As our shop capabilities expand some of our equipment is feeling the pressure. With some of our upcoming projects our current aluminum mig set up just won't cut it. We have a multimatic 215 w/ spool mate 100, which is a constant source of frustration, as it constantly jams and it's design requires a time consuming disassembly to get up and running again.

    I'm looking to invest in a dedicated aluminum mig. I see a lot of other shops running the 350p but I'm curious about what my other (less pricey) options are. We weld a lot of tread plate around 1/8" thickness, often 2'-6' continuous runs. 3/8" would probably be the MAX we would ever need to handle and that would be seldom.

    I'm fine with a used machine but availability seems scarce.

    Any help is appreciated!!
    Multimatic 215 w/ aluminum spool gun
    Hypertherm 45 xp
    Lincoln 140 Mig
    Millermatic 200
    Alpha 200dx
    O/A Rig
    Everett 22" abrasive saw

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin TX
    Posts
    776

    Re: Thoughts on aluminum mig options

    Are you talking about just normal surface beads with a spool gun? I like my Miller 252 with the 30A spool gun. I can't remember ever having a feed problem with it, but I don't do real production jobs.
    Miller Syncrowave 350
    Millermatic 252/ 30A spoolgun
    Miller Bobcat 225g w/ 3545 spoolgun
    Lincoln PowerArc4000
    Lincoln 175 Mig
    Lincoln 135 Mig
    Everlast 250EX Tig
    Century ac/dc 230 amp stick
    Victor O/A
    Hypertherm 1000 plasma

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    60

    Re: Thoughts on aluminum mig options

    Quote Originally Posted by DougAustinTX View Post
    Are you talking about just normal surface beads with a spool gun? I like my Miller 252 with the 30A spool gun. I can't remember ever having a feed problem with it, but I don't do real production jobs.
    Yeah, nothing structural or terribly intense. We build food trucks. Aluminum tread plate floor, bumpers, Sq tb framing, and one-offs
    Multimatic 215 w/ aluminum spool gun
    Hypertherm 45 xp
    Lincoln 140 Mig
    Millermatic 200
    Alpha 200dx
    O/A Rig
    Everett 22" abrasive saw

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    central Wis.
    Posts
    3,549

    Re: Thoughts on aluminum mig options

    Miller 252 with a 30a is a good setup. Sure, there's more dedicated specialty machines, but figure at least double the cost

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    297

    Re: Thoughts on aluminum mig options

    I'm very happy with my everlast mig 210/205. It "is" under $1,300 with 20ft. spool gun.

    http://www.everlastgenerators.com/pr...ower-i-mig-210

    600 ipm with stitch and spot weld. Burn back control and arc force. Full IGBT and weighs 40lbs.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Everlast i210 with 200a spool gun
    AHP 200x (2016)
    Two Everlast i140e
    LOTOS LTP5000D Non-Touch Pilot Arc

    "Things are never so bad that they can't get worse...."

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Laredo, Tx
    Posts
    3,465

    Re: Thoughts on aluminum mig options

    Just yesterday, I took a good hard look at the HTP Pro-Pulse MIG, simply because I ran into the video on Youtube. Sure it's not ultra-powerful at only 200A, but it does have a lot of nice features on it.

    First person on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling signature!

    HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
    Millermatic 211 Inverter MIG w/ Spoolmate 150
    Eastwood 40A Plasma cutter

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    60

    Re: Thoughts on aluminum mig options

    Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    Miller 252 with a 30a is a good setup. Sure, there's more dedicated specialty machines, but figure at least double the cost
    That does seem like a good option. I noticed the 252 says it can use the xr push pull gun as well which can hold larger aluminum spools. Have you ever used the aluma pro gun? I put 4 spools through my spool mate yesterday and the $ adds up quick on those.
    Multimatic 215 w/ aluminum spool gun
    Hypertherm 45 xp
    Lincoln 140 Mig
    Millermatic 200
    Alpha 200dx
    O/A Rig
    Everett 22" abrasive saw

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    60

    Re: Thoughts on aluminum mig options

    Quote Originally Posted by fps View Post
    I'm very happy with my everlast mig 210/205. It "is" under $1,300 with 20ft. spool gun.

    http://www.everlastgenerators.com/pr...ower-i-mig-210

    600 ipm with stitch and spot weld. Burn back control and arc force. Full IGBT and weighs 40lbs.
    That's really affordable. Thanks for the link. I looked over the specs but couldn't determine if those advanced features are available on the spool gun or just the mig gun
    Multimatic 215 w/ aluminum spool gun
    Hypertherm 45 xp
    Lincoln 140 Mig
    Millermatic 200
    Alpha 200dx
    O/A Rig
    Everett 22" abrasive saw

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    7,093

    Re: Thoughts on aluminum mig options

    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    1,294

    Re: Thoughts on aluminum mig options

    Yeah,

    I've been a bit curious about this Everlast Pulse MIG 251Si, which seems to spray arc fine in aluminum. I mean, it's not a 350 amp unit, but it sounds like 250 might be fine for your stuff. This gal is rockin' one with a spoolgun, all of which is under 2K, delivered, I believe. Everlast has 275P too, which has a push-pull gun option, but I've never seen the push-pull gun pictured with a 275P yet. But, that might be a rockin' set-up too, especially with 50% duty-cycle at 275 amps.

    Last edited by C. Livingstone; 01-05-2017 at 03:09 PM.
    Peace to you all,
    Christian Livingstone

    www.youtube.com/newjerusalemtimes

    Everlast 210EXT AC/DC (2015)
    CAT250D 200 amp DC TIG/Stick/Plasma

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    central Wis.
    Posts
    3,549

    Re: Thoughts on aluminum mig options

    Quote Originally Posted by Wandering Welder View Post
    That does seem like a good option. I noticed the 252 says it can use the xr push pull gun as well which can hold larger aluminum spools. Have you ever used the aluma pro gun? I put 4 spools through my spool mate yesterday and the $ adds up quick on those.
    I have used a push pull years ago and I liked it. You would have to do a cost study thing involving the cost of wire compared to the cost of the machine. Pricing is pretty good on the 1lb rolls if bought in a large enough quantity. I go thru 60-70 lbs a year, and I can't justify the investment, your use may be different.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    60

    Re: Thoughts on aluminum mig options

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Livingstone View Post
    Yeah,

    I've been a bit curious about this Everlast Pulse MIG 251Si, which seems to spray arc fine in aluminum. I mean, it's not a 350 amp unit, but it sounds like 250 might be fine for your stuff. This gal is rockin' one with a spoolgun, all of which is under 2K, delivered, I believe. Everlast has 275P too, which has a push-pull gun option, but I've never seen the push-pull gun pictured with a 275P yet. But, that might be a rockin' set-up too, especially with 50% duty-cycle at
    That 275p seems like a really great deal and though I've never used an everlast they seem to have a good reputation from what I'm reading. I'm not positive but it looks like the push pull gun isn't available yet
    Multimatic 215 w/ aluminum spool gun
    Hypertherm 45 xp
    Lincoln 140 Mig
    Millermatic 200
    Alpha 200dx
    O/A Rig
    Everett 22" abrasive saw

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
RSS | Home | Penton Media | Contact Us | Subscribe | For Advertisers | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement