GMAW Sch 40 Stainless Socket Welds - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: GMAW Sch 40 Stainless Socket Welds

Quote Originally Posted by xryan View Post
    I don't have enough money to put in the curse jar after I'd say what I really think
    Oh, you have that problem too?

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    I guess first step is to find out what code is specified. If no code specified, wrangle the engineer for guidance. The AWS SWPS is better than nothing.
    Agreed; and I'd be lying if I said that I had never proposed that SWPS before when the client balked at following a strict interpretation of the welding code.

Wouldn't be the first time I've encountered a blank stare when I asked about a PQR and weld test. Sometimes it seems like needless paperwork. But whenever I see the words steam pipe, or the words 'load bearing member', I err on the side of caution.
    Benson's Mobile Welding at your worksite or place of business. Serving Dayton, Ohio and the surrounding metro areas.
    AWS Certified Welding Inspector (#XXX10731) and Certified Welding Educator (#XXX1008E)

Quote Originally Posted by A_DAB_will_do View Post
    But whenever I see the words steam pipe, or the words 'load bearing member', I err on the side of caution.
    I am right there with you.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    Miller Dynasty700DX, Dynasty350DX 2ea., Dynasty200DX, ThermalArc 400 GTSW, LincolnSW200 2ea., MillerMatic350P, MillerMatic200 with spoolgun, MKCobraMig260, Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm 1250

I usually get the reverse, they want a "certified welder" to do it. When I question, "to what code do you want the certification" I get the blank stare... I do a lot of stuff for machine shops/machine building etc. Their customer wants some run of the mill machine weldment or whatever.
    Ryan

Miller Multimatic 200 tig/spool gun/wireless remote
    Millermatic 350P, Bernard/XR Python guns
    Miller Dynasty 350, Coolmate 3.5 & wireless remote
    CK WF1 TIG wire feeder
    Miller Spectrum 375 Xtreme
    Optrel e684
    Miller Digital Elite
    Miller Weld-Mask

These guys are right. If doing stainless it needs to be tig. I have seen some shops wire stainless with hard wire but only on something that's no pressure. Looks like crap. And in that pic the heat is way low it's not tied in. And I agree that it probably is bottomed out on the fits which means they had no room for play to level and square up the fittings so they are probably out of spec. I need to go to work there I could be a #1 ace welder lol. On second thought they won't be in buisness long if they still are so scratch that.

Quote Originally Posted by 7A749 View Post
    lack of time for an in depth repair and everything being covered in cow shlt.
    It has been my experience that things covered in **** usually don't get repaired with much care.

Quote Originally Posted by JJLContracting View Post
    It has been my experience that things covered in **** usually don't get repaired with much care.
    I think that statement is pretty much true lol.

It was always needing to be fixed yesterday, and as soon as the wash was done, they start milking again. I'm sure you know the drill if you have been around a dairy farm.